The Harmless Un-reported Virus

marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,862
China’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention estimated a fatality rate among coronavirus patients in mainland China — where COVID-19 first appeared in late 2019 — of about 2.3 percent as of Feb. 24.
Of more than 82,000 confirmed cases globally, Johns Hopkins reports about 2,800 have died.
None have been in the United States.
By comparison, the flu kills an estimated 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide every year, Maragakis said. Between 12,000 and 61,000 of those deaths occur in the U.S.
Here’s a breakdown of the numbers estimated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention this flu season:
Flu Illnesses 29 million
Flu Hospitalizations 280,000
Flu Deaths 16,000
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I had thought we had a couple of deaths here from COVID-19 Marvin.
    At least one

But yes a long long way from the flu strains.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    edited March 2020
    The issue is the much higher death *rate* (2.3% vs 0.06% = 42 x higher) and the fact that the coronovirus is just getting started as far as the USA is concerned, but I'm stating the obvious here.....
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I had thought we had a couple of deaths here from COVID-19 Marvin.
    At least one

But yes a long long way from the flu strains.

one death in the us just reported.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    2,800 of 82,000?? If that’s right that’s almost 3.5% although I keep reading 2.3% also.

Many do die from the flu, however millions are infected each year. Last I saw the risk of dying from the flu was less than 1%

I think covid-19 is much more dangerous. It just isn’t as widespread; thank goodness.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    r7c5pfypsob0.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    marvda1 wrote: »
    China’s Center for Disease Control and Prevention estimated a fatality rate among coronavirus patients in mainland China — where COVID-19 first appeared in late 2019 — of about 2.3 percent as of Feb. 24.
    Of more than 82,000 confirmed cases globally, Johns Hopkins reports about 2,800 have died.
    None have been in the United States.
    By comparison, the flu kills an estimated 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide every year, Maragakis said. Between 12,000 and 61,000 of those deaths occur in the U.S.
    Here’s a breakdown of the numbers estimated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention this flu season:
    Flu Illnesses 29 million
    Flu Hospitalizations 280,000
    Flu Deaths 16,000

The death rate for coronavirus is MUCH lower. For every confirmed case there are hundreds (thousands?) of other people that got sick but didn't have to go to a hospital. They probably though they had a bad cold. Looking at the US flu stats if you have to be hospitalized for the flu you have a 5.7% chance of dying. And this is not a bad year for the flu.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Good post on this subject on the What’s Best forum.

“Normal flu kills around 60K people each year. This is normal. There is nothing to hype about it. Normal flu's mortality rate is around 0.01%.

So 60M have flu each year and 60K dies. No need to panic if you already have normal precautions.

Coronovirus has mortality rate of 3 to 6%. It is as contagious as normal flu.

Let's do the math now.

If you do not hype, take extraordinary precautions and see it as a normal flu 60M people will have the Coronovirus this year in USA.

AND 3M will die from it.

So deaths caused by flu will rise from 60K to 3M. That is 3 million people meaning if you have 200 friends in your Facebook profile around 10 of them will be dead until the end of the year. It may be your son, father, coworker, best friend etc.

That is EACH YEAR until a cure is found since the virus evolves very rapidly and it is said that recovery is not a guarantee for another episode.

Take into account the medical system trying to deal with 60M near death patients.

So there is no need to act like the world is over but we all have to take this Coronovirus threat very very very seriously. As Bill Gates says, this is some lethal virus that comes and goes ones in every century. It is definitely not your common flu.”

Post 369
    https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/coronavirus.29969/page-19

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited March 2020
    BlueFox wrote: »

So deaths caused by flu will rise from 60K to 3M. That is 3 million people meaning if you have 200 friends in your Facebook profile around 10 of them will be dead until the end of the year. It may be your son, father, coworker, best friend etc.

I'm happy to know that being dead from this virus lasts only until the end of the year, unless they wake up as zombies.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2020
    Another interesting fact about this COVID-19 virus is that 1% of it's genome can evolve/change in a 24hour period.
    As a comparison in humans it would take 30 million years for the same 1% evolution of the genome.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Math check, nothing else...

60k out of 60M is 0.1%, not 0.01%
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Another interesting fact about this COVID-19 virus is that 1% of it's genome can evolve/change in a 24hour period.
    As a comparison in humans it would take 30 million years for the same 1% evolution of the genome.

Not so sure that's factually correct. By that theory, your saying the human genome hasn't evolved 1% since we were apes. Could explain my penchant for bannanas though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2020
    ^^ Apes diverged from other mammals some 90M years ago. There is a 3.1% difference in our genome vs apes.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Yes but a 1% difference in genome is like going from some small furry rodent to Steve Jobs
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    BlueFox wrote: »

I'm happy to know that being dead from this virus lasts only until the end of the year, unless they wake up as zombies.

Or after the year you come back to life as you were.
  • treitz3
    If I die from the Cronavirus, I want to come back at the end of the year as AOC so I can be smarts.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I heard AOC is staring in a
    Movie reboot for Clueless
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    treitz3 wrote: »
    If I die from the Cronavirus, I want to come back at the end of the year as AOC so I can be smarts.

Tom
    Uhm... that would like, require a 50 percent evolvement of your DNA to get that smart. Besides, with your looks, you would likely only get to come back as Rosie O’Donnell. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    I want be smarts like whale too.

Tom
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Tom,, please disinfect the Dodd before you ship it to me
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)