3D printed SRS Badge

mzisman4
mzisman4 Posts: 10
edited January 2020 in Vintage Speakers
I'm a long time lurker and finally have something worth sharing.

I picked up a set of SRS 2.3 that were missing one of the grill labels. I haven't seen any on eBay so I decided to design and print a placeholder. Pictured example was done in PLA with a 0.3 nozzle.

update: The contrast of the gold was too noticable. One light pass of espresso stain (pen) and wipe immediately dampened the color enought that I cannot tell the difference from my regular listening spot. Still planning to print at 0.2 to clean up the details
m4dqr564j1b8.jpg

qwp47m9go6l8.jpg
ai1k6qb4amz9.jpg

With 0.4, the SDA words were illegible. I plan to print with 0.2 once more filament comes in. The gold is too bright so I'm also planning to source a more bronzed metallic filament.

Thingiverse link is coming soon.
Post edited by mzisman4 on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    What are you posting a link to???
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    F1nut wrote: »

To the badge information.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    vmaxer wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

To the badge information.

Ok, checking it wasn't yet another spam link.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Cool stuff @mzisman4 ! Post some more pics once the thinner filament comes in!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I’ve been wanting to get the badges for my 1.2tl’s re-done for a while. I was thinking of going opposite the oem color scheme and have them be solid polished brass with black writing/engraving... just haven’t found a place to do it yet, although I haven’t been trying hard to be honest.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    I’ve been wanting to get the badges for my 1.2tl’s re-done for a while. I was thinking of going opposite the oem color scheme and have them be solid polished brass with black writing/engraving... just haven’t found a place to do it yet, although I haven’t been trying hard to be honest.

@Toolfan66 Larry didn't you have some custom badges made? IIRC :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    mzisman4 wrote: »
    I'm a long time lurker and finally have something worth sharing.

I picked up a set of SRS 2.3 that were missing one of the grill labels. I haven't seen any on eBay so I decided to design and print a placeholder. Pictured example was done in PLA with a 0.3 nozzle.

update: The contrast of the gold was too noticable. One light pass of espresso stain (pen) and wipe immediately dampened the color enought that I cannot tell the difference from my regular listening spot. Still planning to print at 0.2 to clean up the details
    m4dqr564j1b8.jpg

qwp47m9go6l8.jpg
    ai1k6qb4amz9.jpg

With 0.4, the SDA words were illegible. I plan to print with 0.2 once more filament comes in. The gold is too bright so I'm also planning to source a more bronzed metallic filament.

Thingiverse link is coming soon.

3D printing is very cool technology! I did a favor for a friend some time ago and in return he printed me some spike cups for my speaker stands (at 50% fill).

8d4xx5cx6lin.jpg

1arccv7ajzr1.jpg

Very cool, keep posting your updates as you progress.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • @RobbyKY That sounds like I great idea but it's pretty far outside my comfort zone. I went with 3D printing because it's what I have and it seemed like a reasonable project. Not quite ready to jump into a new rabbit hole!

I think my little 3D printer is nearing it's limits in terms of resolution somewhere around .3mm and .2mm. I'm playing with a few more settings but the benefits of the smaller nozzle were negligible at best the first time around.