Zu Audio Dirty Weekend

muncybob
muncybob Posts: 2,962
I would love to give these a run, but I wonder if my Parasound HCA1500 would be a good fit for such efficient speakers? From what I've read they are more suited for lower wattage amps?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Well... the Zus are, at the least, a bit of an acquired taste.

My experience with high(er) power amplifiers is that they tend not to be at their best at very low output power levels. I am not 100% sure you'll get the best sense of what the Zus are like with an amplifier like that -- but it totally, absolutely, 100% depends on the amp.

Do you have any other choices? Maybe a nice, low power (desktop-style) class D amp? A good SET amp -- or a very good PP vacuum tube amplifier (6BQ5, 6AQ5 or 6V6, e.g.) would be good, too, I reckon. Low power class A solid state might be nice -- know anybody with an "Amp Camp Amp"? :)

• mhardy6647
    someone else needs to weigh in on this! :#

• Try shooting ZU a message. I have heard they're good people to deal with.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • mhardy6647
    Come to think of it, the Zus probably get more 'airtime' (so to speak) on some of the other forums. Maybe try AA or AK (or just do a search)?
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    Try shooting ZU a message. I have heard they're good people to deal with.

Good point. They do have a pretty good reputation.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    someone else needs to weigh in on this! :#

ZU speakers with a Pass XA25 is what you need.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Never a Zu speaker, but have been tempted by the Dirty Weekend on sale. Please expand, good Doctor, as to why they are an acquired taste. @Clipdat I have heard great things about the XA25.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    The dirty weekends are a great promo that Zu runs to help get their speakers out into the world. I've only heard Zus once, and they were powered by low power Bottlehead amps.

The good thing about the dirty weekend promos are they tend to be pretty easy to flip an a minimal loss, and they can be traded in for full value within a year if you want to go further up the line (I think that's the case).

But Zu certainly has a unique sound, and I've always heard they perform best on lower powered gear.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    I heard the DW's a few months ago at a fellow Polkies house. Driven by Coincident 300b monos. Nice listening room. Very, very nice sound. Not a lot of bass slam, but clean bass. Mids and highs are excellent. They are the type of speaker that does acoustic, jazz, vocals very well. If you listen to a lot of rock, punk and the such, these are probably not for you. Being a crossoverless design, they are much different than speakers that use a crossover. Very crisp and revealing. That may be what Doc Hardy is referring to. And poor/bad recordings sound terrible. I am seriously considering a pair of Zu speakers. Not sure about high powered ss amps with them. In my case I am using a pair of 300b monoblocks, so not an issue on my end. Currently using a pair of DIY full range crossoverless speakers and as everything has broken in, I am really liking the sound.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    The Zu HQ is just up the road from where I live. Maybe I’ll go hit them up for a demo and come back with some impressions. They’ve always been interesting to me and because they’re close to home, maybe it’s time to make a pilgrimage!
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • displayname
    JayMX wrote: »
    The Zu HQ is just up the road from where I live. Maybe I’ll go hit them up for a demo and come back with some impressions. They’ve always been interesting to me and because they’re close to home, maybe it’s time to make a pilgrimage!
    Please do! Even if you find the speakers aren't for you, I'm sure everyone here would love to hear about the experience and see some pics.
    Discogs
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2020
    Faustin wrote: »
    I heard the DW's a few months ago at a fellow Polkies house. Driven by Coincident 300b monos. Nice listening room. Very, very nice sound. Not a lot of bass slam, but clean bass. Mids and highs are excellent. They are the type of speaker that does acoustic, jazz, vocals very well. If you listen to a lot of rock, punk and the such, these are probably not for you. Being a crossoverless design, they are much different than speakers that use a crossover. Very crisp and revealing. That may be what Doc Hardy is referring to. And poor/bad recordings sound terrible. I am seriously considering a pair of Zu speakers. Not sure about high powered ss amps with them. In my case I am using a pair of 300b monoblocks, so not an issue on my end. Currently using a pair of DIY full range crossoverless speakers and as everything has broken in, I am really liking the sound.

2n2lq89ujavi.png

I would call that sound aggressive.
    Mind you... up to a point, I like aggressive, as -- truth be told -- most real, live music doesn't sound polite, even if it is polite music. :) For better or for worse, they're decidedly not flat. Now, mind you, that's not meant to be judgemental -- but if one's used to loudspeakers that measure very flat, or BBC-monitor-style politeness, they're gonna sound very different!

The description above from @Faustin also pretty much sums up my decade with a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls (FWIW). Not to say the Zus are Cornwall-equivalents, but if you've heard "Heritage" Klipsch, you know they're different, and that difference is fairly (no pun intended) polarizing.

The Zus I've encountered aren't crossoverless, though. At least, I hope not! :# (given that they have tweeters). Minimalist crossovers, I wouldn't wonder -- but the poor tweeters won't last long without some sort of high-pass filter feeding them.

Nothin' wrong with minimalist XOs a priori, of course :)

37629795824_99cf84f9f0_h.jpgDSC_9782 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(and nothin' wrong with loudspeakers employing extended-range drivers, either, a priori)

Just a buncha my opinions -- albeit opinions based on years of listening to dozens of relevant components (I would... opine).

EDIT: Oh, by the way -- there's another, sort of "hidden" XO in these -- note that the "fullrange" driver is a twincone, sporting a parasitic or so-called whizzer cone to help improve HF extension and dispersion. Electrovoice always referred to an "acoustic crossover" at ca. 3500 Hz in their twincone drivers, and I think that's a fair and illuminating statement. Now, let me be perfectly clear (as a one-time US president used to say ;) ), I am not anti-whizzer... but whizzers do treble differently than some other 'solutions', and not everybody likes them.

All in all -- of COURSE :) the best thing to do is to give a listen, ideally with an open mind. :)
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2020
    JayMX wrote: »

Definitely -- see if you can bring your own amplifier!

Once nice thing about the Dirty Weekends when available -- for what they are, they're cheap! :)

EDIT: A little googlage didn't turn up any quantitative data on the Omens, but here's some data from JA on the (???) broadly similar Zu Essence from 2009.
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/zu-essence-loudspeaker-measurements

The nice thing about Stereophile's (JA's) data, they test stuff the same way, so one can look at the graphics and do an apples-to-apples comparison of other components they've tested (sort of like the Rosetta Stone, you know?). Find a review of a speaker you know and like, look at their test data, then compare the 'unknown'. Generally, I think one can make some educated guesses about the 'unknown'. B)

YMMV, though, of course.

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Oooo...apparently I was watching Dr Pimple Popper when I took that photo. I should try watching that show at reference levels. Could be terrible! :D
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    Dr. Pimple Popper... there is no hope for you, is there? ;)

I forgots yez had Zus...
    ya know, there's this Amp Camp Amp... just a-sittin' up here... :#
  • mrbiron
    I know! Move back to Mass and we will make the swap. :p
  • mrbiron
    https://www.zuaudio.com/deals

Hickory DW’s for $899...
  • JayMX
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Definitely -- see if you can bring your own amplifier!

Not to derail, but maybe I could try these after I get them redone...? 😁
    jo685uyvj9mh.jpeg
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited February 2020
    #MeToo

I have been very intrigued by the Zu's for several years. I own a 12watt Unison Simply Italy, the same unit that what used to demo the debut of the LSiM 705's in 2012, by Russman. This integrated has been awaiting to be put back into a system ever since. I think it would be a grand match up for the Zu's.

Also is a link/discussion about Zu's

http://www.unisonresearch.com/en/products/valves/integrated-amplifiers/simply-italy.html

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/zu-audio-speakers-and-accessories.507782/

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/128877/lsaf-lone-star-audio-fest-2012-may-4-6/p361bdbgfq05nq.jpg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    mrbiron wrote: »
    If only I knew a guy.....

Mine have been predominantly hooked to my Decco, but I have used an Anthem MCA20 and PS Audio Delta100 with good results. Pick up a pair and have fun.

Side note - mine are the MK-1B and not “Dirty”. Same difference... ;)

ftorsjt6s15q.jpeg

I certainly like the looks of the ZU Lineup, something unique and quite appealing about the Drivers and that Cabinet Finish.

• displayname
    mrbiron wrote: »
    If only I knew a guy.....

Mine have been predominantly hooked to my Decco, but I have used an Anthem MCA20 and PS Audio Delta100 with good results. Pick up a pair and have fun.

Side note - mine are the MK-1B and not “Dirty”. Same difference... ;)

ftorsjt6s15q.jpeg

I certainly like the looks of the ZU Lineup, something unique and quite appealing about the Drivers and that Cabinet Finish.

Can't argue with that. I'm particularly drawn to the Soul Supreme in walnut from a visual standpoint.
    6026vuthrkmc.jpg
    If you call them you can pretty much go crazy with customization too. You can get all the silver done in black or gold, possibly other finishes. They sure can look sharp.

I'd still like to give them another shot, but my one time exposure to some Zus with a few upgrades didn't have me running out to jump on the Zu bandwagon.

Discogs
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    While the ZU speakers def intrigue me, from what I've read I don't think they are for me. Still, I would love to hear them in action.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • displayname
    muncybob wrote: »
    While the ZU speakers def intrigue me, from what I've read I don't think they are for me. Still, I would love to hear them in action.
    Certainly worth trying. I think most people pretty quickly develop a strong opinion in one direction or the other. Not a lot of middle ground with them.
    Discogs
  • mrbiron
    I bought mine on a whim about 6 years ago, I think. All based on reading reviews and what is said about them is absolutely correct. It’s a 50/50 of likes to dislikes.

I will say, they will not fill a big room, which unfortunately, is what I Now have after my move. Definitely will need to add a sub or move them to a smaller area. That’s a project for another day.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I've been thinking about a Motorcycle Trip out West to stop by ZU Audio and Spatial Audio for a couple of Demos. So many speakers, so little cash ;)
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Utah is a great place to visit with a motorcycle, fun car, mountain bike, hiking boots, etc.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Spatial OB speakers are another variety I would love to hear. And, Mike Teeter, Tekton is out that way as well. The DW competitor Lore, and their flagship Double Impact. Like you said, so many speakers and not a lot of cash.
  • JayMX
    maxward wrote: »
    Utah is a great place to visit with a motorcycle, fun car, mountain bike, hiking boots, etc.

@maxward Preach! I’ve lived here for 15 years and love it.
    @Mike Reeter If you do pass through and need dining or sightseeing suggestions, holler! You should add a visit to Wilson Audio while you’re here. And if the cards are played right, I can sometimes sneak friends into the Tabernacle Choir's recording studio 😉
    8e38bypjmzjw.jpeg