Handwritten Capacitor Values?

Options
Does anyone know why the rating on these Sonic Caps appears handwritten.
Has a cap of a different value been modified, or has the stamped rating simply been altered?

photo borrowed from another current thread:
https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/editor/s0/fn2sqbg9s2qp.jpeg

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,546
    Options
    I'm not sure why, but I had the same thing happen on the Sonicaps I used for my JBL L80t rebuild.

I wonder if they were made for one value but tested at a different value. Or they may have been a customs value that they made a limited batch of????
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    Once the cap is made you can't alter the value, so definitely not that.

Almost looks like a printer problem as part of the u is also touched up. You can always measure the cap to check the value and feel free the call Sonic Craft to ask why. Real nice friendly folks.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    These excellent caps always come with the value handwritten and cost significantly more than Sonicap.
    w4mftv9lmzsu.gif
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited March 2020
    Options
    According to their product description: "Tolerance is better than 5%". After a production run, all the capacitors are measured. If their measured value falls outside the + or - 5% tolerance, they're put aside, and sold as custom values. 33uf is a common value available from many different manufacturers. 34uf isn't, but I'm pretty sure Jeff knows Polk's vintage Monitors use that value a lot, so he probably bins high value capacitors from a 33uf production run that are within 5% of 34uf, and hand labels them.
    Every 34uf Capacitor I've ordered from Sonic Craft was handwritten.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Astrl55
    Astrl55 Posts: 55
    Options
    Thank you all for the explanation -- this forum is one of the highest and best uses of the internet.