Yet another Monitor 7 version question!! :-)

Hey all, New to the forums here but VERY excited for what I will be picking up Thursday!! Found a MINT set of Monitor 7 speakers on a local sale site!! I have been SCOURING the forums and there's TONS of info here on these speakers!! I want to rebuild the crossovers, glue the magnets and Dynamat the baskets. But first......I need to know which version these are. Tonyp063 has been a HUGE help and I can't thank him enough!! He said these appear to be 7B but these don't have the fuse holder on the input cup. I feel confident that he's correct but before I start buying parts for the crossovers I would like to know for sure. When I get my hands on them I will open them up and post pics of the crossovers so I can ask which replacement parts to purchase.

Thanks so much in advance for all the replies!! VERY excited to get these speakers!!

PS. Got the speakers, stands and original owners manual for 115 bucks!! :-)

j4rgus7sq6o5.jpg
rjhg8dnmpz9d.jpg
v6q26ibpnjgj.jpg
ica1jfd29k8j.jpg
b02c05jk7myc.jpg
ba82isklu4uw.jpg
dzll9d7ivhtp.jpg
rthfogd435pc.jpg
p4dupkluke53.jpg
qy5ey0zljsaj.jpg

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited March 2020
    I'd guess 7c. My 7B's have the Peerless Tweeter, full cabinet sized grilles and differently styled attachment pegs for grilles, no beveled edge on cabinet, drivers are not recessed into the baffle, and serial # is on the crossover cup. Also, I have a fuse for the tweeter circuit. I'll bet that yours have the polyswitch in the crossover since there is no fuse.

Congratulations, what a buy!!!
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    edited March 2020
    You got 7C's like me! Those look like theyโ€™re in perfect condition! My $20 pair was pretty nasty when I picked them up. Give em the full battery of love and they will reward you in kind.

Hereโ€™s my upgrade thread:
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/177885/monitor-7-refresh

Since then Iโ€™ve added hurricane nuts and replaced the gaskets. Great stuff. Enjoy yours!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194โ€™s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200โ€™s, R300 ๐Ÿคฉ
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7cโ€™s (194โ€™s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198โ€™s) (2x pair)...and more to come, itโ€™s a sickness.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    7Cs with SL-2000 tweeters.

Very nice pick up! Youโ€™ll get lots of enjoyment out of them. B)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    7C's
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited March 2020
    Pull the crossover, and read the values right off the caps and resistors. Always best to double check what's there versus the schematics.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Upgrade those tweeters
  • Hey all....picked up my Monitor 7Cs yesterday and they are even better than the pics made them look!! I'm SO happy with my purchase!! I told the guy I didn't need the included stands so he knocked another 20 bucks off so I got them for 95 bucks!! I'm super STOKED!! :-) The original owners manual was the icing on the cake!!

Couple questions......the crossovers look to be in EXCELLENT condition and they sound really good!! Do I even need to upgrade the components or should I leave them alone and enjoy?

Also....any ideas as to what the white milky/chalky looking stuff is on the woofer center caps? this is on both woofers.

Thanks for the replies!!

4i967xkcwk90.jpg
    iamomvwh54pu.jpg
    0zaj145smhaa.jpg
    ncwdo1tptul7.jpg
    2pj2lcndm50i.jpg
  • F1nut
    edited March 2020
    You should have bought the stands especially if they were original.

The white stuff is from the adhesive used to secure the dust cover. You may be able to remove some or all with original Windex applied to a soft cloth and gently rubbed onto the affected area.

Yes, you need to upgrade the crossovers. The caps are 30+ years old, so way past their due date and the block resistors flat out suck.

Edit: the little mustard yellow device is a polyswitch. Remove it and replace with a 0.5 ohm resistor while you're upgrading the rest.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks for the reply F1!! The stands weren't original......I don't think. I know this is a lot to ask but.....do you happen to have a parts list for what I would need to do a full XO rebuild? I can do the soldering work I just want to make sure I get the correct components! Thanks!!
  • F1nut
    Ok, I looked at your earlier pics, not original stands, but you'll need to put the speakers on stands, so maybe go back and get them. You won't find proper stands for $20.00.

Caps
    12uF Sonicap Gen I
    34uF Sonicap Gen I

Resistors
    0.5 ohm 10 or 12 watt Vishay/Mills
    2 ohm 10 or 12 watt Vishay/Mills

President of Club Polk

• F1.....Thank you very much!! I'll get parts on the way!!
  • F1....WOW!! 215 bucks to rebuild my 95 dollar speaker XOs!! LOL!! I'll have to mull this one over a bit!! ๐Ÿค‘๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜‚ Is there anywhere but Sonic Craft to purchase these?

Thanks again for your help!!
  • F1nut
    edited March 2020
    Of course there are cheaper caps, but they don't sound good. Don't forget to replace those nasty SL2000 tweeters with the RD0194. For well under $500.00 you'll have a pair of speakers that will easily outperform much more expensive ones.

Get the stands!!!

President of Club Polk

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Jesseโ€™s right, get the crossovers redone with quality parts. These speakers will be making you happy for 30 more years. Do the tweets too and by all means, get those stands! They give the proper height and angle to your speakers.
  • Gardenstater
    I'm guessing you will *like* the way these speakers sound as is, but just wait until you do the upgrades! You will not be disappointed. You pretty much stole em for the price you paid, so you have more money for the upgrades that will make them really shine. No hurry though.

Yes, I would get those stands as well, which are also a downright steal for $20. You definitely don't want to put them on the floor.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • OK.....I'm convinced....I'll start with pulling the 6.5 drivers and gluing the magnets and order the XO parts and do those. A bit later I will swap out the tweeters. I will admit the current tweets have a really weird "hollow" sound to them. And I totally understand the stands......sweet spot is magical!! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿค˜
    BTW....where is a good source for the new tweeters? Does Polk still sell them or is that an ebay thing?
    Thanks again for all the helpful replies!! I absolutely LOVE forums like this versus the ones that are dead!! Post a comment.....crickets!! ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Polk did have them or they can point you to who is carrying them. Give Polk customer service a call and mention you belong to the polk forum you will get a small discount and free shipping. If they point you somewhere else the cost will be 60.00 each and you pay shipping.
    New tweeters number is RD-0194.
    Welcome aboard.
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 2020
    fwiw it looks like they are on sale for $55 at midwestspeakerrepair.com

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/home-audio/tweeters/polk-audio-1-tweeters/polk-audio-sl2000-1-inch-dome-tweeter/

Check those MW's carefully to make sure the voice coils aren't binding at all when you manually exercise the cones. Otherwise, no point in gluing the magnets until they're fixed or replaced.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • pitdogg2
    48.00 at Polk if they have them.
  • Well......just got off the phone with Polk. Even after telling the guy I was forum member the price for RD0194 tweeters was 60 bucks each. I'll look elsewhere. โ˜น
  • pitdogg2
    Well......just got off the phone with Polk. Even after telling the guy I was forum member the price for RD0194 tweeters was 60 bucks each. I'll look elsewhere. โ˜น

Somethings not right. they should be 48.00 each for us.
  • F1nut
    Well......just got off the phone with Polk. Even after telling the guy I was forum member the price for RD0194 tweeters was 60 bucks each. I'll look elsewhere. โ˜น

They are $54.95 at Midwest, which is the only other place you will find them.

FYI, $60.00 for a tweeter is cheap compared to many out there.

President of Club Polk

• Made another call to Polk and got a different agent and he did indeed sell me the tweeters for 48 bucks each plus tax and free shipping!! Wound up being 105 and some change!! VERY happy Polk customer.....again!! ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • pitdogg2
    Glad you called back.
  • Me too!! ๐Ÿ˜Š
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    Sonic Craft has Cardas Binding posts on sale currently that I believe fit the original holes in the binding post cups. Replacing the stock binding posts with these yielded a noticeable sonic improvement on my vintage Polks.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses