Could you please suggest some rear speakers and center channel upgrade

Have a couple questions that I could use you help on please. Watch tv/movies 90%, music 10%. Current equipment is Yamaha RX-V867, Polk Monitor 60 (series ii) fronts, and Polk CS1 (series ii) center.

#1- I want to add 2 rears, but the wife wants them on a shelf that limits me to 10” high, would the Polk S10 be my best option for rears under 10”? If not, any other suggestion?

#2- I feel like I could use an upgrade at the center channel. I currently have a CS1, what would you guys recommend? Finding a used CS2, a newer model like S30, CSI A4, CSI A6? Something else?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Get the S10’s and the S30

Generally timber matching the front 3 speakers is recommended, but I’d take as an opportunity to build toward having a complete Signature series system in the future
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Honestly I don't think timbre matching is all that important for surrounds. I have the def tech pm800s, and they sound MUCH bigger than they are and would fit that space. They come up on ebay regularly. As for the center, it depends on your goals. The monitor series is a nice budget option but both the RTi/A and sig series will crush them. But if you want to keep those towers long term, I would say just go for either a CS2 or find a used rt400i, which is a MUCH better center, and will be pretty close to the monitor's timbre.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Thank you both for the reply. I guess I need to decide if I want to upgrade the fronts with the center or add a second sub to go with my hsu stf-2, don’t have the budget for both currently. Appreciate the tip on the pm800s.
  • rooftop59
    Just to clarify, they are promonitor 800s...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Go for the S10 nice little surround speaker.

After those upgrade the sub. STF2 is nice but if your doing 90% movies bigger sub like a VTF2 would be great.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren wrote: »

After those upgrade the sub. STF2 is nice but if your doing 90% movies bigger sub like a VTF2 would be great.

Upgrade sub or just add a second?
  • txcoastal1
    Upgrade
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• rooftop59
    mrloren wrote: »

Upgrade sub or just add a second?

A bigger sub from HSU has significantly more output than two of the smaller subs. Sell the one you have and upgrade if you want an improvement.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • detroit_fan
    detroit_fan Posts: 5
    edited January 2020
    I really appreciate the help. So thinking of going with the s30 center, s10 surrounds, and upgrade the HSU. Out of curiosity, how do my monitor 60’s compare to the s50 or s55? Would it be a significant upgrade over my current monitors? If so, would you recommend the s50 or s55 in my case? Would my current avr (Yamaha rv-v867) be able to power them? Room is 12x20 if that helps at.
  • txcoastal1
    S50 with sub

• txcoastal1
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Honestly I don't think timbre matching is all that important for surrounds. I have the def tech pm800s, and they sound MUCH bigger than they are and would fit that space. They come up on ebay regularly. As for the center, it depends on your goals. The monitor series is a nice budget option but both the RTi/A and sig series will crush them. But if you want to keep those towers long term, I would say just go for either a CS2 or find a used rt400i, which is a MUCH better center, and will be pretty close to the monitor's timbre.

Read above

• txcoastal1 wrote: »
    S50 with sub

My avr ok to power them? Significant upgrade for me? Sorry to ask, it’s a lot of money for me

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    You can get by with the Yamaha for now but I would plan an upgrade to something with more power later. More power is always better as it gives you flexibility to buy better speakers and power then without running out of gas. But you don't have to over due it. It's not always about maxed out power and filling the room to reference levels with ease as most of us NEVER listen that loud.
    I'm guilty of this so learn from my mistakes.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I googled your AVR, it shows to have pre-out's. If so you can always add an amp down the road. I had a Emotiva BasX-A300 that drove my S60 very nice.

Add surrounds

Get a bigger sub, always nice to be able to feel the low end. Dual VTF-2 would be nice. I still use an STF2 in my bedroom HT. great small sub for a small room.

Change L/R/C to S55 and S30

Add amp, Look on the used market first new Emotiva or monolith

Done with upgrade
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited January 2020
    mrloren wrote: »

Upgrade* sub or just add a second?
    Regardless of what you decide, how big is your space? Open floor plan or compartmentalized? Either way follow their advice on what** to buy*. However, I’d retain your existing sub to (eventually) sell to help pay for another of whatever you settle upon. Others may chime in here w/an SVS.
    **I can’t advise what for commercial subs.

Enjoy! Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work