Infinity RSII....??? Any one had ears on them?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    It may take 100's of hours to settle in
    FWIW
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Check the resistance on the pots if you eliminate them and replace with a resistor to compensate. I did this on my infinity's but only after finding what setting I liked first.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Pitdogg, yes I'm aware it will take a awhile. There is a clear difference from zero hours to 26 hours of playtime. I hope they continue to get better. Do electrolytics take as long as film caps? I dont know much about electrolytics.

Audioluvr, I was going to set the pots to the half way point and measure thier resistance and go from there.

Thanks guys!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I'm glad your effort to restore those is progressing VERY WELL so far. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Way to go, the Infinity's from that era are really nice speakers. Good deep full bass and the EMIT tweeters are sweet. I'm toying with the notion of doing this to my Kappa 8's.
  • CH46E wrote: »
    Pitdogg, yes I'm aware it will take a awhile. There is a clear difference from zero hours to 26 hours of playtime. I hope they continue to get better. Do electrolytics take as long as film caps? I dont know much about electrolytics.

Audioluvr, I was going to set the pots to the half way point and measure thier resistance and go from there.

Thanks guys!

At least in my experience, until I hit that couple hundred hours the performance would vary. Some days nice and smooth, other days shrill and lifeless. Hope at the end of this journey they sound as good as you hope, sounds like they are on their way. =D
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Awesome update, glad they are sounding so good!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Nice. I'm not up-to-speed on all the various caps out there, but figured if it looks like you can pull the pin and toss it, then it's quality.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • CH46E
    The Mundord 150uf cap is 50 x 90 mm. I may just have to add a small elevated shelf to the crossover board and run longer leads.
  • CH46E
    With me having to build an elevated shelf onto the oem crossover board I'm wondering what I should be using to extend the capacitor leads? For one side of the Jantez cap for the tweeter I just used some speaker wire I salvaged from a pair of Paradigm speakers awhile back.

Is that ok or should I pick up some solid core wire?

Thanks.
  • audioluvr
    Just use good speaker wire.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    Thanks will do.
  • pitdogg2
    Depending on how much longer they need to be I've always used the clipped the clipped off other caps. If you are going longer I always keep 16 or 18 gauge teflon coated silver coated copper wire around for just that reason. I buy all mine from a guy on ebay called navyships. He has military grade wire for a good price and is a great seller.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/navships/m.html?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:MESOI&amp;_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654
  • CH46E
    His prices are really good too. Going to have to get some of that.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Depending on how much longer they need to be I've always used the excess clipped ends I clipped off other caps after they were soldered in place. If you are going longer I always keep 16 or 18 gauge teflon coated silver coated copper wire around for just that reason. I buy all mine from a guy on ebay called navyships. He has military grade wire for a good price and is a great seller.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/navships/m.html?ssPageName=STRK:MEFSXS:MESOI&amp;_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

Fixed
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Well, it's been 12 days......are you done with the upgrades yet?

Here is your next speaker purchase!

http://www.bluemoonhouse-sophos.com/infinity-irs-beta/?fbclid=IwAR28CatqYA7jLrTH8aocybfz024hwT48ZzjKSr9EbWHtyXZ6LXE2XqLDDOM

qpjhiswdfxmc.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CH46E
    edited March 2020
    Unfortunately no. Parts Conexxion has been out of stock for the rest of the Jantzen Superior Z caps and Silver Z caps. I was going to go with Clarity caps for the mid section but decided to wait and get the Jantzens.

I'd love a set of Betas! Such a great looking speaker set too.
  • CH46E
    edited March 2020
    I found that Parts Express had the 6.8uf Superior Z-Caps in stock. Thier price was a little high but I got them anyways. Parts Conexxion has been out for sometime.

I also picked up some copper hookup wire in 16awg and a large hole perforated crossover board to make a elevated platform for the new larger caps.

• Tony M
    Sounds like you're back on track then. :)

Fantastic! B)
  • CH46E
    Yes, but four 12uf Jantzen Superior caps and two150uf film caps I still need are going to kill me in cost.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited March 2020
    Chris...The thing in this hobby no one needs to forget is that it ain't cheap. Never forget that.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Tony M
    I feel for you Chris.
    :/

Maybe spread out the hurt by buying them over a few months time. :)

• CH46E
    Tony M wrote: »
    I feel for you Chris.
    :/

Maybe spread out the hurt by buying them over a few months time. :)

It's not that bad. Since no one I can find has the 12uf caps in stock, I kind of have to spread it all out.
  • Tony M
    OK. :)

Looking forward to your pictures. :p
  • audioluvr
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Chris...The thing in this hobby no one needs to forget is that it ain't cheap. Never forget that.

Tom

Don't beat yourself up over cap upgrades. Just because some of us are, well, anal, doesn't mean you won't find pleasing improvements in lesser caps. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• CH46E
    Thanks guys.

New caps should be here tomorrow. As well as the crossover boards so I can start on a elevated board to fit the new caps.
  • audioluvr
    Sweet! Don't forget to post some pics!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• CH46E
    edited March 2020
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Sweet! Don't forget to post some pics!

Will do. The hookup solid core 16 awg wite was on back order. I should have it next week.
  • CH46E
    edited March 2020
    My plan is to rig up the platforms tomorrow and try to get the caps in. I think I'll also try to move the 12uf caps to the new pcb board also.

These are the 6.8 uf caps and the boards are 5x7.

ntg3uzatt740.jpg
    mxcg4f60zcfo.jpg
  • CH46E
    I got a few more parts in today. (14) Jantzen 22uf Standard Z-Caps. They are smaller than I expected. They will be stacked 7 in each speaker to fill the 150uf spot in the mids. After speaking with a well respected crossover guy (around here also) I'll be putting a 1uf cap on each stack. Possible Jantzen Alumen or Miflex copper or Jupiter copper.

The Path Audio resistors are much heavier than I thought a resistor could be

The tweeter section already has the 12uf red Superior Z-Caps in them. Looks like all I need now is to figure out what I'm going to do with the pots as far as deletion or r&r with a resistor.

Also need one more set of caps to fill one more 12.5 uf spot. Im going to be getting 8 pairs of binding posts and new HQ wire to hook everything up. Then that's it.

Then it will be time to see if I can actually put it all together in an outboard crossover.