Just shipped an amp out for repair

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
Last Friday I went to listen to some tunes, and the right amp wouldn’t turn on. Great. It is only five years old, but I guess these things happen. However, I had to buy a box from Pass, and it arrived yesterday. Let me tell you, trying to get a 150 pound amp ready for shipment is work. Anyway, it just got picked up, so hopefully I will soon be back in business.

Until then I am listening to the cable music channels (Rock, Metal, Classic) and it sounds pretty good with sound bar.
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Bummer Bud ☹️
    I hope all ends well with shipping and repair.
  • BlueFox
    Me too. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    150 pounds?!

Hope you had an engine hoist.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    That's a big bummer for sure. :#

Sad you had to pay for the box considering the original cost of those beauties.

I hope it's still under warranty.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Last Friday I went to listen to some tunes, and the right amp wouldn’t turn on. Great. It is only five years old, but I guess these things happen. However, I had to buy a box from Pass, and it arrived yesterday. Let me tell you, trying to get a 150 pound amp ready for shipment is work. Anyway, it just got picked up, so hopefully I will soon be back in business.

Until then I am listening to the cable music channels (Rock, Metal, Classic) and it sounds pretty good with sound bar.

You said that while drinking a chilled glass of Thunderbird, didn’t you?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Maybe "Mad Dog 20/20" would be better. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • BlueFox
    Tony M wrote: »
    That's a big bummer for sure. :#

Sad you had to pay for the box considering the original cost of those beauties.

I hope it's still under warranty.

I was kind of irked I had to buy the box, but not having empty boxes sitting around made it worth the cost. I’m not sure of the warranty. I guess I will find out. Now that I am retired I am getting nickel-dimed to death. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited March 2020
    how much did they charge for the box? I've heard horror tales of $200 boxes :'(
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • BlueFox
    Not that bad, but still expensive. $100.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Yeah... you have to pay for the box, and the shipping of the (supposedly large) empty box, so $100 isn’t far off IMO.

Standard procedure for specialized gear: they cannot guarantee safe shipment of equipment that weighs 150 lbs if it’s not in the right packing materials.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Last Friday I went to listen to some tunes, and the right amp wouldn’t turn on. Great. It is only five years old, but I guess these things happen.

What kind of troubleshooting techniques did Pass have you try before it was determined that the amp would have to be shipped in for service?
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Sorry for the amp troubles Bud.

I recently had a scare with my BAT VK-255SE. I sat down to listen to Floyd's Obscured By Clouds CD about a month ago, and found the left channel to sound distorted. I looked into the top of the amp and found both of the LED's on the left channel to be dim and/or out. I shut the system down and the next day sent an e-mail to Victor Khomenko at Balanced Audio Technology asking what may be wrong with the amp (The amp is only about 2 years old for reference). He said to replace the fuses in the left channel, which I did. That solved the problem! Not sure why the fuses blew (which unfortunately were the now unavailable Hi-Fi Tuning Gold fuses) but they did. Victor said it may be a "transient" voltage through the amp that took out the fuses in the left channel. Anyway, after replacing the left chanel fuses with the stock replacement fuses, the VK-255SE works perfectly.

I hope the repair of your Pass amp is as easily accomplished Bud. And I hope your warrenty covers your repair costs. Please let us know how things go.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I can relate to the hassle of moving a 150lb amp. Mine are 3lbs short of that mark but I cannot imagine boxing one up for shipping. I'm thinking that has to be at least a 2 person job?
    Good luck to you in having it fixed and arriving back home without incident.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    what's so bad is a lot of the new amps don't have handles. :'(
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    krazypolk wrote: »
    150 pounds?!

Hope you had an engine hoist.

With all the heavy metal going on😂😂
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • BlueFox
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Last Friday I went to listen to some tunes, and the right amp wouldn’t turn on. Great. It is only five years old, but I guess these things happen.

What kind of troubleshooting techniques did Pass have you try before it was determined that the amp would have to be shipped in for service?

Pass didn’t suggest anything as I only contacted them for return instructions. It was dead. I swapped AC circuits. No help. If a fuse is blown it is inside the amp. As Monty Python says, ‘This amp is dead. It has ceased to exist.’

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    edited March 2020
    I can relate to the hassle of moving a 150lb amp. Mine are 3lbs short of that mark but I cannot imagine boxing one up for shipping. I'm thinking that has to be at least a 2 person job?
    Good luck to you in having it fixed and arriving back home without incident.

I did it by myself. I placed the box on its side, and walked the amp into it. Then I walked that box into the shipping box. I was beat when done. If I didn’t have a hand cart to get the box from the living room to the garage I would have been in trouble.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Pass didn’t suggest anything as I only contacted them for return instructions. It was dead. I swapped AC circuits. No help. If a fuse is blown it is inside the amp. As Monty Python says, ‘This amp is dead. It has ceased to exist.’

The X600.5 does not use fuse protection. It has a magnetic circuit breaker.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    How far away are you from Pass Labs, Bud? If you are within 100 miles or so, I would have taken it there personally.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    He's roughly 150 miles away from them.
  • BlueFox
    I did consider taking it myself, and decided not to.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Throwing the dice on shipping. You're a bold man.
    I would have drove.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Sorry about your loss, @BlueFox ! I'm sure everything will work out for you! Do you have a spare amp to do the duty while the PASS is being fixed?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Cambridge Audio IIRC.
  • BlueFox
    I have been listening to three music channels on the cable TV. I have a sound bar, and it sounds pretty good.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I have been listening to three music channels on the cable TV. I have a sound bar, and it sounds pretty good.

If you need a new home for your gear, let me know. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Pass Labs could have provided wheels to move that 150 pound amp similar to what GE did for large transformers in Pittsfield MA in the 60's and 70's. I believe the largest transformers were assembled on the train flatbeds in the factory. My first job was with the GE Medium Transformer Division.

crbil8ilyzoz.png

e6di4an0ktuz.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • BlueFox
    Pass has the amp. Hopefully they will fix it, burn it in, and ship it back next week. Tonight is Tuesday beer and music night, so I will be listening to the Metal channel on the cable. I have to admit that it is tolerable with the sound bar. Just turn the picture off, and listen. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Enjoy your music night, @BlueFox!
    Alea jacta est!
  • BlueFox
    I get my amp back tomorrow (Friday). Hopefully, early in the day so it can warm up before nighttime listening. I am not looking forward to getting a 150 lb amp into the living room, and then on a shelf.

Three 20 amp circuits.