Its here 8K technology who's climbing aboard?

Options
2»

Comments

• GospelTruth
    Options
    I'm sure from a close distance on a big screen with 8k content showing in a showroom that these TVs look fantastic.

Practically speaking though, movies are just starting to be release in 4k digital intermediates - even if filmed at a higher camera rate. This means that even if the film industry is using 6.5k or 8k cameras for filming, the editing is being done in 4k and the final product is a 4k intermediate. We are just getting this as most movies have been done in 2k intermediates (1080p) in the past. A lot of 4k titles are just upsampled 2k intermediates with HDR (better contrast, more colors). As mentioned, the HDR is the biggest part of these re-released films in 4k.

This 8k tech may be good for convention screens, gaming and other areas, but I don't see anyone getting their old films in 8k renderings at this point. All they would be would be 4k upsamples to get to 8k.

I'm sure like everything else, 8k TVs will take over the 4k offerings out there. But content is king, and without the content it will just be upsampled 4k content on an 8k display.

Just my two cents.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Meh. I think the biggest benefit I see with 4K is richer colors and slightly better contrast ratio. Sure, there is some minor sharpening of the picture, but it's extremely subtle IMO.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Going shoppin for a new TV this week. Hopefully the SB will have some SB TV deals. Last time I was in Best Buy the guy told me the best time is SB week much better than black Friday and X-mas time. We'll see, rolling the dice on a Sony XBR950 75" if possible. Fall back will be a Vizio TOTL drawback is the Vizio have horrible remotes even just to use to adjust the darn TV.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I have a 75” Sony Z9D, and a 65” Sony XBR950. Both are excellent TVs, and have had zero problems.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    I won't do 8k until 16k or 32k come out and I have nothing else to spend my money on.
  • recoveryone
    Options
    I only have one 4k TV in the house and using my AVR to upconvert content from the Amazon TV to 4k. For me its about content first, until broadcasting catches up with displays I see no need to upgrade for a few years unless my current 4k TV dies a untimely death and even then I will properly buy another 4k seeing how the prices are dropping like rocks in the water.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I only have one 4k TV in the house and using my AVR to upconvert content from the Amazon TV to 4k. For me its about content first, until broadcasting catches up with displays I see no need to upgrade for a few years unless my current 4k TV dies a untimely death and even then I will properly buy another 4k seeing how the prices are dropping like rocks in the water.

My fear is they'll push them out in favor of the more profitable 8k stuff for awhile.
    Seen it before at the beginning of 4k
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    If/when 8k prices start falling into current 4k offerings, I would consider one, but ONLY if I was buying a new TV anyway, not just because I'm keeping up with the Joneses. I figure by the time I'm ready for a new TV, 8k will be at or lower than 4k is now. But it seems we're still waiting for the resolution of broadcasts to catch up to the capability of the displays.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2020
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    If/when 8k prices start falling into current 4k offerings, I would consider one, but ONLY if I was buying a new TV anyway, not just because I'm keeping up with the Joneses. I figure by the time I'm ready for a new TV, 8k will be at or lower than 4k is now. But it seems we're still waiting for the resolution of broadcasts to catch up to the capability of the displays.

Yes we are still waiting to catch up @polrbehr. I went to dish and asked about 4K for myself to see if they had caught for my Hopper since I bought my mother a Vizio 4K TV. I was told only 4k is like pay per view stuff ATM and still very little there. Very strange that there is not more 4k broadcasting yet.

Recently there was a big push to re-scan you OTA TV channels as they all moved, I wonder what that was all about. Was it because they are now going to finally transmit 4k OTA or just because the guberment wanted that slice of spectrum back for something else.

Anyone else find it strange that they are mandated to be free over the air OTA but yet they GOUGE folks like Dish and other to rebroadcast them? I do! They can make enough to broadcast them free OTA but can't afford to not gouge Dish, Comcast and others. I do like it when Charlie Ergen droppes their channels and tells them to go pound sand, sure it is an inconvenience but I applaud that he does it, besides I just go to antenna I'm not out a thing. Last year Charlie gave away free antenna for us to still get the channels GO CHARLIE!!!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    4K was nearly ready for launch when the mandated 1080 switch was forced on broadcasters, so they bought the cheapest stuff they could get. It will be years before they all catch up to 4k, and may even skip it completly and got to 8k instead.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    So we now have 4k and 8k.
    When will Comcast finally drop non-hd channels????
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • lmacmil
    lmacmil Posts: 119
    Options
    For a 65" TV you have to be no more than about 8.5' away to distinguish 4k from 1080p. I have not seen charts for 8k but clearly you'd have to be less than 8' to see a difference. I'm about 11' from my 55" TV (which is 4k capable) so I can't even take advantage of 4k. No way I'd upgrade to 8k.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have a 75” Sony Z9D, and a 65” Sony XBR950. Both are excellent TVs, and have had zero problems.
    I also have a Z9D and the only move I would make right now is a Sony 77 inch A9G OLED.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I am waiting for 4D Smellovision.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,107
    Options
    I still cannot believe how good 4k is. Content is still limited, but we have watched some Amazon titles and football soccer from the UK, and been impressed.

On a tangential subject, after considering cutting the cable cord, we recently ditched Verizon for Comcast (or Xfinity or whatever they want to call themselves now) and have been impressed with their 4k X1 box. For Verizon, I had the cable box set to resolution passthrough, as my Vizio TV did a much better job of upscaling (with the downside of slower channel changes), but the Comcast box seems to to a better job of upscaling to 4k and passing through native 4k content.