Pro Tips...

I'll start -

Pro Tip - Napping
If you want to nap while the kids are at home, just say, "Wake me up in 30 minutes so we can clean the house". They will literally do anything to avoid waking you.

Pro Tip - Wife busts you with a new Audio Toy
Asks you where you got it. Your response? "This ol' thing?". Only works if you have gear stashed around the house.

What is your Pro Tip?
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    edited January 2020
    When I told my wife I was going to audition my Salks , she wanted to know how “big” they were ....
    When I came home with them , she was pissed that they were “big” .... I told her they were “smaller” than the 1c’s .....

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    When my wife said you have too many speakers. Then I said let's buy a bigger house. Wrong answer. Now she is my exwife. LMAO
    Randy/Maine
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    When I wanted to upgrade the turbo on my VW, I loosened the charge pipe coupler and hit full boost on the highway. One harmless KABOOM later and I was allowed to buy a "replacement turbo". I let AAA tow it to the house.

• halen
    halen Posts: 675
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    When I bought my Dyn C4’s $24k speakers. I had them shipped to Halen’s. I debuted them at LSAF.

I took my $4.5k Usher speakers to LSAF and sold them. Came home with the Dyns and a check told the wife a did a sale and trade

She never new the difference 😎

Ahem. And the Sim Moon DAC that was like $15,000 or something? The Usher Mini Dancers? The Pass Labs? The Modwright? Lol

Gawd those where good times. Keeping my baby girl away from all of it too. Haha. I think I have a picture, some years ago.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Quick search. Couldn’t find her on the tube amps but this will do.

iid2723a6hri.jpeg
    u6lqmlsyw1l0.jpeg
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    CH46E wrote: »
    When I wanted to upgrade the turbo on my VW, I loosened the charge pipe coupler and hit full boost on the highway. One harmless KABOOM later and I was allowed to buy a "replacement turbo". I let AAA tow it to the house.

Next remove the fuel pump relay. BAM! New Walbro 450.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Nightfall wrote: »
    CH46E wrote: »

Next remove the fuel pump relay. BAM! New Walbro 450.

Lol. I did not need that much fuel! I went up to Audi TT 225 injectors and the fuel pump was sufficient with a (IIRC) 4 bar FPR.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Pro Tip -

When your wife complains that there are bugs on her windshield? Tell her that fresh bugs are on back order.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    So what I'm gathering is don't have kids or a wife and you can do whatever you want.
    Pro tip: find a partner that appreciates audio.

Alternate pro tip: We all buy "dumb" stuff. Support her dumb purchases.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Some great stories/tips here. I played this game with my S.O. for several years.

I would go "Hunting" to actually pick up some SDA's or whatever. Sellers would look at me kinda funny when I would arrive wearing full Camo :#

When arriving home I would sneak whatever into the basement via a lower entrance into the house, this is were the Gun Safe was located as well.

Later on, my wife came up with the idea to start separate Bank Accounts, she would deposit X amount of money into each account every month (my wife is an Accountant/General Manager by profession).

We call this our "Stash" neither one of us can question what or why the other one purchases out of these accounts.

It's worked very well, I can buy an $800. pair of Wires if I want to, without any of those "looks".

The only downside is that my Stash usually has a balance of couple of hundred bucks, and the wife has enough in her Stash to buy a new car if she cared to...
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Pro tip: posting threads in the correct sub-forums. ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    That was a Vanilla error. I posted it in the Clubhouse but this got redirected to Vintage Speakers. As soon as I noticed it, I sent a report to the admin's. To date, it has not been moved yet. It is what it is.

Pro-Tip -

Don't ever use Vanilla for a forum.

Tom
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    So what I'm gathering is don't have kids or a wife and you can do whatever you want.
    Pro tip: find a partner that appreciates audio.

Alternate pro tip: We all buy "dumb" stuff. Support her dumb purchases.

You can find someone who appreciates audio. But why marry them? >:)
  • displayname
    Later on, my wife came up with the idea to start separate Bank Accounts, she would deposit X amount of money into each account every month (my wife is an Accountant/General Manager by profession).
    My fiancé and I discussed this same system. She has an addiction to fancy rugs and art, so I think it will work out pretty nicely. I certainly don't want to know or discuss the price tag of every rug that shows up.

Discogs
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    My fiancé and I discussed this same system. She has an addiction to fancy rugs and art, so I think it will work out pretty nicely. I certainly don't want to know or discuss the price tag of every rug that shows up.

Seems like an arrangement that will only work with a childless relationship??? Maybe not but I think it would be more difficult...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • displayname
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Seems like an arrangement that will only work with a childless relationship??? Maybe not but I think it would be more difficult...

I think it all depends on the people involved. Not one solution/strategy will work for everyone. But it's not like you're evenly splitting all the money necessarily. You could still have a joint fund for all the kid/house/family related expenses. Your "allowance" accounts are for your fun purchases and savings. But there are plenty of things that can go wrong with it. Like if one spouse were to start spending all of their allowance money on blow and ladies of the night... probably wouldn't go over well.

I could also be totally wrong. It sounds logical, but we'll find out if it works for us.
    Discogs
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    my wife has quilting/sewing equipment that costs more than some of my stereo gear so we don't discuss the cost of each other's gear :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    My wife literally travels around the world birding -- we have a good quid pro quo kinda thing going, I would say.

:)

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314

This setup works for us. But, in our house there's no my money, your money, it's our money. With the exception of the "Stash" that's our Mad Money :D