Emm Labs TSDx can’t read discs - what a way to end the year

2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited January 2020
    Ok, I found a good pic of the transport. Removing the silver disc will not access the pickup. You have to remove the entire top cover. There are 2 screws on each side, see crudely circled areas.

x8m4b8gaoubx.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Yeah or, you know, the manufacturer could stand behind their $17k transport and fix it themselves.

The real question is why spend $17K on a CD transport.

I'm sorry Bud but that is an insulting question coming from someone who has (for some of us) a retirement portfolio's worth they sit in front of and listen to. Your wires cost more than many's whole system
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Maybe, but I haven’t spent $17K on a CD transport.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Maybe, but I haven’t spent $17K on a CD transport.

You should.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    LOL. Not is this lifetime. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ok, I found a good pic of the transport. Removing the silver disc will not access the pickup. You have to remove the entire top cover. There are 2 screws on each side, see crudely circled areas.

x8m4b8gaoubx.jpg

Beat me to it Jesse. Relatively straight forward.
    jlwjkuq232zl.jpg
    ha0eaxmi0cvy.jpg

I had my old friend apart last summer cleaning the lens and transport.
    Ended up shipping it cross country and having the transport replaced.
    Removing the tray is easy peasy too.

• F1nut
    Did the cleaning not help?

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Contacted Emm

They said try cd cleaner

Bought from Amazon and waited a week for delivery.

Nada. No worky.

Which CD cleaner did you get? I need to get one, just in case.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    edited January 2020
    Verb, I don’t think they work all that well.

I would use the process that F1 laid out, with the Q-Tip and alcohol.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    FWIW, those lens cleaning CD's have never worked on any CDP I used them on. Used one cheap one and one that was rather expensive with solution back in the day. 80% of the time, the Q-tip and alcohol worked for mine. (gently!)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • verb
    Thanks guys. That's what I gleaned from other threads as well. Just curious which ones have you tried Tom?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • treitz3
    It's been so long ago, I would be lying if I tried to tell you. The only thing I remember was the cost for one was around ten bucks and the other one was around 35-40 bucks IIRC.

Both were given away to friends. Both were trash. That much I do remember.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • verb
    treitz3 wrote: »
    It's been so long ago, I would be lying if I tried to tell you. The only thing I remember was the cost for one was around ten bucks and the other one was around 35-40 bucks IIRC.

Both were given away to friends. Both were trash. That much I do remember.

Tom

No worries Tom. Gotta laugh though, trash, giving to friends. lol! :smile:
  • treitz3
    One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Tom
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I personally am willing to jump through a few hoops to avoid shipping audio gear. I hate shipping - it’s always a crap-shoot, and can create problems far greater than the one you are trying to fix.

Totally agree
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    F1nut wrote: »
    Did the cleaning not help?

No.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited January 2020
    Thanks for the posts guys.

1. Top cover has no screws, it appears to be a fitted cover of sorts.
    2. Thx for the internal pics, it does look well made. I probably have no shot of actually opening the unit and doing my own fix.
    3. Emm would like it shipped to their factory, I'm expecting a significant transport cost for replacement (ugh)
    4. Doubt it's 17K.

Still, I'm still enjoying my system almost nightly (and even during the day sometimes). My wife came home yesterday morning after dropping the kids off at school, I figured I had an hour to myself so I listened in my room. She thought the neighbors were blasting their music when she came back so she was about to call the HOA, only to find out it was her husband at fault. Hehehe

Atleast the DAC is separate and works well thus far.

I am running a streamer into the DAC and enjoying Tidal.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • F1nut
    The screws for the top cover are on the bottom side. Turn it upside down to access.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

Thx for the internal pics, it does look well made. I probably have no shot of actually opening the unit and doing my own fix.

A surgeon that can't handle a screwdriver... :p;)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675

1. Top cover has no screws, it appears to be a fitted cover of sorts.
    2. Thx for the internal pics, it does look well made. I probably have no shot of actually opening the unit and doing my own fix.
    3. Emm would like it shipped to their factory, I'm expecting a significant transport cost for replacement (ugh)
    4. Doubt it's 17K.

Still, I'm still enjoying my system almost nightly (and even during the day sometimes). My wife came home yesterday morning after dropping the kids off at school, I figured I had an hour to myself so I listened in my room. She thought the neighbors were blasting their music when she came back so she was about to call the HOA, only to find out it was her husband at fault. Hehehe

Atleast the DAC is separate and works well thus far.

I am running a streamer into the DAC and enjoying Tidal.

4. It costs $500. Do you accept Zelle? I will pick it up myself, no shipping required. Hehe

Hope it gets back in working order soon man.

Cheers.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

Thx for the internal pics, it does look well made. I probably have no shot of actually opening the unit and doing my own fix.

A surgeon that can't handle a screwdriver... :p;)

I think it's only the orthopedic surgeons that do screws and stuff.

:|
  • Joey_V
    Psh.

Carpenters.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • treitz3
    So, what is the current status of the unit, Joey?

Tom
  • Joey_V
    I despise Mr Biron
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I despise Mr Biron

One day, we will meet, and your heart will melt. <3

Because I set fire to it!!!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!