The curse of the 3 payday month or quarterly bonus curse strikes again

gudnoyez
gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
edited January 2020 in The Clubhouse
I'm cursed when it comes to these months or the quarterly bonus check. I love thinking about what to do with that 3rd extra paycheck, or the quarterly bonus check. It seems that as much as I plan on what to do with the extra cash coming my way something breaks needs to be replaced and my hope's and dreams of my upcoming spending spree vanish in in thin air.

It wasn't the other day we were talking at work about what we were going to do with our extra cash this month. I was surprised to here one of my coworkers say something bad is bound to happen and I thought to myself hey here is some poor SOB that suffers the same dilemma that I do.

Well the curse reared it's ugly head and bestowed upon me my latest dilemma a double whammy this time around. The first was getting a $75 speeding ticket in the mail the speed camera clocked me 7 mph over the speed limit. I was pretty pissed and said to myself I hope they choke on my money while I scratched the check. I got over it and said that aint bad and figured if that's all I got by ok. Then last night we got a good icing and I apparently didnt spread enough ice melt and backing down the hill I smashed right in the retaining wall and did some damage to my vehicle so there goes $500 for the deductible, I just cant catch a break oh well at least I got some extra funds coming my way to spend on something. Does any of you fine fellow forum members suffer from such a curse? I cant seem to shake this one it happens every $!&%%% time.
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    3rd check? ....extra money?.... What are these things you speak of?

Sorry Man... That really stinks.
  • gudnoyez
    edited January 2020
    It's where you get 3 checks on a long month and if your lucky that long month falls on the end of a quarter, you knew that right? Me I'm still bumming.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Never mind 3 checks, I just got a monster on 1/10, included extra tours and 2 worked holidays ----
    and the money is already spent. :'(
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    yeah.... sometimes I think owning a car isn't work the "convenience"....but public transportation or biking not an option for me. My GLI needs 1300.00 of work. The good news is I discovered my "normal place" for car repairs quoted me 2600.00 for the same work. Good way to lose a customer forever!!
  • gudnoyez
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Never mind 3 checks, I just got a monster on 1/10, included extra tours and 2 worked holidays ----
    and the money is already spent. :'(

As long as you got to spend it on what you intended on instead of having to replace something or fix something that all of a sudden happend when you were ready to cash that check then it's all good, if not then the curse is real :o

Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    As long as you got to spend it on what you intended on instead of having to replace something or fix something that all of a sudden happend when you were ready to cash that check then it's all good, if not then the curse is real :o
    Can we look at it as a blessing that you receive those paychecks to pay for those things that, maybe/probably, were going to happen anyway???
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I remember there being almost a year of three day weekends falling on what happened to be duty weekends for me when I was in the Marines...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825

Well, ok, I guess that's a good way of looking at it. It just sucked that that particular payday coincided with the day our property taxes were due. But if the glass is half full, then I guess I'm glad that check took care of more than 2/3 of what I sent to the Town.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Are you for real?

Part of your problem is that you're seeing your regular paycheck as "extra" when it's really not.

Yeah, I got a 3rd paycheck coming this month too but I only get paid twice in February, the 14th and the 28th. If I blow my Jan 31st paycheck on something stupid, I'm gonna be short for bills in February or everything is going to be late until I get paid on the 28th.That's not good, especially if you're trying keep a good or improve a bad credit rating. And then March is going to be a tight month too because of that "bonus paycheck" that isn't really a bonus. It's just paycheck #3 of 26 for the year and it's gonna take you until paycheck #6 or #7 of 26 to catch up to your "bonus".

The only "curse" here is your lack of personal financial acumen.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • gudnoyez
    Jstas wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Part of your problem is that you're seeing your regular paycheck as "extra" when it's really not.

Yeah, I got a 3rd paycheck coming this month too but I only get paid twice in February, the 14th and the 28th. If I blow my Jan 31st paycheck on something stupid, I'm gonna be short for bills in February or everything is going to be late until I get paid on the 28th.That's not good, especially if you're trying keep a good or improve a bad credit rating. And then March is going to be a tight month too because of that "bonus paycheck" that isn't really a bonus. It's just paycheck #3 of 26 for the year and it's gonna take you until paycheck #6 or #7 of 26 to catch up to your "bonus".

https://michaelsaves.com/save-money/3-paycheck-months-2020/

Not talking about the pay check on the 31st talking about the second check this month which happens today. Two months out of the year you recieve a 3rd paycheck the other 10 months you recieve 2 paychecks. A Quarterly bonus occurs every 3 months which is 4 extra checks a year for me anyways. Hmm that adds up to six extra paychecks a year. I dont need to brush up on personal financial acumen. It's quite easy to understand.

Its every time I recieve one of those extra 6 paychecks. I have stuff that happens that wasn't planned on those checks instead of buying something, I would like to, I use them to cover these unexpected occurrences with those extra checks, it usually happens everytime, hence the curse. Instead of dipping into the savings to cover said occurances I can use the extra cash these extra payments provide, instead of treating myself to something I really wanted. Sorry to have confused you, your financial advice was really not needed. Here's a good acumen for you, A penny saved is a penny earned solid advice that comes in handy for one building thier portfolio.😁
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• gudnoyez
    Jstas wrote: »
    Are you for real?

https://michaelsaves.com/save-money/3-paycheck-months-2020/

Not talking about the pay check on the 31st talking about the second check this month which happens today. Two months out of the year you recieve a 3rd paycheck the other 10 months you recieve 2 paychecks. A Quarterly bonus occurs every 3 months which is 4 extra checks a year for me anyways. Hmm that adds up to six extra paychecks a year. I dont need to brush up on personal financial acumen. It's quite easy to understand.

Its every time I recieve one of those extra 6 paychecks. I have stuff that happens that wasn't planned on those checks instead of buying something, I would like to, I use them to cover these unexpected occurrences with those extra checks, it usually happens everytime, hence the curse. Instead of dipping into the savings to cover said occurances I can use the extra cash these extra payments provide, instead of treating myself to something I really wanted. Sorry to have confused you, your financial advice was really not needed. Here's a good acumen for you, a penny saved is a penny earned solid advice that comes in handy for one building thier portfolio.😁
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Be thankful for those "extra" paychecks and thankful also that the misfortunes happen when you have the checks.
    For several years I was the sole breadwinner and had my annual layoff at around Christmas time. For whatever reason I could always count on a massive auto repair bill at layoff time when money was super tight. Having an extra paycheck during those extra difficult times would've been a dream come true for me.
  • gudnoyez
    edited January 2020
    Be thankful for those "extra" paychecks and thankful also that the misfortunes happen when you have the checks.
    For several years I was the sole breadwinner and had my annual layoff at around Christmas time. For whatever reason I could always count on a massive auto repair bill at layoff time when money was super tight. Having an extra paycheck during those extra difficult times would've been a dream come true for me.

That's what this post was about the misfortunes that happen when recieving the extra paychecks it's just that when they arrive with the luck I've had it's a gimmie that such occurrences happen. I agree having them and not having to go a different route to cover them is a blessing as much as it is a curse.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I had a terrible December

I was cursed.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • gudnoyez
    Sorry to hear that Joey I feel your pain keep on keeping on. The curse is real.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    I knew what you meant Steve I like you never get to experience the extra funds. I was just alluding to that :D
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

Yep. It's really a blessing. To be able to manage what life throws at you.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.