LSiM 703 resistance

Options
Ok, so you enablers have piqued my interest in the LSiM 703. I have read numerous times that these speakers are actually more of a 4ohm load vs the 8ohm that’s listed.

Now, my Yamaha A-S701 is 4ohm stable, and the power goes up considerably when under that load.

My question is, do they present that load throughout most of their frequency range, or only a small percentage of the time? Basically, I only want to get them if my amp is driving them near their 200w recommended power.

I don’t want to spend the money on a fantastic speaker, and not have it reach its potential.

Thanks

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Basically, I only want to get them if my amp is driving them near their 200w recommended power.

Huh?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• LloydBraun
    LloydBraun Posts: 36
    edited February 2020
    Options
    According to Polk, their recommended power is 20-200 watts. I don’t want to spend that much on a purchase if my amplifier is not capable of maximizing their full potential.

Maybe I should explain further. My Monitor 70’s will turn into a distortion riddled mess before reaching the halfway point on the volume knob. I assume this is because I’m only supplying them with 100wpc and they can handle up to 275wpc.

I have tried Rti4’s and RtiA3’s on the same amp, and can turn the knob further with zero distortion. Actually, I never got to their distortion point because they were insanely loud.

I don’t want to drop $600 on the LSiM if they’ll be underpowered.

I’m new into all of this, so cut me some slack please.
  • F1nut
    edited February 2020
    Options
    That's a suggested power handling range. It does not mean the 703 performs best driven by 200 wpc. In fact, it's more than likely that they would perform best driven by a high quality 100 wpc amp verses a consumer grade 200 wpc amp.

All watts are not created equally.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• LloydBraun
    Options
    I know that an A-S701 wouldn’t be considered high quality, but what’s your take on the pairing?
  • F1nut
    Options
    While I'm familiar with the 703 I'm not with your integrated.

President of Club Polk

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I think that you'll be fine with the Yamaha @LloydBraun. I say this because I am currently listening to my LSiM703 speakers being powered by a NAD C 316BEE integrated amp that is "only" rated at 40 watts per channel into 4-ohms. Since it's Mardi Gras and the celebration is right across the street from our building, I can listen louder than I usually do. Today, we listened to "Pictures at an Exhibition" with a 74 dB average and peaks of 87 dB. No issues with the integrated amp at all. I've also tried the Denon PMA-600NE and its power numbers are overrated but it never broke a sweat driving anything I had here.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Inspector 24
    Options
    Looks like business inside. I bet it will drive them just fine. FWIW my 20yo RX-V3000 rates similarly per channel drives LSi15’s quite nicely. Full potential? No, of course not. More than enough to enjoy them. Absolutely.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• rburgess714
    Options
    FWIW I have the A-S501 with 703s in a smaller room and really enjoy the combo. Your 701 will will do fine.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    OP is overthinking this, just get the 703's and don't look back.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable