Yes another speaker cable thread

I am on the fence on what is my next speaker cable to try in the Livingroom. On the den rig before I went to the Kef LS50W, I have used MIT, Audioquest Type 4 & cv8 72v, dh lab q10, Acoustic Zen Double barrel, and @lightman1 coat hangers.

Right now in the Livingroom rig I am using my old AQ cv8. I kind of use them as a standard. Other cables are better or worse then sort of thing. While they do sound good, 1, the banana's on them $uck. 2, They are way too long for what I need in the living room since they were originally bought for the basement rig ( I miss my basement dearly) then used in the den. I am using wireword jumpers I got off Dave last year.

Livingroom rig consists of T+A integrated, PS audio Direct Stream JR, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2. This is my "rock out" system.

Here is what I am thinking. 1 send the 10 foot cv8's to AQ, have them shorten them and put better connectors on them, take the leftover footage and make jumpers out of them.
2. Try out some wireworld Silver speaker cables.
3. Try a set of Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval 8
4. Acoustic Zen Hologram ii
5. Acoustic Zen absolute
6. Wait for AXPONA and see what they have

I would like to keep it around 1k for price. Option 6 to wait for AXPONA might happen either way since they had some solid sales in the hall last year but, I am getting my research on to look for what's next or suggestions on what to look out for.
Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Could you borrow/demo cables daily since you live in Chicago during Axpona or will you have a room at the hotel?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I can highly recommend the AQ Castlerocks, of which you should be able to get a used pair for under $1k
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Could you borrow/demo cables daily since you live in Chicago during Axpona or will you have a room at the hotel?

Now that is an idea I never thought of.

@joecoulson How much of an upgrade do you think they are from the cv8 72V
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • I only had CV6 W/36V and AQ King Cobras but purchased some Audio Art cables which gave more body and weight in my system. I have since upgraded further in their cable line and thought it was a worthwhile upgrade.

I had Tyler Signature Monitors like you and these worked well for me.

I still have the SC-5 speaker cables which are 8' and I have two pairs of their IC3-SE ICs 3"

Let me know if any interest and good luck.

Rich
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • erniejade
    Rich i have never heard them before. Doing a google search, the sc-5 plus cryo double barrel look very nice! I need to get my read on.
  • And Rob the owner is great to communicate with. Just email him with any questions. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited February 2020
    Brian, I have not had the CV’s, but you have the Type 4’s which I had two sets ago.
    Went from those to the Acoustic Zen Satori’s, then the Castle Rock’s. Each with a solid increase from the next. I would imagine they would be a jump up.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I would LOVE to have the WW Silver Eclipse cables. If @DSkip use them they gotta be good.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    what length do you need? what is your budget?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • erniejade
    Marv, i actually need only 4 feet but looking at resale later in, it seems like 6 feet is an easier sale. I would like to keep it under 1k . The market is huge for this price range especially on the used market.
  • marvda1
    the ones I was going to recommend are about three times as much with the distributor being in Chicago.

Grover Huffman makes some great cables.
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9hcae-grover-huffman-empress-speaker-cables-8ft-pair-speaker
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    I have owned the Castle Rock and WW Silver Eclipse 7 cables. My experience was the Silver Eclipse were an upgrade from the Castle Rock. More detail and better sound stage. Just replaced my Silver Eclipse with Gold Eclipse cables. They are new so they need to break in before I can really see if I observe an improvement. Although I recently upgraded my amp too so I am also getting acquainted with that as well. Too bad Ernie is not local, I would let him try the Silver Eclipse out.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Anyone experimented with Ribbon cables, like the Alpha Core Goertz design? I have no comparison with the high end cables you guys are talking about but the ribbon cables (of my own similar construction) made a huge improvement in my humble system, especially in transparency and clarity of highs and vocals.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    I have owned the Castle Rock and WW Silver Eclipse 7 cables. My experience was the Silver Eclipse were an upgrade from the Castle Rock. More detail and better sound stage. Just replaced my Silver Eclipse with Gold Eclipse cables. They are new so they need to break in before I can really see if I observe an improvement. Although I recently upgraded my amp too so I am also getting acquainted with that as well. Too bad Ernie is not local, I would let him try the Silver Eclipse out.

How about if he paid for shipping both ways ? Trying out cables before you lay that kinda cash down is ideal.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    No Kimber on your list?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • erniejade
    marvda1 wrote: »
    the ones I was going to recommend are about three times as much with the distributor being in Chicago.

Grover Huffman makes some great cables.
    https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9hcae-grover-huffman-empress-speaker-cables-8ft-pair-speaker

Please still tell me what the three times as much cables are. Maybe I can find some on the used market.

I have looked at Grover Huffman's stuff but, I have never heard his stuff. the Grover Huffman Empress Speaker Cables new on his site are $115 a foot for bi so that comes in way under my 1k budget.

@sgmsmg I saw a set of WW Silver Eclipse used for $1300 so it is not too much of a stretch to go for that. The way you describe them is exactly how I felt when I went from regular eclipse RCA to the Silver eclipse RCA in my den rig.

@Gardenstater I have not heard Alpha Core Goertz but, I have heard Nordost speaker cables. The Nordost I liked were out of my price range. The Alpha kind of seem to have some of the same look about them.

Has anyone heard Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval 8? There is a set for $900 right now.
  • erniejade
    edited February 2020
    tonyb wrote: »

How about if he paid for shipping both ways ? Trying out cables before you lay that kinda cash down is ideal.

Agree. If you are looking to sell eventually @sgmsmg , let me know please.
  • erniejade
    steveinaz wrote: »
    No Kimber on your list?

I have only heard some of the lower end Kimber in the past. For me they were a bit on the thin side. I will say though its been at least 10 years since I have heard a set so a lot can change in that time.

• sgmsmg
    erniejade wrote: »

@tonyb That was my initial thought to offer loaning them out but I feel shipping costs both ways might be a hit to his purchase budget. Especially because the ones I have are longer than Ernie is looking for.

@erniejade Right now I am still deciding if I want to sell them yet. I was thinking of trying them in my HT setup but then I have to invest in jumpers. It appears you are looking for 2 meter cables. The ones I have are 3 meters.

If you want to test them out for a couple of weeks PM me and maybe we can work something out. My zip code is 97003 if you wanted to get an idea of shipping costs.
    2 Channel
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI

Home Theater
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
  • marvda1
    the cables I have are the organic 2 speaker cables. http://www.musicalartisans.com/

I am getting ready to trade mine in for a pair of organic reference cables.
    maybe if you get in contact with him you might get a deal for my trade-ins.
    I would not be able to make you a deal as I am getting full retail value for my trade-in.

I have a pair of analysis plus black mesh oval 9's along with the interconnect and they sound great.
    Puritan PSM156
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    erniejade wrote: »

@tonyb That was my initial thought to offer loaning them out but I feel shipping costs both ways might be a hit to his purchase budget. Especially because the ones I have are longer than Ernie is looking for.

@erniejade Right now I am still deciding if I want to sell them yet. I was thinking of trying them in my HT setup but then I have to invest in jumpers. It appears you are looking for 2 meter cables. The ones I have are 3 meters.

If you want to test them out for a couple of weeks PM me and maybe we can work something out. My zip code is 97003 if you wanted to get an idea of shipping costs.

What? You are in Beaverton? I'm 30 minutes from there right now! I'm working at PDX
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • sgmsmg
    audioluvr wrote: »

What? You are in Beaverton? I'm 30 minutes from there right now! I'm working at PDX

Yes, I figured you lived somewhere in the PNW. Always see the stuff you are selling/buying on Craigslist :)
    2 Channel

Home Theater
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Anyone experimented with Ribbon cables, like the Alpha Core Goertz design? I have no comparison with the high end cables you guys are talking about but the ribbon cables (of my own similar construction) made a huge improvement in my humble system, especially in transparency and clarity of highs and vocals.

I have not heard the Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 and Castle Rock cables, but can say MIT Shotgun S1's are better than Alpha Core Goertz MI2 Python cables, without a doubt. I have and do own both.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • @headrott Those Python Cables were discontinued for some reason and I don't think they were as good as the Ribbon Cables, but I've never had the chance to try them. They weren't mentioned in the original Goertz patent.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • tonyb
    marvda1 wrote: »
    the cables I have are the organic 2 speaker cables. http://www.musicalartisans.com/

I am getting ready to trade mine in for a pair of organic reference cables.
    maybe if you get in contact with him you might get a deal for my trade-ins.
    I would not be able to make you a deal as I am getting full retail value for my trade-in.

I have a pair of analysis plus black mesh oval 9's along with the interconnect and they sound great.

You looking to sell those black mesh 9's ? Great all around cable, one of my favs too. PM me if your looking to sell them. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    @Gardenstater You may be correct about the Python cables not being as "good" as the flat ribbon cables. Both the Python MI2 and Goertz flat cables are ribbon cables. The Pythons were surrounded in polymer in a twisted fashion that helped to reduce RFI and EMI. I have not heard the flat Python cables to compare to the MI2's, however. I do have the smaller flat ribbon cables in my home theatre system rear speakers (3.1TL's) and they work well. I use the Python MI2's in the front speakers (2.3TL's) and previously used them as my main stereo cables. I upgraded to the Shotgun S3's and then the Shotgun S1's and the S1's outdid all the other cables I have used in my main stereo rig.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    That company MIT certainly has a dizzying array of their own marketing technological buzzwords that they use and I see they have lots of whitepapers on their website. What would you say are the key construction features in the Shotgun S1's that give them superior performance? I know very little about their cables.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • tonyb
    You'll drive yourself nuts trying to determine what makes one cable better than another. Much of this is trial and error, with good system matching, aka.....synergy, that pleases ones ears.

You don't open up pre amps to determine what makes one sound better than another, do you ? You can read the hype, follow the reviews both professional and personal, but in the end your just making an educated guess.

I find myself, that in order to narrow down choices in cables or gear, that it's much easier to follow ears I trust. What I mean by that is, others with similar tastes in music, similar ages, comparable rooms, similar price points, etc. When your choosing stuff to buy that you haven't heard yourself, you want to take advice from those who have, from those whom ears you trust. You'll find 9 out of 10 times, you won't be disappointed in your purchases.

….and that makes this hobby fun, and why we are all here on the forum to begin with. To share our experiences/knowledge with various pieces/systems. Trying to decipher down to the nuts and bolts of why something sounds better than another can take up a full time job researching and you still won't find a definitive answer. Audio is subjective, so are those answers. Find the sound you like, and mirror it in your own home, kick back and enjoy the tunes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    You can also try The Cable Company lending library. May want to check it out.
  • erniejade
    I stretched my budget a bit. Skip set me up with some Wireworld Eclipse silver cables and jumpers. They are not fully burned in yet but, I am liking what I hear so far. So far the synergy is working out nicely. The wife also said the vocals are more pronounced and the bass is tighter. I think I have a keeper for now. Very impressed with them.