Harbeth Monitor 30.1 in home demo (vs. Tyler Signature Monitors)

Options
phipiper10
phipiper10 Posts: 955
edited January 2020 in Speakers
I initially posted in the what did you do to your rig today thread when I brought home Harbeth Monitor 30.1s for in home demo. Figured it more appropriate to post a few thoughts under speakers.

Tyler's are more forward in presentation, think first 5 rows at a concert, they capture tons of detail and push those details out into the room but with seemingly no effort. I would consider them neutral and clear. Some might call them bright based on system components. They are cohesive top to bottom with just a hint of extra punch in the mid bass thanks to the two 6" drivers. NOT bloated but very effective. Don't worry, If the music isn't calling for it you won't hear it. You really don't need a sub with these for most music. Being balanced and having seas tweeter and the punchy bass they can do rock, jazz, acoustic music and vocals very well and everything in between. They are open, and slightly airy with no tinny/brightness. I dont really listen to orchestral pieces but dont doubt their ability to handle that as well.

Harbeths are a bit more polite, think row 20-25. Feels like there is less information overall but what is there is very involving and still detailed. As is well known that midrange does indeed suck you in and what you do hear is more beautifully resolving on voices and nuanced solo acoustic performances on all sorts of instruments. With the single smaller driver cohesiveness can be lost and music can sound unnatural when presented with rock and heavier pieces or pieces with more bass at volume. I described it as discombobulated to my wife. This is where the Tylers parse through tougher material more easily but they also lack that inner resolution and refinement. While the Harbeths are not as consistently cohesive with all types of music they are more magical in the mid range for some music. One wasn't better than another in imaging or soundstage.

My problem is, with the Harbeths 80-90% of what I would listen to would be excellent but some rock and rap wouldn't sound right. With the Tyler's 100% of the music is cohesive and would all sound great but I'm missing that last 10% of musical beauty across most music.

On Sunday I flipped back and forth between speakers a couple times but since then all Harbeths every night. Tomorrow or Friday back to Tylers. My demo ends Saturday and I have no idea if I will keep the Harbeths or not. If I could flip a switch to select speakers depending on material that would be ideal.

Open to anyone that knows of the perfect speaker under $5K. ;) I keep paging through my old Absolute Sounds and Stereophiles recommended lists and back to Audiogon to see what's available. If I dont go with the Harbeths it's likely the preamp gets upgraded instead.

Rich
Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Egglestonworks Nico Evo.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Very nice and thoughtful comments Rich. What was also interesting to me is your desire to flip a switch. I have thought about that too!

Speaker selector switch? They are out there, but not a lot of mention here on CP. Not sure why.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    edited January 2020
    Options
    take a look at the new Rosso Fiorentino Elbas, I am writing a review on them now.
    not the newest model but you can get an idea.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f49OEFO-zLQ
    Post edited by marvda1 on
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Polk Legend L600
    g107L600WN-F.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    Options
    Since you tried the Harbeth have you considered any of the Tannoy legacy series?
  • phipiper10
    Options
    No, but I'm certainly not ruling anything out. I'll be checking into all the recommendations and back to local dealers to see what else I can get my ears on. Thanks!
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,036
    Options
    That Harbeth is a beautiful speaker when put on the correct stand. That's all I got!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Pics of the Nico Evo. They present a large, wide sound stage (think SDA) with bass you feel. Easily outperforming a boat load of towers.

8da3kattvvht.jpeg

This is the exact set up I heard.
    mnzy8skmgsts.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• phipiper10
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. As for the Harbeths they are back in their boxes ready to be returned to my local dealer. I kept thinking when I plugged the Tyler's back in I was going to realize all their weaknesses in comparison but It wasn't the case at all. The Harbeths, at least the Monitor 30.1s, just weren't for me. The Tyler's aren't perfect but they give me more of what I want in a speaker. This has really been incredibly disappointing only because Harbeths were my reach speaker. I was convinced I would buy these. In the end there were just too many compromises, at least in my system and my room and to my ears.

Only question in the manic pursuit of improving is where to turn my attention next. Streamer/DAC or Pre/phono pre. I'm stepping back from speakers for now.....
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    phipiper10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations. As for the Harbeths they are back in their boxes ready to be returned to my local dealer. I kept thinking when I plugged the Tyler's back in I was going to realize all their weaknesses in comparison but It wasn't the case at all. The Harbeths, at least the Monitor 30.1s, just weren't for me. The Tyler's aren't perfect but they give me more of what I want in a speaker. This has really been incredibly disappointing only because Harbeths were my reach speaker. I was convinced I would buy these. In the end there were just too many compromises, at least in my system and my room and to my ears.

Only question in the manic pursuit of improving is where to turn my attention next. Streamer/DAC or Pre/phono pre. I'm stepping back from speakers for now.....

That's why this is such an interesting hobby! What we think will make a big difference, sometimes doesn't & what we don't think will have much impact on the setup, or us, sometimes does. I recently ran into this with a pair of speakers. I didn't think there was going to be that much of a difference but there was and now I'm on the hunt for a new set of speakers. I was perfectly happy before I swapped out the speakers. lol.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • phipiper10
    Options
    I was able to audition more speakers at a local dealer and while the SHL5 plus were better than a couple of Dynaudios, not sure I'm ready for another audition. It was too traumatizing! 😉

Soo...I'm currently far down the DAC/streamer rabbit hole. As I dont have one today I can't lose by comparison!
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    Options
    I had the Tyler Linbrook Signature monitors and currently have the Harbeth HL5+. I can understand if you listen to primarily rock/pop that you might prefer the Tyler's. The Tyler's had a very tight bass slam that did well with rock and pop music. They were also a pretty forgiving speaker as far as source recording quality. The Harbeth's are a bit bass shy in my room, but I felt were better balanced top to bottom with a mid-range realism that the Tyler's couldn't match. I think the Harbeth's are excellent for jazz which is my main focus currently. That being said I wish I would have kept the Tyler's to swap back in for my rock music listening sessions. Good luck in your speaker search!
  • phipiper10
    Options
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    That being said I wish I would have kept the Tyler's to swap back in for my rock music listening sessions. Good luck in your speaker search!

Ha, yeah having both would be good. I think that SHL5+ is the baseline from which to work from going forward. What is the size of your room? I'm about 14' x 18'
  • Polkitup2
    Polkitup2 Posts: 1,619
    edited January 2020
    Options
    My room's about 16x19 odd shaped with openings on both sides. I sit about 8 feet back from the speakers. The HL5+ had much better bass when I tried them in a smaller rectangular room of 12x15.