Help with Xbox One?

polrbehr
polrbehr Posts: 2,825
edited April 2020 in Video Games
A friend gave me an XBox the other day to check out, it stopped working out of nowhere. I took it home and plugged it in and sure enough, nothing.
The power brick lights up (amber) but a check of the connector that plugs in to the console
reads 5.4VDC, yet output is supposed to be 12VDC.
I was told the console is like 3-4 years old, just wondering if it's worth the extra time or money to continue down what could be a dead end? If anyone has any ideas or experiences with this, please chime in. Thanks.

BTW this thing is basically mine now, he already bought another one and was going to toss it.
So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Best Answers

Answers

• polrbehr
    Thanks guys, I will look into getting a new PS, but I also know my bro-in-law has the same (?) model so I reached out to him to see if I can try his first.
    I guess if push comes to shove, spending $30-40 to get this working is worth it? Only thing is we already have a PS3, a PS4, and a Wii U, not sure I want/need another gaming platform.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Honestly, the XBOX one is far more capable than just a game console. They are pretty much media PCs now and if you have Windows 7 SP1 or newer systems (Win 8, Win 10, etc) you can share media files and streaming service with the XBOX one.

It has an optical audio output too so you can jam it right in to the fanciest DAC you can find and you'll get top notch, multi-channel sound out of it too.

I know the PS3, PS4 and the Wii/WiiU andSwitch can do similar stuff but not like what Microsoft has done with the XBOX.

The media sharing goes both ways too. I like, the kids could be playing Rayman with Jackie on the XBOX One S and I can be down in the shop with the Windows 10 system there playing Pandora or Spotify over the XBOX One and broadcasting it to my bluetooth receiver on the shop stereo.

It's worth it just for the ability to manage media over your entire home network. You don't even have to store everything on the XBOX One. I have gigs worth of old movie I ripped off of VHS tapes and such that I shared out to the XBOX. I actually watch "Erik the Viking" on the XBOX streamed from my desktop PC in my office.

If I can get it to share apps, I might be able to swing a single install of ALLDATA and have access to it on every computer via the XBOX capabilities.

I've always been a PC gamer at heart. The capabilities and experience are unmatched by consoles. Consoles just make it easy. But we got this XBOX One S for Christmas and the more I mess with it the more I'm impressed with it.

I even have the XBOX 360 on the same network and the XBOX One will let me play stuff like "The Maw" from the XBOX 360 over the network or it will access the Minecraft saved games on the 360 and let you pay them from the XBOX One.

It's pretty whiz bang, dude.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • polrbehr
    OK, I guess I'll give it a try. Assuming I can get it working, this can go in the den on the new 4K I just bought (when it arrives Monday).

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited April 2020
    Ignore this post
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Ignore this post

DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    The original "VCR" model does not have a 4K Bluray drive, just a regular Bluray drive. Just to clarify. You have to get the newer Xbox One S or X to get a 4K Bluray drive.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • polrbehr
    edited April 2020
    Almost there....

• polrbehr
    edited April 2020
    It seems the power supply was toast, I borrowed one from my brother-in-law and it powered right up. I do think the HDMI plug is wonky though, if you move the console the screen blanks out. Maybe it just needs a cleaning?
    Thanks for the replies.

kt0mmt4ymx37.jpeg