Explain the Toilet paper thing please

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,031
Ok ,
Toilet paper has been basically out of stock everywhere. People are buying it when it's found in massive amounts. We usually keep a healthy stock as my wife always gets great deals at CVS. My Daughter works as Giant Food Store and kept an eye out for us. But every time they put some on the shelves, it sold out in minutes.
Yesterday she Texted me and told me they got some in and are going to put some out. She told me to come up now and grab some. She was doing reshop and was hanging around that isle. I got there and they just finished putting some out. I grabbed 8 rolls of Scott 1000 sheet which is what we use anyway and I felt like I just found gold.
When I was ringing up my rolls I noticed that the isle was already just about empty already within minutes.
Of all things for people to go crazy over why this?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited March 2020
    There's plenty to go around. It's the gluttons that cause the issues with the tissues.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I don't know that there is any explanation other than the initial panic over thought of supply line disruption for essentials. Now it seems like people who wouldn't normally hoard may buy double or more just because they feel they might not be able to get it when they need it because of others' initial hoarding.

I've heard some stores putting a limit, but that just leads to people buying their limit and then having someone else buy more for them. My favorite is the sign that says Please Be Considerate. Just seems a better method - an attempt at appealing to conscience. Still, there will be those that think, "Eff everyone else I'm out for me and my family." Understandable to an extent, but c'mon, this is TP.

I've caught myself considering buying extra of stuff to stock up a little. Makes sense since we're supposed to be isolating a bit, but come on, Sam's Club sells TP in bags of 5x9 rolls. That's 45 rolls of TP, per. Who needs 90 or 135 rolls of TP?

As last week progressed, I began to see more "community pulling together" type stuff. People may be starting to realize that there's definitely going to be a burden, and we can choose to spread it around, share it so it's not so weighted, or just say screw others and be out for ourselves.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Drink strong coffee-mix with eggs-rice-beans-wait 30 minutes= toilet paper.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    The hemmoragic DJIA seems to dictate concurrent TP usage.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    I'm thinking that maybe people figure that since we basically are going to just print money and create it out of thin air going forward, that maybe the dollar is going to be put on the Toilet Paper Standard.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    mantis wrote: »
    I grabbed 8 rolls of Scott 1000 sheet which is what we use anyway

I feel terrible for your ****...Scott’s...why!?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mrbiron
    msg wrote: »
    mrbiron wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »
    I grabbed 8 rolls of Scott 1000 sheet which is what we use anyway

I feel terrible for your ****...Scott’s...why!?

Because not everyone enjoys Emory Cloth like you.

Lambs wool you peasant!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Still on the lamb!
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    we don't seem to have any of those issues. Been using Scott Since forever.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I don't know what yous guys problem is...all it takes is a couple of sheets to dry your hands after washing them
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    My lawn is covered in pine cones and goose fecal matter.

What do?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • txcoastal1
    Jstas wrote: »
    My lawn is covered in pine cones and goose fecal matter.

What do?

The old water hose bidet method??
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited March 2020
    Weeeellllll....hokay! But that well water is gonna be cee oh ehl dee COLD!

Fair warning...maybe let the hose run a bit before taking a drink...k?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    88x5mki3w4ho.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • txcoastal1
    Might be a good time to repurpose and clear out the old sock drawer ;)

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    How to use a single square of tp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKsFUiS8QPM

My grandfather (rest his soul) used to 'educate' us of that method 40+ years ago! I still think he came up with that idea. After all, he swore he was the inventor of many things including the 3-way switch. He was an honest man...
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Is anybody buying TP Company stocks?
    Maybe we should be!

Anybody remember a year or so ago, the news media were yelling.." Venezuela has no toilet paper now!" I know I heard it a few times. I guess a million others heard it too.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mrbiron
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Yours are probably crispy and will merely scrape your ****...
  • txcoastal1
    mrbiron wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Yours are probably crispy and will merely scrape your ****...

I’m more concerned about the ones with holes

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    "One fool makes many"?
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    I just purchased 8 cases of Imodium. I won’t be needing toilet paper for a while.
    See my profile for list of gear.