RAM 1500 Hemi owners...MDS or not?

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited January 2020 in The Clubhouse
I did a comparison on a 500 mile drive (one-way) this weekend to see what the difference would be in gas mileage allowing MDS to work, then disabling MDS on the trip back. MDS allows the engine to shut down 4 cylinders to conserve gasoline---at least that is the claim.

Traffic both ways was normal; no backups, fairly smooth sailing to and from our destination. I used 91 octane fuel. In 75mph zones I set cruise at 78 mph; and in 65mph zones I set cruise at 70mph. Here's the results:

MDS active: 18.8 mpg
MDS deactivated: 18.1mpg
Vehicle: 2019 RAM 1500 Classic Big Horn 4x4, 5.7L Hemi V8

As you can see, there wasn't much gas savings running MDS. Just like my Charger 5.7L Hemi, the 8 speed transmission has far more to do with the gas savings than MDS. So, if you're not crazy about running your 5.7L Hemi on 4 cylinders, this may or may not sway you.
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Marketing at its best perhaps
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    When I had a Grand Cherokee with the Hemi I would have liked to turn off MDS around suburbia even though I was only getting around 12.5 mpg. No option to turn it off back then with the six speed. If on the highway cruising long distance at 75 mph I would use MDS anyway. I recall getting around 22 mpg on interstate driving, which I thought was impressive.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I was expecting a bigger difference with the long highway miles. In my 2018 Charger R/T (8-speed tranny), I run 8 cylinder mode 100% (MDS off) and I get about 19mpg city, 26mpg highway. Keep in mind the Charger is about the same size as a Chevy Impala, so I'm thrilled with 26mpg highway out of a V8 Hemi.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    It's not about mileage as much as it is about emissions. I guarantee that running MDS while cruising cut emissions by at least 30%, probably more. It's not an even 50% because they do have to change the tuning on those 4 cylinders to up the power a bit plus, there's pumping losses too. But 30-40% reduction in emissions is significant.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    I hate the fact that you cannot turn this off on GM vehicles. I purchased the Hypertech 2.0 for mostly this reason. Not to mention if you have aftermarket exhaust, it sounds awful on 4 cylinders. Waste of time IMO, and as far as the environment, the 18 wheeler's blasting out tons of smoke and fumes around here should be more of a concern than whatever gains come of the v4 mode.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I have heard rumors on the Tundra forum I frequent. That the Chevy pickup engines that shut off some of the cylinders cause oil starvation in those areas and can cause catastrophic failures. Tundras are the most reliable but it comes at a cost of poor gas mileage. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Cylinder deactivation and start/stop systems are stupid.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Jstas
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    I hate the fact that you cannot turn this off on GM vehicles. I purchased the Hypertech 2.0 for mostly this reason. Not to mention if you have aftermarket exhaust, it sounds awful on 4 cylinders. Waste of time IMO, and as far as the environment, the 18 wheeler's blasting out tons of smoke and fumes around here should be more of a concern than whatever gains come of the v4 mode.

Diesels are actually much cleaner than you think. Yes, some trucks that belch smoke do have issues with tuning and need to be serviced but the majority that are belching smoke are doing so because they are either cold or under heavy load or both.

OTR diesel trucks spend very little time under heavy load or cold compared to running at speed and at their peak efficiency. Most people only notice the belching smoke because big diesel trucks are not made to putter around town but that's where the average joe sees them the most. They are made to haul thousands of pounds at a reasonable speed over the road. To get that level of efficiency, you need to make some sacrifices somewhere. So if it's spending 90% of it's time at that peak efficiency than the 10% it spends reaching optimum temperatures or accelerating to highway speeds is the trade-off. Since most people that aren't truck drivers don't drive highways for extended periods on a regular basis, they only see trucks belching smoke at truck stops or driving around a town where their next drop off or pick up is. Doesn't mean they are excessive polluters, just that you're not seeing them at their peak efficiency doing what they do best.
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    I have heard rumors on the Tundra forum I frequent. That the Chevy pickup engines that shut off some of the cylinders cause oil starvation in those areas and can cause catastrophic failures. Tundras are the most reliable but it comes at a cost of poor gas mileage. Peace. D

I would be leery about Tundra owners giving advice/experience with Chevy trucks.

Also, quantify your statement that Tundras are the most reliable. 'Cause I guarantee you that if I actually go look up the numbers, the statistical probability will show your claim that "Tundras are the most reliable" to be nothing more than statistical margin of error and Tundras aren't any more reliable than any other brand out there. Given the production numbers of Tundras compared to Ford, GM or Dodge in regards to full-sized trucks, there's a good chance that the Tundra failure rate per production unit is significantly higher because of the lower numbers.

Just for instance, last I checked, GMC made about 233K trucks last year. The Tundra was barely half that. The Tacoma outsold it by almost 3 to 1 at about 250K units vs the Tundra's just over 100K units.

So, GM in total made 576K Chevies and 233K GMCs for a grand total of 809K trucks. Dodge made about 634K and Ford is still the king with about 874K units produced.

If you assume a 5% error rate that means that:
    - GM had 11,650 bad eggs in their production run
    - Toyota had 5,575 bad eggs in their production run

But the error rate is rarely the same across all brands. Those are 2019 numbers so we won't see statistics on failures until mid-2020. All we have to go on is initial purchase surveys which are garbage.

But, for example and using the numbers above, if you have 809K trucks produced with an error rate of 2.08%, that's about 16,830 vehicles that were duds. Compare that to 111,500 trucks produced with about 6700 being duds, it's only 40% of the errors that GM had but, that's an error rate of 6.01%. So per unit, for every 100 trucks, you have 6 bad Tundras compared to the every 100 GMs you only have 2 bad trucks. The GMs out number the Tundras because of sheer production levels, not because they less reliable. For every 1 Tundra made, GM made 7+ trucks. In the odds of all production numbers, your chances of hitting a bad GM are better than hitting a bad Toyota but, that doesn't mean the Toyota is more reliable. It just means there are less of them. Statistically, if you're just looking at Toyotas, you have a better chance at hitting a bad Toyota than if you were just looking at GMs and hitting a bad GM.

When you factor in market share, though, and you decide to go and survey owners to see who has a broken truck and is isn't happy with it, if your sample size isn't large enough, you have a good chance of getting Ford, GM, Dodge and Toyota owners in your survey but due to market share, not just nationally but regionally, you have a statistically better chance of finding dissatisfied Ford, Dodge and GM owners than you do Toyota, Nissan and Honda solely because any one of "The Big 3" outproduces all of "The Small 3" combined in any given year.

So anecdotal evidence and spun statistical reporting doesn't make a Tundra fanboy forum the defacto standard on Chevy reliability issues. It just means that the comparatively few Tundra owners out there found a place to hang out together. But, the number of Tundra owners is far too small to be considered a viable population size when surveying in regards to Ford, Dodge or GM. Last year, Ford, Dodge and GM sold 2.35M trucks, combined. Toyota sold about 111,500 Tundras. That's not even 5% of the total trucks from the competition and that doesn't even include Honda and Nissan numbers. And even if you included the 250K Tacoma buyers, you'd still only have about 15% for a sample size in total. That's a significant sample size in numbers but not really a significant size statistically speaking. Especially since that sample size could be skewed regionally. Like California would have significantly higher density of Toyota buyers while, Oklahoma would be more likely to be Ford/Chevy heavy. So with a total sample size of about 362K Toyota owners on a national level, a survey in California could push Toyota's market share into double digits with 20-30% instead of 15% but in Oklahoma, there could be so few Toyotas that they'd have single digit or even a fraction of a percent of market share and neither situation would be indicative of the whole 3M+ full-sized truck market.

So yeah, unless you go to a Chevy forum and see a significant number of new Chevy truck owners complaining about the Chevy version of MDS lunching engines inside the first year, saying that Chevys are doing so and Tundras are the most reliable because a small subset of the already small subset of the Tundra owners said so is just shenanigans.

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Ok. Forget 18 wheeler’s, how about cow flatulence?
  • Jstas
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Ok. Forget 18 wheeler’s, how about cow flatulence?

EAT MOAR COW!

• motorhead43026
    Options
    Toyota has announced it is moving Tacoma production to Mexico.
    I think it is 2022 when the move is to take place.

With that aside Mexico is known for its Tacos.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    An irony is the cylinder deactivation systems which have been in the field for many years may be more reliable than the new stuff being used for fuel economy like small engines with heavily boosted turbos, high pressure fuel injection, and mild hybrid 48 volt systems. Lexus and Toyota recalling 700,000 recent model vehicles for bad fuel pumps may be one sign of trouble to come.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    I feel like the move to turbo, direct injection, high PSI fuel should have been done slower with more R&D. "We" had naturally aspirated and port injection down pat.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I feel like the move to turbo, direct injection, high PSI fuel should have been done slower with more R&D. "We" had naturally aspirated and port injection down pat.

Yeah, I am leery of the long-term reliability of the small displacement turbos -- admittedly, this is based on the past eccentricities ;) of turbochargers in passenger cars. There's a history of them self-destructing in entertaining and expensive ways in several brands of motorcar that I can think of (Saab, e.g.) :/

My theory :p : the world's auto manufactures got so good at building hyper-reliable I/C engines (I'm lookin' at you, Honda ;) ) that they shot themselves in the foot in terms of selling new cars. Easy fix: re-introduce some planned obsolescence into the heart of your products.

Oh, and them there modern, multi-speed, multi-clutch automatic transmissions. Those are gonna last 300k miles, I'm sure...

B)

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Check resale values for trucks. Reliability and resale value go hand in hand. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    Check resale values for trucks. Reliability and resale value go hand in hand. Peace. D

oh... those used Tundras sure do hold their value, don't they?

;)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I turn MDS off when I'm driving around town back roads etc. But on the highway I turn it on to save gas.
    I never compared to 2 to each other but like your Charger I have ECO Normal and Sports Mode on my R/T Durango.
    I do hate when it's on around town, it bogs and feels sluggish.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2020
    Options

@Dabutcher, I frequent the same forums as I purchased a 2019 tundra crewmax trd off-road in June after my 4runner was totaled by a guy running a red light. There is no fanboy here I assure you but after years of owning Toyota’s, the safety and reliability are the reasons why I will continue to purchase Toyota offerings. My 4runner had been paid off, north 100k miles and was 58 months old when it was totaled. I got over 75% of what I PAID FOR IT as insurance settlement.

People can spin the numbers all they want, and it’s true the tundra has its issue with fuel economy. Rumor is they are scrapping the v8 for a turbo v6 in the near future across all truck platforms. I will kindly take my v8, drive it like a grandpa and appreciate the fact that when I tow and haul (which we do often with our camper) I have the necessary get up and go. And whenever I decide to sell it, I KNOW I will be getting an elevated ROI compared to other models.

Wife drives a rav4, I have driven a 4runner, Camry and corolla, and daughter drives a 4runner. Peace of mind with safety, reliability and resale are worth its weight in gold to me.....

@jstas, if you want a laugh you should see the service records from my 2005 Nissan titan. That spent more days in the shop than driving it, had many of the major parts replaced and still didn’t run right. Couldn’t use 4wd for over a year while they diagnosed the issue and lost my shirt on resale. ALL makes have their problems, but Toyota, in my experience, has far fewer and when they do the company is known to make it right.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    You want to know what's reliable?
    Contact an extended warranty company on two like trucks from different brands.
    They have access to databases on what fails and what it costs to fix.They know what it costs to maintain just about everything out there.
    If one brand costs double to buy a warranty on, then that tells you everything.
    It's a shame we all don't have a way to look this up. Most online stuff is purpose driven
    and isn't that good a reference. They pay the $$$$ to get real data.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Jstas
    Options

No, they don't.

BMWs are notoriously unreliable after about 3 years yet they retain value.

Additionally, to get back to trucks, anything with a diesel will retain an absurd amount of value yet there are only a select few with very specific engines that are actually reliable. The rest are just torque monsters with lots of power but no more reliable than your average gas engine. They cost 3 times as much to fix when they break too. But, the "diesel tax" exists because of people like you that buy into the hype and refuse to look past the lipstick on the pig.
    shawn474 wrote: »
    @jstas, if you want a laugh you should see the service records from my 2005 Nissan titan. That spent more days in the shop than driving it, had many of the major parts replaced and still didn’t run right. Couldn’t use 4wd for over a year while they diagnosed the issue and lost my shirt on resale. ALL makes have their problems, but Toyota, in my experience, has far fewer and when they do the company is known to make it right.

I'm not laughing at anything. I'm saying that your experience is an illusion. Toyota doesn't deserve the reputation it gets for reliability because the numbers don't show it. Places like Consumer Reports poll people, they don't extract hard numbers from manufacturers. J.D. Power is the same way. They talk to people who have already bought into the hype and it's been shown that those people are more willing to overlook problems that they would gladly throw any other company under the bus for and call them crap for it.

Fan: You know, I had my Buick for 6 years and the window switch broke on it! Do you believe that? I mean, seriously Buick, get it together! Anyway, after that I was DONE with Buick. Everyone says those Japanese jobs are more reliable so I bought a Toyota and haven't looked back!
    Surveyor: Have you had any issues with your Toyota?
    Fan: None!
    Surveyor: Well, the service records we got from your dealer show that you had your Toyota in for a repair. What was that for?
    Fan: Oh, that, yeah. About 7 months in, the window switch broke. Had to get it repaired but it was probably my fault, pushed it too hard or something. No big deal, Toyota fixed it under warranty.
    Surveyor: Did Buick fix the window switch for you?
    Fan: NO!
    Surveyor: They refused?
    Fan: Well, no, they didn't, I just had to pay for it. They said it was out of warranty.
    Surveyor: So what do you do for a living?
    Fan: Oh, I'm a medical coder.
    Surveyor: How far away from work do you live?
    Fan: Oh, work is about 5 miles away but I work from home often too.
    Surveyor: How did you rack up...let's see here...yeah, you said you put 21,000 miles on your car in a year?
    Fan: Oh, I deliver newspapers in the morning for extra cash.
    Surveyor: Oh, so you use your windows a lot?
    Fan: Yeah, especially when it's cold out! Can't throw papers through a closed window!

That's the kind of silliness you get talking to people for your surveys and then trying to hold those opinion surveys up as statistically accurate. Believe me, I went through this in college helping out grad students to do public surveys for course credit. We had to throw out half of our study data because of absurdity like the above. That guy's Buick held it together for 6 years before his above average use of the window switch caused a failure. The Toyota lasted 7 months. But the Toyota is more reliable because everyone said so? How does that work? Why is this chode refusing to look at his reality as valid experience but believes everyone else's anecdotal evidence, likely shrouded by the same silliness he exhibits, is gospel?

When you look at the hard numbers, and they are out there, Toyota and subsequently Lexus, are middle of the pack for reliability. Half of the GM brands score higher as well as Mazda, Subaru, Honda/Acura and VW. That's because the numbers are based on actual service/repair records, recall efforts and vehicle registration data with statistical analysis reports comparing those stats. Not on phone calls to fanboys that will gladly expound upon their favorite brand ad nauseum.

Just because your experience is good doesn't mean it's indicative of the entire population. Just because 10,000 people made the same choice and say the same thing doesn't mean they can't be wrong either. You have had a good experience with Toyotas and a bad experience with Nissans. I can give 5 other people I know personally who will gladly tell you that you are a joker and know nothing because their Nissans have been trouble free for many years. One of those Nissan owners has a brand new Tacoma...well, it's 2 years old right now. He has a new one because Toyota had to buy his old Tacoma from him because the frame was so rusted it was not repairable. They essentially had to remove the entire truck from the frame and suspension and replace the frame and the front end suspension to fix the rust issue. It was cheaper and less liability for Toyota to just give him FMV for his bad Tacoma and sell him a new one at a fraction of the MSRP to cover their asses. He told me he's basically holding on to it until the warranty is out and then he's going to sell it and go find an old Chevy C/K Silverado instead. I'm sure his opinions would contradict yours completely.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Contact an extended warranty company
    Why? They call me 6 or more times a day for a 16 year old truck's "Extended Warranty".

F'n bastages!

Got so bad, I went and paid for an app that kills 99% of the TM calls. But I hear what you are saying. Valid point/suggestion.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Options
    Jstas wrote: »

No, they don't.

BMWs are notoriously unreliable after about 3 years yet they retain value.

Additionally, to get back to trucks, anything with a diesel will retain an absurd amount of value yet there are only a select few with very specific engines that are actually reliable. The rest are just torque monsters with lots of power but no more reliable than your average gas engine. They cost 3 times as much to fix when they break too. But, the "diesel tax" exists because of people like you that buy into the hype and refuse to look past the lipstick on the pig.
    shawn474 wrote: »

I'm not laughing at anything. I'm saying that your experience is an illusion. Toyota doesn't deserve the reputation it gets for reliability because the numbers don't show it. Places like Consumer Reports poll people, they don't extract hard numbers from manufacturers. J.D. Power is the same way. They talk to people who have already bought into the hype and it's been shown that those people are more willing to overlook problems that they would gladly throw any other company under the bus for and call them crap for it.

Fan: You know, I had my Buick for 6 years and the window switch broke on it! Do you believe that? I mean, seriously Buick, get it together! Anyway, after that I was DONE with Buick. Everyone says those Japanese jobs are more reliable so I bought a Toyota and haven't looked back!
    Surveyor: Have you had any issues with your Toyota?
    Fan: None!
    Surveyor: Well, the service records we got from your dealer show that you had your Toyota in for a repair. What was that for?
    Fan: Oh, that, yeah. About 7 months in, the window switch broke. Had to get it repaired but it was probably my fault, pushed it too hard or something. No big deal, Toyota fixed it under warranty.
    Surveyor: Did Buick fix the window switch for you?
    Fan: NO!
    Surveyor: They refused?
    Fan: Well, no, they didn't, I just had to pay for it. They said it was out of warranty.
    Surveyor: So what do you do for a living?
    Fan: Oh, I'm a medical coder.
    Surveyor: How far away from work do you live?
    Fan: Oh, work is about 5 miles away but I work from home often too.
    Surveyor: How did you rack up...let's see here...yeah, you said you put 21,000 miles on your car in a year?
    Fan: Oh, I deliver newspapers in the morning for extra cash.
    Surveyor: Oh, so you use your windows a lot?
    Fan: Yeah, especially when it's cold out! Can't throw papers through a closed window!

That's the kind of silliness you get talking to people for your surveys and then trying to hold those opinion surveys up as statistically accurate. Believe me, I went through this in college helping out grad students to do public surveys for course credit. We had to throw out half of our study data because of absurdity like the above. That guy's Buick held it together for 6 years before his above average use of the window switch caused a failure. The Toyota lasted 7 months. But the Toyota is more reliable because everyone said so? How does that work? Why is this chode refusing to look at his reality as valid experience but believes everyone else's anecdotal evidence, likely shrouded by the same silliness he exhibits, is gospel?

When you look at the hard numbers, and they are out there, Toyota and subsequently Lexus, are middle of the pack for reliability. Half of the GM brands score higher as well as Mazda, Subaru, Honda/Acura and VW. That's because the numbers are based on actual service/repair records, recall efforts and vehicle registration data with statistical analysis reports comparing those stats. Not on phone calls to fanboys that will gladly expound upon their favorite brand ad nauseum.

Just because your experience is good doesn't mean it's indicative of the entire population. Just because 10,000 people made the same choice and say the same thing doesn't mean they can't be wrong either. You have had a good experience with Toyotas and a bad experience with Nissans. I can give 5 other people I know personally who will gladly tell you that you are a joker and know nothing because their Nissans have been trouble free for many years. One of those Nissan owners has a brand new Tacoma...well, it's 2 years old right now. He has a new one because Toyota had to buy his old Tacoma from him because the frame was so rusted it was not repairable. They essentially had to remove the entire truck from the frame and suspension and replace the frame and the front end suspension to fix the rust issue. It was cheaper and less liability for Toyota to just give him FMV for his bad Tacoma and sell him a new one at a fraction of the MSRP to cover their asses. He told me he's basically holding on to it until the warranty is out and then he's going to sell it and go find an old Chevy C/K Silverado instead. I'm sure his opinions would contradict yours completely.

As usual, this have devolved into a jstas lecture about how he is right and everyone else is wrong.....I will tap out after saying that my experience may be an “illusion”, but it’s fact that I haven’t had to do any major repairs out of warranty on ANY Toyota that i have owned. Oil changes, brakes, tires and an occasional door lock actuator. My parents have the same experience. My neighbor does as well, with Lexus and Toyota. So I guess I should say my personal experience with the brand and dealerships has been exceptional and something I am not yet willing to risk with another car company. Your story reinforces the fact that Toyota stands by their product and will make things right - even when other manufacturers wouldn’t. They have had rust issues with their frames in the past and decided to extend the warranty WELL past the scheduled warranty expired. ALL manufacturers have their issues; not all stand by their product the way Toyota has. Simply my opinion and first hand 30 years of Toyota car buying experience.

Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Jstas
    Options
    As usual, you missed my point and took away something completely unrelated to my post.

• Emlyn
    edited January 2020
    Options
    At the end of 2011 I was looking for a new vehicle to replace a 2003 Infiniti that was produced back when Nissan used to make good vehicles. I sat in a Toyota Highlander and thought, wow this has all the personality of a toaster. Didn't even bother to test drive it. Ended up buying a fully loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi. Owned that for four years. After half a dozen recalls for things that could have proven deadly and the dashboard peeling apart I dumped it. I really enjoyed the performance and drivetrain while I had it, but in retrospect if I had bought the Toyota appliance I would likely still have it. Should have leased the Jeep and bailed out earlier instead of buying it. My boss at the time bought a Highlander when I bought the Jeep and he still has his with zero problems.

The reliability of MDS on the Grand Cherokee never became an issue for me because so much else fell apart on it. The powertrain seemed to be bulletproof despite needing to bypass the engine management system in a recall though.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    Nobody ever bought a Toyota because it was sexy.
    (maybe the Supra?). Other than rust up North, not much stopped
    them. They had their t$rds just like everyone else, but not very many..
    Dodge is that girl you don't take home to mother. lease it for two years
    and dump it. And Jeep is even worse.
    My son used to be a Toyota mechanic at a dealership that sold 50% Dodge,
    and 50% Toyota. Equal number of mechanics. The Dodge guys were swimming in work. The Toyota mechanics were starving to death. He went back to school for networking. Welcome to Toyota.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    [ Quote ] As usual, this have devolved into a jstas lecture about how he is right and everyone else is wrong.... [/Quote]

Well, you can't argue against his facts.

.....as usual. 😇
    Sal Palooza
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited January 2020
    Options
    As usual, this have devolved into a jstas lecture about how he is right and everyone else is wrong....
    Well, you can't argue against his facts.

.....as usual. 😇

Personally I love his delve in to things, It had me laughing out loud at lunch today. In reality it's HOW you ask the question not what question was asked. The gent answered the question but the follow up questions got to the meat of his answer which in reality wasn't exactly truthful, yet wasn't a lie....
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Ford vs Chevy?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    qv5qvpuaq8jg.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~