Asking for recommendations - Wall mounted TT rack

Hey all, I am in the middle of redesigning the stereo room and I'd like a bit more space on my rack. I have been tooling around with the thought of a wall mounted TT rack for the TT.

Anyone out there have any direct experience with any or heard a system that has used one? If so, what are your thoughts? This is the one I am currently considering (link below) but am open to suggestions. One of my main concerns is vibrations. @joecoulson was nice enough to slide me a granite plinth with adjustable spikes and I'd like to incorporate that as well, just so there is more mass on the shelf.

https://www.musicdirect.com/best-analog-accessories/solidsteel-ws-5-heavy-duty-wall-shelf

29mp43lpqg1p.png

What say you?

I will also need to get some RCA's that will run from the new location of the TT to the rack. The length will be approximately 12 feet or so. They will also need to be soldered in at the TT, as the current RCA's are only about 4' in length and came stock with the TT. If anyone has some advice, pointers or what you should NOT do when setting something up like this? Please let me know now, if you would be so kind. Any and all information would be welcome. Thanks all,

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    DYI floating mantel/shelf??
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Just pay russ to hold it
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    When we moved to our current house, I could hardly walk in the living room with a record playing (previous house was on a slab). I soon bought a Target wall mount for the Thorens. That allowed a 225-pound person to jump hard in the same room without upsetting the music. However, whenever someone let the door to the garage slam the record would skip. I was baffled for years since the garage is some distance away. I removed the rack not too long ago to paint behind it and I decided to stack up several washers on the screws into the studs, which kept the rack proud of the drywall except at the screws. This simple change solved the problem with the garage door slamming. Something to consider. Unless you change up your stereo frequently, I recommend a wall mounted rack. Otherwise, you’ll be patching up holes often.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    @maxward - How far away was/is your TT from the rig? I have the same phono pre you have but I was concerned that adding more feet to the RCA's would degrade/diminish SQ. I can use the original RCA's that came with it but that would mean that it would be placed in a spot that is, shall I say, not convenient. I'd rather not do that.

Good thing for me, the garage is on the other end of the house and the wall where it will be hung has a brick exterior, so (in theory), it should be pretty solid. I have only skipped the needle once in the current room and that's because I dropped something heavy right smack dab in the middle of the floor without thinking. DOH! Thanks for the advice with the washers.

Ron, I thought about the DIY thing but I don't think wood would be as solid (if you will) as steel and I'm not about to learn how to weld, even though I have the outlets for a couple of them. That's just not something I'm interested in getting into right now.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    Oh steel, ok
    That has a nice ring to it🤔
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• treitz3
    Eh, I have a steel rack too. I just isolate the gear and have not heard any deficiencies so far. Plus, the damn thing probably weighs in at close to 650 pounds once you get everything placed on it.

The TT wall mounted rack would have a granite plinth sitting on top of it that is spiked and the TT itself has an isolation platform and I will also be using my military isolation pucks under the TT itself. FWIW, using just the military pucks on the existing rack, top shelf, I could jump in my room and the needle wouldn't budge even if the Rythmiks were kickin' full steam during a heavy passage. While I perhaps should be worried about "ringing", I'm really not.....but

...I've never mounted a TT to the wall before and there is a first for everything.

I have to rely on other's experience on this one. as I am entering uncharted territory on this for me.

Tom
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    @treitz3 My turntable rack is below my phono preamp, such that the standard (1.2 m?) cables reach. Link to thread with pic: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/186676/game-of-thorens#latest The preamp is barely out of the picture.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • txcoastal1
    edited February 2020
    treitz3 wrote: »
    ....there is a first for everything.

I have to rely on other's experience on this one. as I am entering uncharted territory on this for me.

Tom

Is that what you told Russ while drinking tequila in the barnyard

• treitz3
    Shut up Ron...ya' freakin' 'tard. LOL

Tom
  • treitz3
    marvda1 wrote: »

Hi, Marvin. I did see that one. It's not as visually appealing (to me) as the Solid Steel rack but that price is considerably better. I saw another one just like that earlier on today for something like $449. Do you know if they make two different Target racks or does MD just have a smokin' hot price?

Tom
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I have done them and I find them to be very nice. Just make sure you properly mount it. It will serve you well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    looks like they only do one.
    The "VW" vertical wall mount shelf is ideally suited for turntables, which benefit most through isolation from the floor. Like the IS shelf, the VW has a 2" x 1" tubular steel frame design that incorporates 4 inverted steel spikes supporting the suspended 0.750" x 18"w x 14"d dense MDF laminated shelf. In addition, the VW is welded and center braced to a wall mount frame with 4 mounting holes (on 16" centers) to mount firmly to any wall.

Older homes, or homes with less solid floors are best applications for the VW. The VW design further eliminates the effect from any mechanical or sound based vibrations and completely isolates the turntable from the floor.
    Higher mounting height allows for easier use of any turntable, without having to bend to see the needle location.

Overall size of the high mass / high rigidity VW stand is: 9"h (at wall) x 20"w x 18.5"d and weighs 21 lbs. The VW comes with 4 screws & covers for mounting into wood studs. Use of toggle bolts optional if non 16" center studs.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I will also need to get some RCA's that will run from the new location of the TT to the rack. The length will be approximately 12 feet or so
    I would not run a 12 foot RCA direct from the TT. The signal coming out of the cartridge is very voltage, and I believe it will degrade if you're running more than 4-5 feet. Especially if you have a low output moving coil cartridge with an even lower signal. I have always kept mine to 3ft/1m coming out of the TT.

However, if you mounted your phonostage right under the TT, then you could easily run a longer length RCA because the phonostage is outputting a higher voltage. It wouldn't require any soldering either.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • ^^^^

At girlfriend's house, her Pro-Ject turntable and phonostage are far away from the other stuff . The turntable is on a granite slab as part of a room divider which required a laminated beam below. It is so convenient to play the LPs from the divider. A glass of wine sits very nicely close to the turntable.

I contacted Blue Jeans Cable and they recommended 45' feet low-capacitance RCA cables to run under the floor from phonostage to integrated amp. I was reluctant but they assured me it would be fine. The important thing they emphasized is the phonostage must be close to the turntable.

It works as it should. I have old ears but it really sounds great. I have played the turntable close to equipment to compare. In the picture below, the phonostage is in cabinet below. Those are Paradigm surround speakers on the room divider. That is Wolfgang on top.

s5i57nxw9ejb.png
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Rega has wall mounts meant for their tables. I think you could engineer something with some effort to make it work with other tables. The mount is relatively inexpensive and can be found for even less than the link below. Not sure about supporting lots of additional weight. I suppose if you do some serious mounting you could add as much weight as would be supported by bolts and wall studs.

https://amazon.com/REGA-Wall-Mount-Turntables-Black/dp/B00AKAX83Q
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Already addressed here, but yeah, first thing that jumped out at me with this was the length of the cable run. I was going to clarify with you, Tom, whether, when you said RCAs, you meant from the TT or from a phono pre. Again, as noted above, the TT to phono pre should be short, as I understand it, but then the phono pre to preamp or integrated can be longer.
    I disabled signatures.