Audio Blunders

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    verb wrote: »
    Back at the old house, I had a HT setup in the family room with RT1000's in the front, and RT800's in the rear. All towers, with a CS400i for the center channel. And a homegrown sub.

3 blunders:

Put the center channel on the fireplace mantel, just below the TV. Well the heat from the fireplace caused the vinyl wrap on the speaker to shrink, and de-laminate. Duh!

You skipped the biggest blunder; putting the TV too high by putting it over the fireplace.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    My of my worst blunders would be trying to biamp my old 2.3s with both amps running. In case someone is curious a pair of amps "seeing eachother" can destroy them both quicker than a finger snap.
    Another equally bad blunder involved the consumption of homemade moonshine and teaching a Mcintosh cd player how to fly. As could be expected the mcd7009 flunked those lessons miserably. The next day I ended up with a thin shard of Mcintosh glass in my foot which pained me for most of the summer.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited March 2020
    steveinaz wrote: »
    In all my years of audio, I've only had 1 failure of a component. In the early 80's I had a Pioneer A9 integrated that just literally went up in smoke one morning. I did however, cause my own failure with a very expensive Pioneer LD-1100 laser disc player, when I dropped it down some barracks steps while moving. Total loss.

Cathode resistor bypass capacitor on one channel of the "Simple 2A3" amp defecated the bed explosively one evening when our friend Jack B. and I were listening to some fairly boisterous tunes (the Mrses. were at a cooking class, learning to make perogies, if memory serves) . He figured the hifi evening was over -- 'til I pulled out the Paramours and not only were we back on line, we were back on line with SE 2A3 amplification :) "Deep depth", as the legendary O's skipper Earl Weaver used to put it.

One day a voltage amplifier tube in the Simple 2A3 failed vigorously, reminding me of the old warning on cheap Asian-made fireworks: caution! emits showers of sparks!, They were some weird old 6SN7s of unknown provenance, so I swapped 'em out for some better-pedigreed drivers, and all was well.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Back at the old house, I had a HT setup in the family room with RT1000's in the front, and RT800's in the rear. All towers, with a CS400i for the center channel. And a homegrown sub.

3 blunders:

Put the center channel on the fireplace mantel, just below the TV. Well the heat from the fireplace caused the vinyl wrap on the speaker to shrink, and de-laminate. Duh!

You skipped the biggest blunder; putting the TV too high by putting it over the fireplace.

Yep I forgot one! Thanks Bud! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    PFB would dominate this thread🤣🤣

Whatever happened to him?
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    He probably got Fed-Ex'd to the morgue instead of the mental hospital...
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021

PFB? :smile:

A search for "polkfarmboy" will provide the answer, though I'm sure some of his highlights were removed with the change to Vanilla.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Did PFB ever HAVE a successful shipment? LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • verb

PFB? :smile:

A search for "polkfarmboy" will provide the answer, though I'm sure some of his highlights were removed with the change to Vanilla.

I did, just a few so far, lol, and there is some good reading in there! Here's a sample: :smile:
    nkm8w3td4ev8.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Did PFB ever HAVE a successful shipment? LOL

Yes the skinny jeans arrived intact to his residence....
    :D
  • verb
    Lol! I fall for that trick all the time! :smile:
  • verb
    Awesome story brother! Glad you found it! And kicked the floozies to the curb! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    This didn't happen to me -- but it did happen to my hifi buddy "Redboy" at AK. He bought a gorgeous pair of Altec woofers from that auction site -- this is what he received in the package.

pro0bwrp69s5.png

Po' suckas didn't stand a chance :(

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    This didn't happen to me -- but it did happen to my hifi buddy "Redboy" at AK. He bought a gorgeous pair of Altec woofers from that auction site -- this is what he received in the package.
    Po' suckas didn't stand a chance :(

They were alone together in that dark, private shipping container for almost a week. You can't blame them for getting intimate. :o
  • mhardy6647
    all I can think of when I see those two poor Altecs is colliding galaxies.

ldoa4g7m5173.png

oh, the humanity.

• verb
    edited March 2020
    An audio blunder from my early days.

I built a subwoofer for the HT rig. When the BSR Colossus speakers I purchased from DAK (could also be considered an audio blunder) eventually gave it up, I parted them out, and decided to re-purpose the woofers. IIRC they are 15" diameter.

I had 2 of them, so what the heck, I decided to build an down firing Isobarik design! I used a software program from Blaupunkt to give me the appropriate cabinet dimensions. All good so far. Crossover was purchased from Dayton Audio.

And, to power this bad boy, I used a Carver M1.0t amp! The amp sat right on top of the sub cabinet. :smile:

Fun project, not really knowing what I was doing as it relates to audio performance, but from a mechanical perspective It was very enjoyable. The cabinet is really rock solid. Double layers of MDF, internal bracing, etc.

I ran that sub for many years. I immediately noticed after running the sub during a movie, the amp would walk a bit across the top of the cabinet. Hmmm. Warning bells? Yes! Did I do anything about it? No! Other than the re-position the Carver back on top of the cabinet.

Well, as you may have figured, one day the Carver walked off the edge of the cabinet! Boom! That was it. The Carver was dead. My lesson learned. The faceplate of the amp had a nice bend in the corner.

Eventually, I bought a internal faceplate mounted amp for it, and ran that way for a while.

I still have this baby, long retired, and I use it as an end table in the basement! :smile:

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Just realized I made one last July. I bought a single Audioquest Type 4 speaker cable from Best Buy. I paid $160 for it, so I thought it was a pair. Anyone need a single cable? 😂
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • verb
    xsmi wrote: »
    Just realized I made one last July. I bought a single Audioquest Type 4 speaker cable from Best Buy. I paid $160 for it, so I thought it was a pair. Anyone need a single cable? 😂

I never did that! :wink: I wish I hadn't! What's the length?
  • xsmi

10" lol
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Why not buy the other cable and make a pair. I assume they are better than your current cables. Otherwise why buy it?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • xsmi
    edited March 2020
    I thought about that, but I'd be paying $320 for a pair of cables, that had I bough them correctly, I would've paid $280. Actually I don't have any other cables. I threw them all away. It was old Monster Cable from the 90's.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009

10" lol

You mean 10 feet, right?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • xsmi
    Yes.
  • halo71

You lost me at DAK! lol Sorry

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • verb
    halo71 wrote: »

Lol! Yeah I have a thread on that! Somewhere here. Oh here it is! :smile:
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180310/admit-it-you-bought-something-from-dak-industries/p1
    c0novtpk83ju.png
  • halo71
    halo71 wrote: »

Lol! Yeah I have a thread on that! Somewhere here. Oh here it is! :smile:
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180310/admit-it-you-bought-something-from-dak-industries/p1
    c0novtpk83ju.png

Actually i bought a pair of those for $10 about 10 years ago. Thinking theyd make good wood shop speakers at home. 2 weeks later I was hauling them to the dumpter at work. Probably the worst speakers ever made. I thought HPM's werre bad! :smile:

--Gary--
  • f180dvgnv8dh.jpeg

That time my six year old (he never touches my stuff, until he did) decided to cue up one of my favorite tracks after I left him unattended to grab another beer. Grateful Dead- Veneta, OR ‘72 limited edition vinyl. 😢
    FKA: anton.chigurh (see profile page)