Neil Peart dead at 67?

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Very sad news.....so bummed about this loss.

Bonham, Mitchell, Peart my GOAT drummers.

RIP

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    edited January 2020
    Very sad news. As a drummer, I've always considered him among the best ever. He really drove Rush in so many ways. May he rest in peace. I'll be watching this video for about the 100th time later this evening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSToKcbWz1k
    Post edited by Jaybeez on
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    ugh. goes with the territory
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    What a shock.. RIP
    Randy/Maine
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    Very sad to hear. RIP, Neil. So it goes.
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • heiney9
    I recently watched a Youtube video Neil Peart a work in progress. Fascinating to say the least. Before Test For Echo Neil took time off to completely reinvent his playing. Even more poignant today.

Highly recommend you watch. It takes a special kind of person who has been super successful to stop and realize he can still learn and reinvent himself just because he wanted to.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited January 2020
    Yep I have seen that as well Brock. He went and took lessons from someone who I can't remember but the guy was 80 some yrs. if I remember correctly.

Lyric:
    My eyes have been opened and they're open very wide.

Lyric:
    The whiteness of confusion is unfolding from my mind

I stand around and wonder
    Have I left my life behind
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I recently watched a Youtube video Neil Peart a work in progress. Fascinating to say the least. Before Test For Echo Neil took time off to completely reinvent his playing. Even more poignant today.

Highly recommend you watch. It takes a special kind of person who has been super successful to stop and realize he can still learn and reinvent himself just because he wanted to.

H9

Do you have the link? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I think it's on Netflix. Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • PeteB77
    PeteB77 Posts: 15
    RIP . . .
    Monitor Series RTA 8T Restored, Technics 1210, Xindak Pre/power amps
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited January 2020
    2112...great musician....
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    butterbean wrote: »
    The teacher that Neil Peart went to in the 90s was a guy by the name Freddy Gruber, and old-school drummer/teacher. What spurred him onto that was he produced a recording of big band music entitled Burning for Buddy. He lined up Buddy Rich’s. Band and a veritable Who’s Who of drummers! It has some amazing music in there if you love drums check it outhxq7xvaph4ak.jpeg
    am2200y4cc3v.jpeg

Very cool. Thanks!
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    He is at all of that Peace now. Loved and remembered always. Let them eat cake. RIP Neil P.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Just checked, I have it on my HD. Thanks THJ!....lol
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Arguably the best drummer who ever lived. His mark on the music world will go on forever. He was one of my very favorite drummers and his knowledge of the instrument is flat out fascinating. He will truly be missed and I hope he is in a better place with his drums and soul of music.
    I'm sad to hear that he passed but I'm glad on another level that he is not suffering anymore.
    RIP and ROCK ON!
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Put on Caress of Steel and for so many reasons I can't listen without 😢 crying . I was there at the St. Paul civic Center to witness the live show of this album and then some. What a huge impact the group made on me. Not an easy loss this one is.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Listening to them now. I was at a loss of words yesterday and I'm about at the same point today. RIP buddy and Godspeed to ya'. Thanks for some really great music through the years.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Whether you were a fan of Rush or not, no one can ever deny his talent. Truly one of the greatest of all time! R.I.P.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • heiney9
    verb wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »

H9

Do you have the link? :smile:

https://youtu.be/4HLD5lxrQV4

This is what I copied from Youtube. If it doesn't work. Google Neil Peart A Work in Progress.

I guess I didn't make it clear that was the title of the video

H9

P.s It's 2 hours long so I watched on my TV rather than on my computer.
  • verb
    Thank you!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited January 2020
    Credit to my good friend Ron at Liquid Hi-Fi for this one...

http://www.liquidhifi.com/products/

og0i7qbnzuud.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    For now RIP stands for Rush In Power...
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2020
    Local radio station played side 1 of 2112 in its entirety uninterrupted....
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Rip not only an amazing drummer, he also wrote majority of their songs.
  • pitdogg2
    Nice read Doc, Thanks for sharing
  • verb
    Thanks Doc!

Interesting link here. Shows in detail a chronology of Neil's kits over the years!
    hmj8lotiiu8s.png
    http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/drums/drumkits/drums_history.htm
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Amazing drummer and a brilliant, humble man based on everything I've ever read about him. He was not only my favorite drummers, but one of my favorite artists.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden