Replacement tweeter for RTI A3 (RD0690-3 tweeter)

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a replacement tweeter for a used pair of RTI A3's I found on CL. Rather than throwing them out, I want to try fixing them.

Any idea where I can get them from other than the $90 options on eBay?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Comments

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,715
    Did you call Polk CS?
  • Yes, I have. It is $60 plus shipping through Polk. A little expensive if you consider new A3's are $260.
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,558
    Yes, I have. It is $60 plus shipping through Polk. A little expensive if you consider new A3's are $260.

Probably less if you tell them you're a forum member. Guessing $50 with free shipping.
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,715
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,519
    Yes, I have. It is $60 plus shipping through Polk. A little expensive if you consider new A3's are $260.

I agree, does sound fairly steep. I get that replacement OEM parts usually cost more, but being into DIY, I know what the price of that tweeter minus the "Polk" faceplate is, and it quite a disparity.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

• polrbehrpolrbehr Posts: 2,416
    edited October 1
    K_M wrote: »

I agree, does sound fairly steep. I get that replacement OEM parts usually cost more, but being into DIY, I know what the price of that tweeter minus the "Polk" faceplate is, and it quite a disparity.

So what is the price of that tweeter (without the Polk faceplate)? Can you provide some links to where he can get one (assuming the guy is still around, he only made 2 posts almost 2 months ago...)

I am not trying to be snarky here, I have a pair of RTi10s that I would not mind having
    one or two replacements for.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,519
    The issue is removing the face plate, as it is glued in place.
    It can be done technically, but it very tedious separating the 2 glued parts.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,966
    How about answering the question, "So what is the price of that tweeter (without the Polk faceplate)? Can you provide some links to where he can get one."
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Still waiting.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

And still waiting........

President of Club Polk

• kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,392
    You have no idea the amount of time involved with researching 207 lol's, give her/him/it time to finish this research of national security proportion. Plus, it may want to keep the hook up pricing to itself, or, the separating of the name plates didn't go as planned and its fingers are stuck together. Just be patient Jesse.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,250
    Any RTi A series tweeter will work allowing a broader search parameter. I may be able to help. I have several irons in the fire.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, DirecTV Rcvr, Xbox 360, Dennon LDP, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside & out

LR: tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; M&T - 981
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: an Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Hafler XL280 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3
    Power Conditioning & Distribution: