Infinity RSII....??? Any one had ears on them?

Comments

• GardenstaterGardenstater Posts: 1,024
    Very encouraging and great job so far!
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub
    Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14 gauge, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 16,693
    It may take 100's of hours to settle in
    FWIW
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 2,343
    Check the resistance on the pots if you eliminate them and replace with a resistor to compensate. I did this on my infinity's but only after finding what setting I liked first.
    One foot on audio nirvana and the other in the poor house.
  • CH46ECH46E Posts: 2,156
    Pitdogg, yes I'm aware it will take a awhile. There is a clear difference from zero hours to 26 hours of playtime. I hope they continue to get better. Do electrolytics take as long as film caps? I dont know much about electrolytics.

Audioluvr, I was going to set the pots to the half way point and measure thier resistance and go from there.

Thanks guys!
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 9,143
    I'm glad your effort to restore those is progressing VERY WELL so far. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,861
    Way to go, the Infinity's from that era are really nice speakers. Good deep full bass and the EMIT tweeters are sweet. I'm toying with the notion of doing this to my Kappa 8's.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 2,666
    CH46E wrote: »
    Pitdogg, yes I'm aware it will take a awhile. There is a clear difference from zero hours to 26 hours of playtime. I hope they continue to get better. Do electrolytics take as long as film caps? I dont know much about electrolytics.

Audioluvr, I was going to set the pots to the half way point and measure thier resistance and go from there.

Thanks guys!

At least in my experience, until I hit that couple hundred hours the performance would vary. Some days nice and smooth, other days shrill and lifeless. Hope at the end of this journey they sound as good as you hope, sounds like they are on their way. =D
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • lawdogglawdogg Posts: 376
    Awesome update, glad they are sounding so good!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • xschopxschop Posts: 1,469
    Nice. I'm not up-to-speed on all the various caps out there, but figured if it looks like you can pull the pin and toss it, then it's quality.
    The Mundord 150uf cap is 50 x 90 mm. I may just have to add a small elevated shelf to the crossover board and run longer leads.
    With me having to build an elevated shelf onto the oem crossover board I'm wondering what I should be using to extend the capacitor leads? For one side of the Jantez cap for the tweeter I just used some speaker wire I salvaged from a pair of Paradigm speakers awhile back.

Is that ok or should I pick up some solid core wire?

Thanks.
    Just use good speaker wire.
    Thanks will do.
    Depending on how much longer they need to be I've always used the clipped the clipped off other caps. If you are going longer I always keep 16 or 18 gauge teflon coated silver coated copper wire around for just that reason. I buy all mine from a guy on ebay called navyships. He has military grade wire for a good price and is a great seller.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/navships/m.html?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:MESOI&amp;_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654
    His prices are really good too. Going to have to get some of that.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Depending on how much longer they need to be I've always used the excess clipped ends I clipped off other caps after they were soldered in place. If you are going longer I always keep 16 or 18 gauge teflon coated silver coated copper wire around for just that reason. I buy all mine from a guy on ebay called navyships. He has military grade wire for a good price and is a great seller.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/navships/m.html?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:MESOI&amp;_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

Fixed
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 14,617
    Well, it's been 12 days......are you done with the upgrades yet?

Here is your next speaker purchase!

http://www.bluemoonhouse-sophos.com/infinity-irs-beta/?fbclid=IwAR28CatqYA7jLrTH8aocybfz024hwT48ZzjKSr9EbWHtyXZ6LXE2XqLDDOM

qpjhiswdfxmc.png

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
    edited March 12
    Unfortunately no. Parts Conexxion has been out of stock for the rest of the Jantzen Superior Z caps and Silver Z caps. I was going to go with Clarity caps for the mid section but decided to wait and get the Jantzens.

I'd love a set of Betas! Such a great looking speaker set too.
    edited March 22
    I found that Parts Express had the 6.8uf Superior Z-Caps in stock. Thier price was a little high but I got them anyways. Parts Conexxion has been out for sometime.

I also picked up some copper hookup wire in 16awg and a large hole perforated crossover board to make a elevated platform for the new larger caps.

Sounds like you're back on track then. :)

Fantastic! B)
    Yes, but four 12uf Jantzen Superior caps and two150uf film caps I still need are going to kill me in cost.
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 14,617
    edited March 22
    Chris...The thing in this hobby no one needs to forget is that it ain't cheap. Never forget that.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
    I feel for you Chris.
    :/

Maybe spread out the hurt by buying them over a few months time. :)

Tony M wrote: »
    I feel for you Chris.
    :/

Maybe spread out the hurt by buying them over a few months time. :)

It's not that bad. Since no one I can find has the 12uf caps in stock, I kind of have to spread it all out.
    OK. :)

Looking forward to your pictures. :p
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Chris...The thing in this hobby no one needs to forget is that it ain't cheap. Never forget that.

Tom

Don't beat yourself up over cap upgrades. Just because some of us are, well, anal, doesn't mean you won't find pleasing improvements in lesser caps. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Thanks guys.

New caps should be here tomorrow. As well as the crossover boards so I can start on a elevated board to fit the new caps.
    Sweet! Don't forget to post some pics!
    edited March 25
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Sweet! Don't forget to post some pics!

Will do. The hookup solid core 16 awg wite was on back order. I should have it next week.
    edited March 27
    My plan is to rig up the platforms tomorrow and try to get the caps in. I think I'll also try to move the 12uf caps to the new pcb board also.

These are the 6.8 uf caps and the boards are 5x7.

ntg3uzatt740.jpg
    mxcg4f60zcfo.jpg