Upgrade fever kicking in

Hey guys. New to the forum. My current setup is Bowers & Wilkins 683 S2 towers with a matching htm61 s2 center channel. Powered by an Onkyo Rz830. I love this setup but I’ve got the upgrade bug!

I’m looking at the Polk Lsim 705 speakers. Does anyone have experience with my speaker and the Lsim series? How would they compare to one another? I prefer music/movies 50/50. I know sound is subjective. Would the Lsim be an upgrade compared to B&W 600 series? Or should i just leave what i have alone? I’ve had the Rti A7s before and loved them!

Even though this is a Polk forum I’d like everyone’s input of Polk or others vs my setup.

Thanks!

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Personally I would purchase a dedicated external three channel amplifier and use that to power your front stage, instead of the Onkyo.

In my opinion this would result in more gains than switching out your speakers.

Welcome to the forum, stay a while!
  • Zo_So
    Zo_So Posts: 9
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Personally I would purchase a dedicated external three channel amplifier and use that to power your front stage, instead of the Onkyo.

In my opinion this would result in more gains than switching out your speakers.

Welcome to the forum, stay a while!

I have the Monolith 3x200 on my radar! Adding one of those would add better sound to my current system? I’ve heard people say it but never actually tried it myself.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    As someone who can't stand the sound of B&W speakers feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt. Since you like them and liked the stock RTiA7's I'm not sure you'd like the more natural sound of the LSiM's. On the other hand your ears may be maturing and the 705's could be just the ticket. Bottom line, they will sound very different than what you've been used to.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Zo_So
    F1nut wrote: »
    As someone who can't stand the sound of B&W speakers feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt. Since you like them and liked the stock RTiA7's I'm not sure you'd like the more natural sound of the LSiM's. On the other hand your ears may be maturing and the 705's could be just the ticket. Bottom line, they will sound very different than what you've been used to.

The rti reminded me my current towers with less bass and midrange. At least to my ears. The Lsim has sparked my interest (visuals, specs, and positive feedback.) Price is half of ATM, so that’s another positive mark.

How do Lsim differ from B&W? You say you don’t like them. What about them don’t you like or prefer?
  • F1nut
    edited January 2020
    I find B&W speakers non-musical, lacking emotion. The LSiM's have more of those qualities. For the record, my opinion has nothing to do with this being Polk's forum. I'd say the same if we were on another forum.

Edit: out of all the LSiM's I preferred the 705's by a good margin.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Zo_So
    edited January 2020
    F1nut wrote: »
    I find B&W speakers non-musical, lacking emotion. The LSiM's have more of those qualities. For the record, my opinion has nothing to do with this being Polk's forum. I'd say the same if we were on another forum.

I plan on also purchasing a Monolith 3x200 for the front 3. Would that be enough for them if i decide to keep them? Have you hear anything better than the Lsim series?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Zo_So wrote: »
    I have the Monolith 3x200 on my radar! Adding one of those would add better sound to my current system? I’ve heard people say it but never actually tried it myself.

I don't personally have any experience with Monoprice's Monolith amps, but if I were in your shoes I would try to save up for a Parasound instead: https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA31
  • F1nut
    edited January 2020
    Ha, you're asking the wrong guy about any of the Monoprice products.

President of Club Polk

• Zo_So
    Zo_So wrote: »

I don't personally have any experience with Monoprice's Monolith amps, but if I were in your shoes I would try to save up for a Parasound instead: https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA31

Wow. That’s a very nice amp. Not sure if i can force myself to spend that kind of scratch on one🤷🏻‍♂️

I think Monolith is made by ATI. Could be wrong. Don’t know much about ATI if they do build them.
  • Zo_So

3 of those would be right around my price range!
    Specs look pretty good too.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Start by saying I’ve never owned B&W speakers, but have listened to them quite a few times. I preferred other manufacturers sound over the B&W sound, and will just leave it there.

Years ago I demoed to the RTI A5’s, A7’s, And A9’s running ona upper mid range Denon AVR, don’t remember the model number. I preferred the A5’s due to better mid range response. Didn’t know at the time that the A7’s and A9’s were drastically under powered which greatly compromised the bass/midrange response.

Currently running the LSIM 705’s. When I first bought them, I was running them on a Yamaha RX A20xx series AVR. I liked them much better for music than I did the RTI A5’s, but preferred the A5’s for HT, so I added an amp to the front 3. Figured that it couldn’t hurt, and if it didn’t improve anything could just sell the amp.

Well let’s just say my cousin, like a great many women, didn’t understand why I was “wasting” so much money on electronics until then. Everything on the front sound stage improved so much that I came home one day and found her using the wand attachment on the carpeting around the stand and front speakers.

Was working a lot of hours, and was getting behind on house cleaning and she decided that I needed a little help. During the conversation she said she didn’t know what I did, but that she wasn’t touching anything on my system, because she didn’t want to mess anything up.

Don’t get me wrong she still thinks it’s completely ugly, would never allow something like that in her home, but comes up to watch a few movies a week. She doesn’t own a sound bar, if that’s any indication how low of a priority this hobby is on her list.

The improvement on the music side, which is more important to me, was even greater. I still prefer the RTI A5’s for home theater, but music is a higher priority to me.

Just my long winded way of agreeing with Clipdat. I think that your speakers need some good clean power to see what they can really do. Maybe look for a used amp, to see if you hear an improvement. A two channel amp will give you an idea, even with a 5.1 system while watching a movie. If your running more speakers, there will be a bigger improvement.
  • Zo_So
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Start by saying I’ve never owned B&W speakers, but have listened to them quite a few times. I preferred other manufacturers sound over the B&W sound, and will just leave it there.

Years ago I demoed to the RTI A5’s, A7’s, And A9’s running ona upper mid range Denon AVR, don’t remember the model number. I preferred the A5’s due to better mid range response. Didn’t know at the time that the A7’s and A9’s were drastically under powered which greatly compromised the bass/midrange response.

Currently running the LSIM 705’s. When I first bought them, I was running them on a Yamaha RX A20xx series AVR. I liked them much better for music than I did the RTI A5’s, but preferred the A5’s for HT, so I added an amp to the front 3. Figured that it couldn’t hurt, and if it didn’t improve anything could just sell the amp.

Well let’s just say my cousin, like a great many women, didn’t understand why I was “wasting” so much money on electronics until then. Everything on the front sound stage improved so much that I came home one day and found her using the wand attachment on the carpeting around the stand and front speakers.

Was working a lot of hours, and was getting behind on house cleaning and she decided that I needed a little help. During the conversation she said she didn’t know what I did, but that she wasn’t touching anything on my system, because she didn’t want to mess anything up.

Don’t get me wrong she still thinks it’s completely ugly, would never allow something like that in her home, but comes up to watch a few movies a week. She doesn’t own a sound bar, if that’s any indication how low of a priority this hobby is on her list.

The improvement on the music side, which is more important to me, was even greater. I still prefer the RTI A5’s for home theater, but music is a higher priority to me.

Just my long winded way of agreeing with Clipdat. I think that your speakers need some good clean power to see what they can really do. Maybe look for a used amp, to see if you hear an improvement. A two channel amp will give you an idea, even with a 5.1 system while watching a movie. If your running more speakers, there will be a bigger improvement.

I just may try the amp first. I’m heavily eying 3 outlaw 2200s atm
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I got so many LSiM's that I don't have room for a wife. I hope this helps. Seriously love em for HT and I got some 707's dialed in that they do music good. What was your question?
  • Zo_So
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I got so many LSiM's that I don't have room for a wife. I hope this helps. Seriously love em for HT and I got some 707's dialed in that they do music good. What was your question?

Basically if anyone had my series of B&W and the Lsim line and directly compared both side by side.

Like I’ve said before, I’ve owned the Rti A7 and loved them. I’d assume I’d like the Lsim better overall.

I can relate to the wife comment lol!
  • Muchieman
    Muchieman Posts: 204
    Love my RTi-a5’s! for both music and HT!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I've never owned or even auditioned any of the B&W speakers (not a knock against them, it just hasn't happened). I did own the LSiM 705 speakers though. If the B&W speakers are brighter than the LSiM's you may want to look into the Polk Signature Series speakers. The S60's are quite nice and may be closer to what your ears are accustomed to hearing. If you don't like them, you can always return them. FWIW, I did have my S60's paired to a separate 2-channel amp (McCormack DNA-125) and a dedicated stereo preamp (Cary Audio CPA-1). If I'd had a more "forward" sounding amp/preamp, I probably would have kept the LSiM 705's.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Zo_So
    halo wrote: »
    I've never owned or even auditioned any of the B&W speakers (not a knock against them, it just hasn't happened). I did own the LSiM 705 speakers though. If the B&W speakers are brighter than the LSiM's you may want to look into the Polk Signature Series speakers. The S60's are quite nice and may be closer to what your ears are accustomed to hearing. If you don't like them, you can always return them. FWIW, I did have my S60's paired to a separate 2-channel amp (McCormack DNA-125) and a dedicated stereo preamp (Cary Audio CPA-1). If I'd had a more "forward" sounding amp/preamp, I probably would have kept the LSiM 705's.

I actually auditioned the 705’s recently and they just don’t compare to B&W. They definitely lack upper air/detail that the B&W posses. Polk was too soft to my ears. I actually prefer the boosted treble of the RtiA7’s.

Although; the B&W have that airy/detailed treble, in no way is it forward or harsh. Very smooth. I’m glad I got the chance to compare. I’ve purchased a Monolith 3 channel amp (built by ATI in the USA) and it’s just fantastic. Much better than just using my receiver. I used it to power both B&W and Lsim. That’s when my upgrade fever went away and decided to stick with B&W. If i do upgrade it’ll be to the 7 or 800 series B&W.

Just my opinion between them.