I tried it...and I could not have expected what I heard!!!!

dhart86
dhart86 Posts: 1,594
edited January 2020 in Electronics
Happy New Year Gents! It's been a while since I've posted. I generally only post when I experience a real sonic revelation (except when posting in the F.S. section) Let me first start this thread by thanking the many members here that helped me experiment and gain real audio/stereo understanding. When I started this journey I was green as they come.

I work really hard for my $$$ and can't afford to throw it around all "willy-nilly." I was THE most skeptical person and I thought every tweak was just Snake Oil stuff to separate me from my money and I didn't believe the claims being made regarding improved sound, dynamics etc. I mean how can a power cable dramatically change and improve the sound off your stereo system.

Well I'd like to share the best bang for the buck tweek that I've recently experienced and could not- I repeat- could not have expected what I heard. But first let me share my current components

Stereo Compnents
Antipodes Dx Music Server > PS Audio Directstream Dac > DeHavilland Ultraverve 3 preamp > Belles Reference 150A Amp driving Harbeth Compact 7 Speakers

Current tweaks/power/cables
Shunyata Triton v2 power conditioner > Shunyata power cords: Alpha HC (pre & Amp) King Cobra v1 (music server) Sidewinder ( Dac) Delta NR (Conditioner to wall outlet)

Tubes in Preamp: Psvane Treasure CV-181-T and Sylvainia VT-231 (both 6SN7 variants)

Audioquest Oak speaker cables and MIT Shotgun S1 interconnects.

I slowly worked my way up to this system as my first real mid-fi system was :smile:
Polk Monitor 70 speakers / Rotel RB 991 amp Rotel RC 1070 pre / Adcom Dac / and Denon CD player.

Well, to end this long-winded introduction, I saw a holiday sale for some audio fuses. Yeah fuses. Couldn't believe they would do much, but that's what I thought about power cables until I tried Shunyata's. It's important to buy right and avoid snake oil types stuff because it is out there....read up and consider reviews, especially user reviews. Well, I quickly moved up Shunyata's line with noticeable improvements every time.

This last tweak is bang for the buck worthy! I bought Synergistic Research Orange Fuses and WOW! I always doubted fuses could make a difference. I bought a Synergistic Blue Fuse about 2 mos ago and put it in my Dac. That added a big step up in detail, clarity, separation, air, imaging as well as sound stage (the usual suspects) But the new Orange fuses were like the Blue on steroids. The most noticeable difference I heard now in addition to the usual suspects was the texture it added, tonality was almost pure, and rhythmic pace. The singer is in your room. There was more meat on the bone with out sounding thick or slow. Bass++ tight and fast / highs were nicely extended without being harsh. No harshness anywhere whatsoever. Very musical in my system.

It was $159 which is pricey for a dang fuse, but the difference it made...well let's just say I paid a lot more for a lot less. In MY SYSTEM it was an outstanding improvement. As always ymmv. I bought 3 Orange fuses, started off in my dac, gave it about 30 hrs, then put a fuse in the music server, gave it 20 hrs, then finally I put a fuse in the Pre about an hour ago, I am listening as I type and I am in musical heaven. I recommend this tweak if you already have a decent system, try one, I dare you!!!

Main Rig:
Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

Comments

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited January 2020
    No BS. I installed the ultimate bees wax fuse (a little more dough that the one mentioned here) in my Vega G2 and the improvement took 2 seconds to hear and over the next 3 week's it just got better. Great upgrade and glad I made the change.

Congrats to you and enjoy.
    Post edited by tophatjohnny on
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • dhart86
    edited January 2020
    No BS. I installed the ultimate bees was fuse (a little more dough that the one mentioned here) in my Vega G2 and the improvement took 2 seconds to hear and over the next 3 week's it just got better. Great upgrade and glad I made the change.

Congrats to you and enjoy.

Thanks tophatjohnny, it really didn't take long to hear improvement on these guys either. I put time in between each install because I wanted to capture each improvement. Good for you and the Vega G2 on the bees wax. Enjoy bud!
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Very nice. Sometimes, just sometimes one can make a considerable improvement without having to dish out hundreds or thousands of dollars. Nice rig, BTW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Thanks alot guys :^ / (sarcasm). I've heard good things about the oranges but was hoping it wasn't true.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dhart86
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Thanks alot guys :^ / (sarcasm). I've heard good things about the oranges but was hoping it wasn't true.

Lol....I get it! But this was one of the least expensive most gratifying upgrades I've made
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• dhart86
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Very nice. Sometimes, just sometimes one can make a considerable improvement without having to dish out hundreds or thousands of dollars. Nice rig, BTW.

Tom

Exactly!!! Every now and then... you hit!
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    dhart86 wrote: »
    I bought 3 Orange fuses, started off in my dac, gave it about 30 hrs, then put a fuse in the music server, gave it 20 hrs, then finally I put a fuse in the Pre about an hour ago, I am listening as I type and I am in musical heaven. I recommend this tweak if you already have a decent system, try one, I dare you!!!
    Lol, love it, thanks for sharing your experience on this Darren. That last line made me laugh.
    I disabled signatures.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I need to check that my fuses are easy to get at, and if so then try this tweak. I am so satisfied with the current sound I can’t imagine changing anything other than the fuses.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I need to check that my fuses are easy to get at, and if so then try this tweak. I am so satisfied with the current sound I can’t imagine changing anything other than the fuses.

They should be :)

Well...

at least some of them -- of course, it's not uncommon for electronic components to have internal fuses in addition to a user-accessible AC mains fuse, or even fusible links in power transformer windings, or "fusistors" or... heh, heh, heh... Polyswitches.

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Are you saying replace all fuses in the component or just the ac mains?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    marvda1 wrote: »

a dangerous question

;)

... but, in fairness, also a testable hypothesis.

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    I sooo intended on taking advantage of the buy 2 get 1 free promo that recentLy ended. If that deal comes around again, I’ll seriously reconsider...

Did you experiment with directionality? Some say it makes a diff, I dunno

Congrats on the great tweek!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • dhart86
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I have a hard time spending money on something designed to go POOF!

Ever buy dinner out? Ever think about where that goes?
    POOF is close...

B)

:D
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• dhart86
    BlueFox wrote: »

Bud, you have a nice system and you know all too well what difference Shunyata products make. Try this fuse, you won't be disappointed.
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• dhart86
    marvda1 wrote: »

Currently, I just replaced the AC mains fuses.
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• dhart86
    edited January 2020
    GlennDog wrote: »
    I sooo intended on taking advantage of the buy 2 get 1 free promo that recentLy ended. If that deal comes around again, I’ll seriously reconsider...

Did you experiment with directionality? Some say it makes a diff, I dunno

Congrats on the great tweek!

Glenn, that's the promo I took advantage of. Yes I have experimented with directionality and it does make a difference. When I put it in the music server initially, I thought I'd put it in the correct current flow direction. The sound did improved a lot over the stock fuse. But just for kicks, I changed the direction after a few hours and the improved detail, texture etc. stunned me, so yes it does make a difference
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I would have to buy 6 to replace mine. I'd be cheaper to buy new amps...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    .....with the same stock fuses. o:)

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Geez...I had to buy some OEM replacement fuses for my Symphonic Line RG1MK3 power amp, and they were ~$10 per fuse...filled with sand, or some fire-retardant material, AND, I had to order then from "the continent".
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon