Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Is the SE 2A3 your flea power tube amp?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2018
    Well, semi-fleapower @ 3.5 watts per channel. Good for loudspeakers with ca. 100 dB per watt at 1 meter sensitivity.

The flea-power-diest amp here would be the Decware Zen SE-84B, which runs EL84 or 6p15-ev ("SV83") output tubes in triode mode for about, maybe :p 1.5 watts per channel or so. Nice sounding amplifier, but it could get congested playing little girl with guitar music on the Cornwalls at what I'd consider moderate volume in a moderate sized room (our MA living room).
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Boy hockey pucks sure come handy ;)
  • mhardy6647
    I am a big fan.
    I bought myself a box of 'em last winter on Amazon.
  • msg
    I didn't know you could get em on Amazon. I bought a few bags of 'em at Dicks a while back. They do come in handy. I use those and also those EVA anti-vibe pads from SupplyHouse. Also great for elevating the rear of a notebook for better cooling.

More handy stuff - a roll of Sorbothane, various 3M sticky feet and bumpons, neoprene foam roll, and high density monitor isolation pads (I like the Sound Addicted ones for value/performance/quality; one of my favorite mods for desktop computer system)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    edited June 2018
    Duh! It's not broken in yet! Give it another 50-100 hours and it'll improve! :wink:
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    With really simple, really well recorded music -- it's not bad. A little bright, and without the depth of SE 2A3 on these loudspeakers -- but not bad.

As soon as the music got a little complicated, it started to get two-dimensional and hard/glassy sounding. And very bright.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Duh! It's not broken in yet! Give it another 50-100 hours and it'll improve! :wink:
    With really simple, really well recorded music -- it's not bad. A little bright, and without the depth of SE 2A3 on these loudspeakers -- but not bad.

As soon as the music got a little complicated, it started to get two-dimensional and hard/glassy sounding. And very bright.

If it lasts that long. :/
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I'll take 71.

Sorry @robertwhouston if you're referring to the Karma giveaway, that is long over. Stick around as Karma here is abound! And welcome! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    edited June 2018
    Lol @verb beat me to it.
    Post edited by Clipdat on
  • msg
    verb wrote: »
    Sorry robertwhouston if you're referring to the Karma giveaway, that is long over. Stick around as Karma here is abound! And welcome! :smile:
    Since it isn't taken anymore, in with 71!
    It's my pant size as well, coincidentally.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I'll take 71 too.
  • Clipdat
    We haven't heard from him for a while about the amp, I'm guessing that can only mean he's absorbed in pure aural bliss. Completely overcome with emotion and re-listening to all of his favorite songs!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    ….OR...he, his house and everything else is in a pile of burnt ash about now. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    ISS flyover by long exposure(s) -- with a wide angle lens :)

26369084961_cfbe39df55_b.jpg069 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

20368041219_183cffa1b2_b.jpg022 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767

Oh my goodness, Doc, Duck!! She be comin’ down fast, and bringing the black hole with her! :tongue:

I remember as a little kid, we saw this ISS through a telescope. It was really REALLY cool, because we could the outline of it in the sky (through the telescope, of course), and instantly we knew what we were looking at.
    Micah
  • mhardy6647
    Here's a rehab blog post on these amps that I don't think I'd seen before.
    http://projectrepair.blogspot.com/2013/08/project-mistral-mm-1-hybrid-tube.html

:p

Why am I still looking at/for such things?

I am trying to figure out...

1) has anyone determined that the current Monoprice morph of this amp (these amps? maybe the 50 watter too?) actually still does supply too much heater voltage to the tubes?

2) If the heater voltage is OK, has anyone tried 6922 tubes in lieu of the 6N1/6N1-J/6N1P dual triodes in one?

I guess I am gonna have to get up off my -- well, you know -- and get the DMM out & measure the frickin' filament voltage(s)!

:|

I am so farking lazy...
  • verb
    Here's a rehab blog post on these amps that I don't think I'd seen before.
    http://projectrepair.blogspot.com/2013/08/project-mistral-mm-1-hybrid-tube.html

:p

Why am I still looking at/for such things?

I am trying to figure out...

1) has anyone determined that the current Monoprice morph of this amp (these amps? maybe the 50 watter too?) actually still does supply too much heater voltage to the tubes?

2) If the heater voltage is OK, has anyone tried 6922 tubes in lieu of the 6N1/6N1-J/6N1P dual triodes in one?

I guess I am gonna have to get up off my -- well, you know -- and get the DMM out & measure the frickin' filament voltage(s)!

:|

I am so farking lazy...

No Professor you have too many projects! At least that's my excuse :) Interesting read, are you planning to go down the same road if the filament voltages are high? Keep us posted!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    I received a pair of Rooshian (actually, Soviet, i.e., "vintage") 6N1-P twin triodes today and plopped them into the little Monoprice.

Placebo effect or otherwise, it does sound better. Quite a bit better, as I sit here listening to a Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits album on it (still on the Monitor 5s, for now).

:)
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »

I had to smile after reading the history of the amp, as having sent back to Monoprice twice for repairs! :smile:
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,236
    In with 69, please. Thank you.
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2020
    heh. heh. heh.

The (in)famous MP 25 watt "hybrid" (at best?!) amp... has Bluetooth.
    I now have a NAS.

I am not sure if I should be proud, or ashamed, to admit this -- but I am sittin' here, umm... streaming (is that what you young punk kids call it?) music from my little NAS thingy... to the Monoprice amp via Bluetooth.

I feel so... modern.

B)

3xfh6v8s69ct.jpg
    (not a "live" photo -- the source switch is now flipped the other way -- to Bluetooth)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited April 2020
    heh. heh. heh.

I feel so... modern.

B)

Well ... Um .. until you look down at the cat fur covered argyle socks

🕺🕺🕺🕺🕺

😆

• verb
    Looking good Doc! 😀
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Funny...I recently (not kidding) had a dream about this amp - and no, that doesn't mean it's the amp of my dreams! Get no ideas, Hardy! If I remember right, the gist of the dream was that someone's house was torched by the amp's flaming tendencies. Somehow though, I thought it had made its original appearance at CP by Drew.

Anyhoo...glad you're having some fun with it, Mark. It does look kind of cool - not temp-wise! - in the pic above. You are keeping a fire extinguisher handyish, no?
  • mhardy6647
    Careful... it could be yours... bwahahahahahaaaaaa!

The nearest fire extinguisher here is about 50 feet away, but... if the amp blazes, it goes out the window onto the driveway (which is nonflammable)!