Scary virus outbreak in China

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,167
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The “Stupid People” derail every thread.

Who are the "stupid people" ?? LOL!!!

Well, from a stoner's viewpoint I suppose you can count me into the Klub.
    Sal Palooza
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,942
    So some airlines are cutting capacity and offering their employees LWOP....per CNBC. If business and leisure travel goes south....so will the economy.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    Travel has already gone south on the international side. Airlines are parking some aircraft for the time being because of lack of people who want to fly. There are usually three return flights a day to my local international airport on British Airways from London. Right now there's only one. As long as those planes are on the ground the airline industry will be bleeding cash.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Found the cure....

w20e0fxg93xw.jpg
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,119
    edited March 2020
    Well we have the first case in NJ now. Now the fun begins in the most densely populated state.

NJ health officials say state has 1st positive COVID-19 test
    Update 11 p.m. EST March 4: A man in his 30s who’s hospitalized in Bergen County has New Jersey’s first positive test for COVID-19, Gov. Phil Murphy said in a statement Wednesday.

State health officials have sent the results to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to confirm the case, Murphy said.

“We take this situation very seriously and have been preparing for this for weeks,” Murphy said in the statement. “I urge residents to remain calm and use resources from the New Jersey Department of Health and Centers for Disease Control to prepare and prevent the spread of infection.”

Local and state health officials are tracing the man’s contacts and “taking appropriate public health actions,” Murphy said.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,189
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • huggies
    huggies Posts: 149
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    The “Stupid People” derail every thread.

Who are the "stupid people" ?? LOL!!!

This guy, https://foxnews.com/health/n-h-man-who-ignored-advice-to-stay-home-before-he-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-prompts-self-quarantine-questions

Can't get more dumb, or selfish.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Wow. Today (Thursday) Dow is down 700 points in first 30 minutes as more virus cases in US are reported. Definitely a roller coaster this week.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,080
    treitz3 wrote: »

Couldn’t help it. Had to (literally) LOL . . . GONNA happen!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Think of how many stock "Players" are getting richer buying on the down and selling on the highs every 2 days now. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,297
    Wow. Today (Thursday) Dow is down 700 points in first 30 minutes as more virus cases in US are reported. Definitely a roller coaster this week.

I think today’s drop is due to Warren dropping out, which increases the chances of Bernie getting the nomination.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,872
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    So some airlines are cutting capacity and offering their employees LWOP....per CNBC. If business and leisure travel goes south....so will the economy.
    There are multiple signs that travel is suffering. Two large corporations that I am involved with have already “banned” all travel and conferences, without exception. What will happen in Vegas when the hotels start to empty because of canceled conferences?

I have flights planned in the coming weeks/months. The Business Class cabin on these flights is typically completely booked at least a month in advance, and if one wants to avail one’s self of the best seats, it is prudent to book at least three months in advance. Now? Many airlines have waived cancelation fees, and there are over a dozen available seats a week before departure.

This is far from over IMO.
    Alea jacta est!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,555
    New work directive- wipe down everything in the office wipable
    twice a day. Let the games begin!!!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Here in Chicago, a few conventions have been canceled too. Wife had one coming up next month in Miami that is probably going to be canceled also.

Companies are definitely going to take a hit from this. What can they do though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Kex
    They cannot do anything, but, IMO, this is where the real risk of an unexpected recession lies, which is something that seemed unlikely until 2021, or later, just two weeks ago.

Just imagine the knock on effect on the service industry: car rentals, restaurants...
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    A patient was recently diagnosed in NYC. He had his family drive him to the hospital, where he is being treated, prior to the diagnosis. Everyone in the car (including a family friend who was not previously in contact with him - presumably the owner of the vehicle) has now tested positive.

It’s not obvious that the media is hellbent on anything, IMO, but I only read the business media, so my viewpoint is limited. I never listen to any broadcast media, period, and I don’t read about politics either.

The fact remains that until the CDC stopped reporting testing numbers on March 1, the U.S. had tested fewer than 500 cases, whereas every other industrialized nation has tested thousands, tens of thousands, or even millions. What happens when the U.S. testing finally catches up? The numbers of cases will still remain in the hundreds? That conclusion would defy logic.
    Alea jacta est!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,297
    Testing is pointless. This thing is transmissible enough that it’s going to run it’s course regardless of our best efforts.

Protect the elderly and otherwise compromised, and carry on. Yea, you’ll probably get sick, and maybe be out of action for a day or two, but life goes on.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Gardenstater
    Testing might keep it from becoming a pandemic before a vaccine can be developed, if it lets you isolate those infected so that they don't each infect multiple other people. So it is very much not pointless.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    My company is coming up with plans to help Schools stay in session in a virtual environment. So hopefully we can keep the kids learning.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Gardenstater
    edited March 2020
    nooshinjohn no offense buddy but I'm so glad you're not in charge of decision making at the CDC

What I mean is you have to work on it from EVERY angle.....slowing it's progress..........working on a vaccine..........and exploring better treatments for the sick.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    nooshinjohn no offense buddy but I'm so glad you're not in charge of decision making at the CDC

So am I... LOL
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Deleted all the political posts. We all know how muddy politics can make things so please let's refrain from bringing them up in the slightest. If I have to continue taking posts down from this thread I am just going to close it :smile:
  • Gardenstater
    I hope you mean partisan politics because there's no way you can exclude politics from something like this, where govt. agencies are making decisions. Look how fast Congress appropriated $8B + in funding when they found out the deathrate for 70+ yr olds with cardiovascular disease.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • BlueFox
    I am 70 with a minor heart issue. Send some of that $8B to me, and I won’t catch this virus. (I hope.). :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    I guess stating that businesses should continue to operate as normal is a political statement....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Kex
    AlmaGarcia wrote: »
    Deleted all the political posts. ...If I have to continue taking posts down from this thread I am just going to close it
    I would ventre that such is the objective of some of the LOL crowd in this thread. We’ll see if they continue so that their desire comes to fruition.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    edited March 2020
    It would probably be best just to close it, as something this big has political written all over it, hard not to bring it up even a little, they are tied at the hips.. If the powers that be bring up anything they are doing, more than likely someone will mention it, not because they want to break the rules, but because at this level it’s important to be able to talk about, the bigger question is can everyone be civil and an adult about it..
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    I would guess this is or will have a big effect on Polks business as well..
  • BlueFox
    Should benefit any business that makes home entertainment equipment. It already is negatively affecting airlines as people skip trips and stay home.

Three 20 amp circuits.
This discussion has been closed.