🎶 Cup of Tea 🎶

tophatjohnny
tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
edited April 2020 in The Clubhouse
In my journey to build one amazing digital music library it has opened my mind to styles I never thought I would enjoy.
The phrase "Cup of Tea" or not my cup of tea is one that gets tossed around a lot so what styles are just not your Cup of Tea? Hopefully your list will be much shorter that what is your Cup of Tea.
I'll start it off and believe it or not I do have some music that is not my cup.
1. Evil Death Metal
2. Screamo
3. Filthy lyrics Rap or and styles that use vulgar language.
4. Opera singing

Anything else I can live with and I have faves but this thread isn't intended for faves.
Say you? 🎶
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I'll bite.

I'll concur with one and two
    3. Country
    4. Opera
    5. Most modern Rap anything that has an over abundance of distorted bass
    I do however like some oldskool like Ice T, Dr Dre, Snoop and believe it or not N.W.A. I do not listen to much but I actually bought some.

PS I'm actually quite the loose leaf tea snob. So I've turned my nose up at a few cups of tea ;)
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    I'll agree on the modern rap. Compared to old school finds it lacking. N.W.A. and rheir "F the Police" was monster good.

Other than that..... Anything with a harpsichord.
    Sal Palooza
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    1. Old country
    2. New age
    3. Modern rap (except K. Lamar)
    4. Anything Russ likes

I also LOVE Lapsang and its variant, Russian Caravan.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    ^^^^ ahh, a smoky tea fan! :)

Ever try Mark T. Wendell's Hu-Kwa? It's a Taiwanese Lapsang Suchong; not as smoky as typical Chinese Lapsangs. They've marketed it for more than a century.

https://marktwendell.com/order-mark-t-wendell-teas/hu-kwa-tea
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Rap
    Country
    Opera
    Bubblegum pop

I’m sure there’s more,but that’s all I got for now.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited April 2020
    https://youtu.be/lw6qxDPmOGM
    The above link is my Cuppa Tea

The following isn't my cuppa tea

Modern Pop Music
    Bro Country
    Death Metal (Constipated Growler Vocalists)
    Rap that's not Snoop Dog, Dr Dre, N.W.A.,
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,064
    Rap
    Modern Country
    Metal

The only teas that are required for a proper existence are Orange Pekoe and Earl Grey on Sundays. With milk, of course.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Modern country
    Opera
    Death metal with cookie monster vocals
    Bubble gum pop
    Modern rap/hip hop
    Techno

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I don't like rap or electronic (that I've heard, I'm certain there is some I would like)
    Classical music (by and large) doesn't move me.
    Country music in general, particularly modern
    any rock harder than AC/DC or Van Halen
    metal
    Any of the basic copies of copies released in the past 20 years.
    Modern Christian worship has great lyrics and is very good, but the music itself is SO. BORING.
    That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Most anything else is free game and something I like.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I'll listen to anything but rap and opera. My music collection proves it.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    ^^^^ ahh, a smoky tea fan! :)

Ever try Mark T. Wendell's Hu-Kwa? It's a Taiwanese Lapsang Suchong; not as smoky as typical Chinese Lapsangs. They've marketed it for more than a century.

https://marktwendell.com/order-mark-t-wendell-teas/hu-kwa-tea

I have not, need to try it as that sounds nice. Have you ever tried Russian Caravan? same idea, its a mix of LAPS. and other blacks, very cool story behind it too.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2020
    Yup -- I like Harney's Russian Caravan (FWIW).
    "One hump or two?" as Norwood Pratt said of Caravan style teas :)
    http://jamesnorwoodpratt.com/

Speaking of good tea stories (there are many) -- you'll like the stories of Hubei-style compressed tea bricks, methinks :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressed_tea

6ufklanxtgg9.png

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Earl Grey, milk and 2 sugars.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    "cookie monster vocals" - now that's quality.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2020
    Jazzhead wrote: »
    "cookie monster vocals" - now that's quality.

... and very apt. "#

PS I am amazed (and pleased) by these admissions of Earl Grey drinkers who use milk. Technically (and my pinkie is out, now, as I delicately sip from my Limoges china cup and gravely intone these words) one is not supposed to do such. ;)

PPS Yeah, I do, too :)

Harney and Upton Tea both have some very, very good Earl Grey options.

• Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    I listen to all types of music, but particularly like music that has a strong improvisational component - bluegrass, blues, rock, jazz etc. That said, there's plenty of great music that has no improvisation at all and I own a lot of it.

Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    The music hate list is pretty short
    Country in any form and any time.
    Polka.

I’ll through in a strong dislike for whatever that stuff is than soccer moms like to play at the neighbor Zumba class.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I'll agree on the modern rap. Compared to old school finds it lacking. N.W.A. and rheir "F the Police" was monster good.

Doesn't one of them who made f the police play a cop on tv now?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited April 2020

Doesn't one of them who made f the police play a cop on tv now?

For the love of money...what shall they do. 😂😂
    And since the thread contains likes

O'Jays complete collection lives in my digital library as my soul category is the strongest I've ever seen. 😉
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Bruce Springstein
    Any pop made this century
    Electronic Dance Music
    Boy bands
    Any Rap made this century
    Bruce Springstein
  • mhardy6647
    or Bruce Springstone...

xo17d4dgm8y5.png
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Bruce Springstein
    Any pop made this century
    Electronic Dance Music
    Boy bands
    Any Rap made this century
    Bruce Springstein
    But how do you feel about Springsteen?

https://youtu.be/Uhzqny6rU28
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,064
    Or as Francis Sinatra said before a rendition of Born to Run at Madison Square Garden, "..written by Bruce Springstine.."