Iconoclast Cables

Options
JayCee
JayCee Posts: 1,479
edited April 2020 in 2 Channel Audio
Was reading the thread "Possible End Game Cables" (https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/190377/possible-endgame-cables) a few minutes ago and started to post there but decided to start a new thread, as I'll probably have more to say in the coming months.

Iconoclast cables. Not cheap but getting stellar reviews and considered "budget" w/respect to multiples higher big $ cables. I've been following a thread (VERY LONG) over on PS Audio and they have a lot of converts.

The designer, Galen Gareis, retired from a 35 year career at Belden, and recognized the need for a data driven cable design with a no nonsense approach for hi-end cables, at a "reasonable" price. Keep in mind this is subjective. Be forewarned, Galen is a scientist and goes to great lengths to answer each and every question with reasoned data driven support. IF you believe cables make a difference, and aren't inclined to dismiss his point of view, he's the guy to read.

Belden wasn't interested in entering the hi-end market, as they're primarily in the big business arena (recording studios, broadcast, etc.) but gave Galen free reign to use their facilities, develop on his own and produce the materials he needs. Paul, CEO of PS Audio (PSA), also gave him free reign to discuss this on his forum. Also of note, there's no business connection. One of the things I like about PSA is they foster a sense of community among the audio industry and don't circle the wagons when competing or opposing products are discussed. Of course, Paul would prefer you purchase his offerings, but he's a staunch advocate and supporter of his peers in the audio industry as a whole.

If you're a fan of Bluejeans Cables (BJC), Galen's teamed up w/Bob the builder (pun intended and owner of BJC) to terminate the finished cables and sell via a virtual store front. BJC continues their same no nonsense approach but with a much higher end cable than they've ever offered. Bob's a great guy to speak with, doesn't pressure sell, listens to your expectations and offers a try before you buy program. All you're out is shipping.

I love my MIT's but am going to request the different demo Iconoclast variants offered to compare against the MIT's. Hopefully, I don't chicken out. If these prove worthy...I'll be out $$$ and fear I'll fall to the bottom of the rabbit hole. Cover me, I'm going in.

wqnfh8l2p44c.png

I have no affiliation and if interested....
https://forum.psaudio.com/t/belden-iconoclast-interconnects-and-speaker-cabling/
https://www.psaudio.com/article/cables-speaker-cable-design-part-1/
https://iconoclastcable.com/
Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    edited April 2020
    Options
    That coax cable is RG62. It's a 93ohm cable. Our own @KennethSwauger had some and made a few interconnects for a few here, I was one. They are very good cables. Problem was Ken had an older spool and when I went to buy some it was mostly all copper clad steel wire. Kens was pure soft cooper.
    The design is like an air tube so the wire touches only the Teflon spiral.

Interested in your findings and I like how they have also a Ohno cast center wire.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    Was reading the thread "Possible End Game Cables" (https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/190377/possible-endgame-cables) a few minutes ago and started to post there but decided to start a new thread, as I'll probably have more to say in the coming months.

Iconoclast cables. Not cheap but getting stellar reviews and considered "budget" w/respect to multiples higher big $ cables. I've been following a thread (VERY LONG) over on PS Audio and they have a lot of converts.

The designer, Galen Gareis, retired from a 35 year career at Belden, and recognized the need for a data driven cable design with a no nonsense approach for hi-end cables, at a "reasonable" price. Keep in mind this is subjective. Be forewarned, Galen is a scientist and goes to great lengths to answer each and every question with reasoned data driven support. IF you believe cables make a difference, and aren't inclined to dismiss his point of view, he's the guy to read.

Belden wasn't interested in entering the hi-end market, as they're primarily in the big business arena (recording studios, broadcast, etc.) but gave Galen free reign to use their facilities, develop on his own and produce the materials he needs. Paul, CEO of PS Audio (PSA), also gave him free reign to discuss this on his forum. Also of note, there's no business connection. One of the things I like about PSA is they foster a sense of community among the audio industry and don't circle the wagons when competing or opposing products are discussed. Of course, Paul would prefer you purchase his offerings, but he's a staunch advocate and supporter of his peers in the audio industry as a whole.

If you're a fan of Bluejeans Cables (BJC), Galen's teamed up w/Bob the builder (pun intended and owner of BJC) to terminate the finished cables and sell via a virtual store front. BJC continues their same no nonsense approach but with a much higher end cable than they've ever offered. Bob's a great guy to speak with, doesn't pressure sell, listens to your expectations and offers a try before you buy program. All you're out is shipping.

I love my MIT's but am going to request the different demo Iconoclast variants offered to compare against the MIT's. Hopefully, I don't chicken out. If these prove worthy...I'll be out $$$ and fear I'll fall to the bottom of the rabbit hole. Cover me, I'm going in.

wqnfh8l2p44c.png

I have no affiliation and if interested....
    https://forum.psaudio.com/t/belden-iconoclast-interconnects-and-speaker-cabling/
    https://www.psaudio.com/article/cables-speaker-cable-design-part-1/
    https://iconoclastcable.com/

Interesting. I also enjoy my MIT Wires, but those S1 Speaker Wires and the Network boxes can be a pain in the keister at times.

I just need a short cable run, and the eight foot MIT's are "challenging". I might have to have a listen to the Iconoclast as well.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The only thing I might question is the pairing up with BJC. They really don't believe in higher end cables or that they make an audible difference. It may have even been Bob who told me on this forum that different metallurgy had no bearing on the sound.....or some sort of retort to that effect.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    The only thing I might question is the pairing up with BJC. They really don't believe in higher end cables or that they make an audible difference. It may have even been Bob who told me on this forum that different metallurgy had no bearing on the sound.....or some sort of retort to that effect.
    I gotta agree.
    I looked over their website and I'm not sure what to think. They look really nice and seem to have some solid science behind them. I'm not sure about the asking prices.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    Great for those that aren't 100% satisfied with the cables they now have and those just starting to build quality rigs for themselves.
    Looking forward to hearing reviews from some here that have switched from some of the great ones out there.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    I am puzzled about the price too. They went from an $80 standard blue jeans cable to a $1600 cable. That is quite a jump. It doesn't seem likely that people using standard Belden cables will "move up the line" and purchase the new design. They are catering to two very different markets and the top end market is already saturated.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    delkal wrote: »
    I am puzzled about the price too. They went from an $80 standard blue jeans cable to a $1600 cable. That is quite a jump. It doesn't seem likely that people using standard Belden cables will "move up the line" and purchase the new design. They are catering to two very different markets and the top end market is already saturated.

Right....makes one wonder
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    IMHO they would be better marketing as a separate entity
    They could still use current customer info for emailing product flyers

High end needs a better flashier website
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited April 2020
    Options
    JayCee wrote: »
    ...Galen's teamed up w/Bob the builder (pun intended and owner of BJC)...

Not sure why I typed "Bob"....must've been the builder quote on my mind. Correction, BJC is owned by "Kurt". Also, not doubting he said metallurgy doesn't make a difference, but not unrealistic that he's had a change of opinion. I know, he's a business man, but has a good reputation for being honest in his beliefs.

The claim to fame, If you read through Galen's posts, is the physical design of the cable, in conjunction with the types of metallurgy, that make the difference.
    delkal wrote: »
    Right....makes one wonder

They aren't going after the standard Belden customer and it's offered on a separate site from BJC (but, is BJC). I agree, their site(s) aren't much to write home about and, first time I looked over BJC, frustrated me 'cause I felt I had to read tons in a less than stellar format.

Lots to read through in the PSA Iconoclast thread I posted but, my takeaway from reading the past couple of years, is it's a, so to speak, marriage of BJC/Kurt and Galen that's more about making this level of cable at "affordable" vs. much higher costing products. Keeping in mind "affordable" is very subjective.

Reading Galen over the life of the thread...he's retired but still want's to tinker and this is more a labor of love. He's stated Belden, the company, is NOT interested in the highend home audio market. Galen's in a unique position, Beleden's given him continued access to their facility, resources, and, more or less, allowing this as a side project. The PSA thread has evolved to many people that are PISSED (JK) they tried them, because they came to the belief that the cables did make a difference worthy of the "subjective" "affordable" price. That...is my fear.

TBH, I had not clue about cables when I joined Club Polk in '09. CP members, and their collective positive experiences, convinced me to try MIT's. Jumped head first in when MIT had the huge B-Stock mislabled cable blowout. CP blew up with the number of folks that purchased their first MIT's then. I'm on my third pair and every new purchase of MIT was a step up from my previous purchase.

As many of you are famous for saying, "What do you have to lose?" I'll be out shipping but heck, I just paid $70 to ship the Polk L200's to the next demo participant, and I'm not in the market for a bookshelf speaker. Just did it for the experience. It'll be much less to ship cables back to Seattle if I need to.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬