Real room treatments on the way!

Well,Mrs.Tea has allowed me to get my birthday gift 3 1/2 months early. I feel my system is in a pretty good place,so the next step I figured would be to bring the room up to snuff.

I ordered products from GIK. The order consists of 2- 24x36 244 Bass traps,and 4-24x24 242 acoustical panels. These treatments should clean up the bass,as well as the little bit of echo in my listening room. It is a small 9x13 room,and I do have some very basic treatments up now. However they are mostly egg crate foam,and it's time to go with something that actually works,and looks good at the same time.

I am really looking forward to getting my room in shape,and being able to hear the music more,and the room less.
See my profile for list of gear.

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I love the GIK stuff.... great choice...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    I love the GIK stuff.... great choice...

GIK seems to be highly recommended. They aren't ridiculously priced either.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Congrats! I’m sure it’ll be an improvement

Post pics
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • TEAforONE
    Thanks Joey. I certainly will post pics once things are mounted.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Klaus at Odyssey highly recommended GIK. Lots of options on their website. Have a good time placing them.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Wow. Looking forward to seeing the setup. Post before and afters please.
  • TEAforONE
    Will do Joe.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Careful you don’t overdo it. I did that to my HT/spare stereo room, and it muffled the sound. I ended up removing the panels from the ceiling and side walls (reflection points), and left two panels on the rear wall. Sounds great now.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • TEAforONE
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Careful you don’t overdo it. I did that to my HT/spare stereo room, and it muffled the sound. I ended up removing the panels from the ceiling and side walls (reflection points), and left two panels on the rear wall. Sounds great now.

I will take that into consideration. I have 2- 24x48x1" panels at the side wall first reflection points now. Although,I don't know if 1" panels actually do anything?? I plan on treating the rear wall as well. Nothing on the ceiling.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yes. Let your ears be your guide. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Great move! Even in a dedicated room getting W/approval for first reflection points on the ceiling is a tough sell.
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    You are going to love it. I was blown away at how much better it sounded in my room.

Congrats!
  • TEAforONE
    My wife gives zero input into my listening room. Believe me,I've tried to include her in decor or equipment choices. She looks at me like I have six heads. She wouldn't care if I brought life size KISS statues in my listening room. As long as the door will shut,she's good! From what I've seen on the interwebs,my wife is the exception,not the rule.
  • Yep, great wife. That makes the audio journey just a bit more fun. And you dont have to wait till late at night to sneak in the latest gear, even better!
    Analog Source: Rega P3-24 Exact 2 w/GT delrin platter & Neo TT-PSU Digital Source: Lumin T2 w/Roon (NUC) DAC: Denafrips Pontus II Phono Preamp: Rega Aria MK3 Preamp: Rogue RP-7 Amp: Pass X150.8 Speakers: Joseph Audio Perspective 2, Audio Physic Tempo Plus Cables: Morrow M4 ICs & Audio Art SC-5 ePlus, Shunyata PCs Misc: Shunyata Hydra Delta D6, VTI rack, GIK acoustic panels
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

(Although the wife never did notice)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TEAforONE
    phipiper10 wrote: »
    Yep, great wife. That makes the audio journey just a bit more fun. And you dont have to wait till late at night to sneak in the latest gear, even better!

I do consider myself truly blessed. She even said I can get a new Dodge Challenger Red Eye Hellcat. As long as I will work another 10 years. I'm going to love my new room treatments!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Believe me, no car is worth working another 10 years. Well, maybe a few.....
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    Yep, great wife. That makes the audio journey just a bit more fun. And you dont have to wait till late at night to sneak in the latest gear, even better!

I do consider myself truly blessed. She even said I can get a new Dodge Challenger Red Eye Hellcat. As long as I will work another 10 years. I'm going to love my new room treatments!

Why would you get a new Hellcat, when for much less, you could get this! ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Dodge-Challenger-Convertible/274260430896?_trkparms=aid=1110002&algo=SPLICE.SOI&ao=1&asc=225086&meid=c357632a36524a3fb98e5f46816b02c9&pid=100047&rk=6&rkt=12&sd=283682787462&itm=274260430896&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100047.m2108
    Just kidding. (mostly B) )

Those panels look great by the way!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited February 2020
    My wife gives zero input into my listening room. Believe me,I've tried to include her in decor or equipment choices. She looks at me like I have six heads. She wouldn't care if I brought life size KISS statues in my listening room. As long as the door will shut,she's good! From what I've seen on the interwebs,my wife is the exception,not the rule.

Where can I buy life sized Kiss statues?

Also, what are the Rubik's Cube looking thingies?
  • afterburnt wrote: »

I bet if you contact Gene,he'll have some made! (For a nominal fee,of course)
  • mlistens03 wrote: »

Why would you get a new Hellcat, when for much less, you could get this! ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Dodge-Challenger-Convertible/274260430896?_trkparms=aid=1110002&algo=SPLICE.SOI&ao=1&asc=225086&meid=c357632a36524a3fb98e5f46816b02c9&pid=100047&rk=6&rkt=12&sd=283682787462&itm=274260430896&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100047.m2108
    Just kidding. (mostly B) )

Those panels look great by the way!

Thanks for the kind words! That car is gorgeous,but the 318 has to go!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt wrote: »

I bet if you contact Gene,he'll have some made! (For a nominal fee,of course)

Cool, they will go great with my life sized Iggy Pop statue!

And about them cubes?
  • Cubes? I'm a little slow sometimes.
  • afterburnt
    Them things on your door, under your window and above your albums.
  • Ahhhhh! I told you I was a little slow! Those are diffusion/absorbtion panels. They are about 2"thick acoustic foam,with a laminate. He offers a few different designs. Last month he was blowing these out for $69 delivered for a 4 pack. Normally $69 plus $44 for shipping. I figured for that price,why not.
  • afterburnt
    Ahhhhh! I told you I was a little slow! Those are diffusion/absorbtion panels. They are about 2"thick acoustic foam,with a laminate. He offers a few different designs. Last month he was blowing these out for $69 delivered for a 4 pack. Normally $69 plus $44 for shipping. I figured for that price,why not.

Interesting concept, I always thought of diffusers as having irregular surfaces.

Here's my life sized Iggy, this was when he was in his prime.
    n347tpeyqx0o.png
  • TEAforONE
    edited February 2020
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Ahhhhh! I told you I was a little slow! Those are diffusion/absorbtion panels. They are about 2"thick acoustic foam,with a laminate. He offers a few different designs. Last month he was blowing these out for $69 delivered for a 4 pack. Normally $69 plus $44 for shipping. I figured for that price,why not.

Interesting concept, I always thought of diffusers as having irregular surfaces.

Here's my life sized Iggy, this was when he was in his prime.
    n347tpeyqx0o.png

I'm just going by his description on the listing. GIK also has foam/laminated panels as well. I agree about diffusion being multi thicknesses. I believe GIK calls them the same thing.

That must be a pic of Iggy when he was young,because he does looks pretty good! A little on the heavy side though.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    I received my acoustical panels. They are GIK and a guy I found on EBay. The laminated panels are from E bay. The gentleman is located in the Ukraine. The price was right,4 panels,roughly 20”x20”x2” for $69 shipped. No affiliation. Anyhow,I installed everything thing this morning. I’m loving the better imaging and I also didn’t realize the bass was a bit boomy before the GIKs. Here’s my roompowwx7gi35s0.jpeg
    ebk48c9gql7f.jpeg
    c06tvyxcsq3g.jpeg
    gf7f8w6kp6x6.jpeg
    gct30kvh4yga.jpeg

Great set-up! Glad you got a satisfying result.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Panels are looking good! The first thing I noticed when playing with treatments was the Imaging tightened up, significantly.