line conditioners

BBUBBA
BBUBBA Posts: 66
edited May 2002 in Electronics
I want to get a line conditioner. What brand kind is best ???

running
B+K AVR307
sony dvd(need a better one )
jvc super Vhs
Jvc dish network receiver
2 RT1000i's and 1 PSW350 sub 1 PSW650 sub

:rolleyes:
Post edited by BBUBBA on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    Consider an industrial grade L.C. I'm woking on getting a TrippLite A.C. conditioner that isn't necessarily geared to audio. The result is the same if not better, but doesn't have the stigma of HT $$$ behind it. It only does A.C. If I was looking for anything else I'd look at the various Monster versions. I'm sure there's better, but Monster is more convenient and abundant.

Fish scenario: I can get a bubble-stone at a pet store for about $.49. At a bait store, it'd be $1.49. 300% mark-up. Same job, just more selective.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited April 2002
    Monstercable HTS5100.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    Consider an industrial grade L.C. I'm woking on getting a TrippLite A.C. conditioner that isn't necessarily geared to audio. The result is the same if not better, but doesn't have the stigma of HT $$$ behind it.
    I've read on several occasions that you should avoid line conditioners intended for computers (like Tripp Lite). I don't remember the reason, but I thought these were supposed to induce some kind of hum in audio gear. Do some homework in this area before you make the purchase.

Aaron
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    Monstercable HTS5100.

I'm second to this...
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited April 2002
    Check Balanced Power Technology's BP-2 if you are considering the Monster product mentioned.

www.b-p-t.com
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited April 2002
    I use two of the Tripplite LCR-2400's. Parts express has them for about $350 each. They actually provide "brown out" in addition to spike protection which is a real plus. Each one will handle 2400 watts of AC power which should be plenty for the above average power audio system.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    I searched around a bit today looking for that info I had read that warned against using computer line conditioners. The only stuff I found sounded like people's opinions and experiences with cheap line conditioners. I honestly don't see what could be wrong with using a computer line conditioner. Anybody know? Maybe the issue is that computer equipment is less susceptible to certain A/C line problems so they don't bother correcting them. These problems, while insignificant for a computer, might adversely affect audio components. It's a stretch, I know.

Aaron
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2002
    I am not an expert in electricity but (and I'm just spitballing here) that the electricity flow into a computer or a piece of audio gear is the same and if anything I would think that a computer would be as, if not more sensitive to irregularities than say an amp. Meaning, that I could buy that one Line Conditioner could possibly be more effective on one than the other but I don't see where a computer LC could actually do harm to audio gear.

Big (really) Dumb Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • rwrvpem
    rwrvpem Posts: 32
    edited April 2002
    I have a Monster Power HTS 3500. Not top of the line, but I did notice a difference in sound and picture when I hooked it up to my HT receiver. If you look on the web, there are places you can find these conditioners for less than retail. The HTS 3500 has 10 outlets, 6 unswitched, 2 switched, and 2 timed. It also has a voltage meter and conditioner sections for digital, high power, and low power components.

Some of the high dollar units have the ability to maintain a set voltage (115 Vac I believe). These are very expensive ($ 1000 +). I don't know how well they work, but you should be able to get a decent line conditioner for less than $400.

Rick
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    The one I'm trying to get would be free. I can't justify a $350 investment at this time. The "brown-out" protection would be a major plus. A couple of years ago I lost an amp and preamp to a brown-out. My mother-in-law across town lost a T.V.

I think most computer L.C. are actually just surge supressors, not actual conditioners. I don't want a spike going to my computer, but I would't worry about wave irregularities as much.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited April 2002
    Hi:

Line conditioners filter the power going to the component and take out most of the inherent noise that can travel on an AC voltage, such as in house motors on and off action, refrigerator compressors, and vacuum cleaners. This in turn offers a more stable voltage, free of noise and irregularities for the component to work with. They offer surge protedtion as well.

The cheap surge protectors you buy for computers are just that, surge protectors. You should have a good line conditioner and surge protector for your computer also. Computers though, are not as bothered by line noise as audio components.

Gary
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited April 2002
    I have a Monster Cable line conditioner (I forget the model but it was around a $120.00) and cannot say it really changed anything on a regular basis. I did reduce by 80% or so (but not eliminate) snow on the TV and static when a mixer or hair dryer runs.

I bought an RCA SCTV4000 from Walmart (about $23.00) and it had the same effect on another setup, it was also rated higher as a surge supressor .
  • har_navalta
    har_navalta Posts: 957
    edited April 2002
    Hi,

If you want a descent one try Adcom ACE 315 or 615 Surge Supressors/Line Enhancers.

Click here...
    http://www.adcom.com/main/surgesupressors.htm

I have ACE 315. I got it for $199.00. It works excellent with
    1800 watts output.

Har:lol:
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited May 2002
    I am also thinking of getting a line conditioner, but do they really work. I have been told that the cheap ones really don't do any good and actually restrict power to the powered amps causing the equipment to heat up. I would like to know if anyone using a line conditioner can hear a difference. Thanks
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited May 2002
    Well about a month ago, I shelled out some cash and got the monster power 3500. I hooked it up, and the difference wasn't dramatic, but I did notice a little bit improved imaging. I was expecting more, so to be honest I was a little dissapointed. Although I'm keeping it, so I guess I think it's worth the money.
    If your curious, I'm running All Onkyo electronics, with the new RTi speakers all around.

GuitarheadCA
  • cookaa
    cookaa Posts: 49
    edited May 2002
    Is there a signifigant difference between the Monster Cable HTS 5100 and 3600 Conditioners. THe difference in price is about 150, is the difference in product worth the extra $$.
    Thanks,
    Aaron
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited May 2002
    Stage 4 filtering,trigger's,switched outlet's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited May 2002
    The best thing to use is a combination of a UPS and line conditioner. Place the line conditioner after the UPS. Just make sure the UPS has a hight enought voltamps rating for your system. The "brown-out" protection provided by the UPS is a major plus. Most equipment failures related to power are caused by brown outs. Most line conditioners do not offer any protection from this.