Replacement tweeter for RTI A3 (RD0690-3 tweeter)

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a replacement tweeter for a used pair of RTI A3's I found on CL. Rather than throwing them out, I want to try fixing them.

Any idea where I can get them from other than the $90 options on eBay?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Did you call Polk CS?
  • Yes, I have. It is $60 plus shipping through Polk. A little expensive if you consider new A3's are $260.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Yes, I have. It is $60 plus shipping through Polk. A little expensive if you consider new A3's are $260.

Probably less if you tell them you're a forum member. Guessing $50 with free shipping.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Yes, I have. It is $60 plus shipping through Polk. A little expensive if you consider new A3's are $260.

I agree, does sound fairly steep. I get that replacement OEM parts usually cost more, but being into DIY, I know what the price of that tweeter minus the "Polk" faceplate is, and it quite a disparity.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited October 2019
    K_M wrote: »

I agree, does sound fairly steep. I get that replacement OEM parts usually cost more, but being into DIY, I know what the price of that tweeter minus the "Polk" faceplate is, and it quite a disparity.

So what is the price of that tweeter (without the Polk faceplate)? Can you provide some links to where he can get one (assuming the guy is still around, he only made 2 posts almost 2 months ago...)

I am not trying to be snarky here, I have a pair of RTi10s that I would not mind having
    one or two replacements for.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • K_M
    The issue is removing the face plate, as it is glued in place.
    It can be done technically, but it very tedious separating the 2 glued parts.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    How about answering the question, "So what is the price of that tweeter (without the Polk faceplate)? Can you provide some links to where he can get one."
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Still waiting.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    And still waiting........

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    You have no idea the amount of time involved with researching 207 lol's, give her/him/it time to finish this research of national security proportion. Plus, it may want to keep the hook up pricing to itself, or, the separating of the name plates didn't go as planned and its fingers are stuck together. Just be patient Jesse.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Any RTi A series tweeter will work allowing a broader search parameter. I may be able to help. I have several irons in the fire.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • K_M
    edited March 2020
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-nd25fn-4-1-silk-dome-neodymium-tweeter-element-4-ohm--275-053
    (This is actually a Vifa tweeter, just renamed for dayton audio)

Two guys supposedly tried this tweeter also, but never heard back, how their experience went. The removal of the old one is fairly hard to do and tedious. Installing the new one is relatively easy.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited March 2020
    K_M wrote: »
    https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-nd25fn-4-1-silk-dome-neodymium-tweeter-element-4-ohm--275-053
    (This is actually a Vifa tweeter, just renamed for dayton audio)

Two guys supposedly tried this tweeter also, but never heard back, how their experience went. The removal of the old one is fairly hard to do and tedious. Installing the new one is relatively easy.
    Interesting... I’ve looked at this very same tweeter as a RDO-690 replacement!

I think it should fit w/little trouble. Graph is nearly flat and, right now, tough to beat the price. That Vifa detail important as their rep precedes. Thanks for the input :)

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work