Black Walnuts

After YEARS of picking them up or just mowing over the damn things, I decided to try and harvest some black walnuts and was wondering how long you can keep them in the shell before you crack open the shells.

They've been husked, washed and have been stored them in a garage drying out on some wire mesh sitting on saw horses since November.

Cracked a few last night and they were really tasty.

Just curious if anyone might have some tips to this?

Thanks
David

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,180
    I have some black walnut trees that finally started producing big time. I worked my butt off harvesting them and cleaning them last year. This year just threw them all behind my garage in the wood and let the squirrels get the rest. They fall on my deck and stain it with their iodine so that's a problem. Very difficult to open and get the meat out but yes, I did feel they were tasty, if a bit medicinal tasting. I made a batch of black walnut tincture in vodka, but haven't used any myself. Hopefully it keeps a long time. All my walnuts are dried and sitting in ziploc bags in my basement. I had a friend take a bunch of them who makes jewelry and wanted to try the shells as a media for polishing the jewelry but it was too much work to crack them and get the pieces the right size prior to polishing. These things are hard work!!!!
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    Good and interesting question.
    All I know is that shelled nuts can go rancid.

Hey, check this out - freeze your nuts to keep them fresh and tasting good.
    https://www.eatbydate.com/proteins/nuts/how-long-do-nuts-last-shelf-life-expiration-date/

Not quite sure I believe the bit about shelled bits lasting longer than those in the shell, but then again, it could be like how tomato stems allow a tomato to continue to ripen? Was just thinking in terms of what nature intends...
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    Using walnut media to polish brass for reloading I can definitely state it is very good yet very harsh on the brass. I would only use it if the brass was very filthy and discolored. Corncob media is much better and shines the brass to like new where the walnut would give it a very dull mat finish. I sure wouldn't want to use on jewelry.

Walnut are the only nut I'm allergic to. Nothing deadly just swells up my uvula to make me sound like I'm gargling. 😉
  • Gardenstater
    Nuts in general, are very inflammatory for me. It's due to the high Omega6 content. Macadamias are ok, but very expensive. Hazlenuts are very good but Aldi's stopped carrying them it seems.

Walnut shells (not sure if they use English or Black) are used with a bolt on machine to scour out intake deposits on the valves of engines, so I think it is very much on the highly abrasive side (as you say), because that's what needed for those carbon deposits. Thanks for the info on corn cob and I'll pass that on to my friend the jewelery maker.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Swells up your uvula ?

.........uhm.............

I, uh...... well.........
    Sal Palooza
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Using walnut media to polish brass for reloading I can definitely state it is very good yet very harsh on the brass. I would only use it if the brass was very filthy and discolored. Corncob media is much better and shines the brass to like new where the walnut would give it a very dull mat finish. I sure wouldn't want to use on jewelry.

Walnut are the only nut I'm allergic to. Nothing deadly just swells up my uvula to make me sound like I'm gargling. 😉
    Gross, Ivan, I don't wanna hear about your Friday nights.

I disabled signatures.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    I crack them in a vise. It's not that bad.

I did read this morning that black walnuts can stay in the shell for up to a year before cracking.

Just curious if anyone who's harvested them, how long they let them stay in the shell?

They do have a stronger flavor than English walnuts for sure.

Just something to do waiting for spring to get here.
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2020
    If a year is the limit, without freezing, then mine that I have in my basement may be gone already. Maybe I'll make some winter North American Tree Rats happy and start throwing them out next time it snows.

I too used my vice, however that was just the beginning of the battle because the pieces of nut required picking out of the crevices. I used an O'ring pick.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    If a year is the limit, without freezing, then mine that I have in my basement may be gone already. Maybe I'll make some winter North American Tree Rats happy and start throwing them out next time it snows.

I too used my vice, however that was just the beginning of the battle because the pieces of nut required picking out of the crevices. I used an O'ring pick.

Sounds like Autozone is the place to go for walnut supplies!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    My mother used to make us kids harvest black walnuts. We'd step on them to remove the hulls then leave them in a cool dark corner in the basement to cure. It'd take a week for the stain to wear off our fingers. Good memories. We would leave them in the shell until some snowy day before Christmas, then sit on the concrete basement floor for hours cracking them and picking out the meat. Any left over after Christmas cookies and fudge would be wrapped up in aluminum foil and stored in the deep freezer.

As for how long they would keep in the shell? They would slowly dry out and age. They need to be stored in a cool place but I remember fresh out of the tree they were not very good. Over time they would dry out and the flavor would concentrate and making them easier to remove the meat.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • oldrocker
    audioluvr wrote: »
    My mother used to make us kids harvest black walnuts. We'd step on them to remove the hulls then leave them in a cool dark corner in the basement to cure. It'd take a week for the stain to wear off our fingers. Good memories. We would leave them in the shell until some snowy day before Christmas, then sit on the concrete basement floor for hours cracking them and picking out the meat. Any left over after Christmas cookies and fudge would be wrapped up in aluminum foil and stored in the deep freezer.

As for how long they would keep in the shell? They would slowly dry out and age. They need to be stored in a cool place but I remember fresh out of the tree they were not very good. Over time they would dry out and the flavor would concentrate and making them easier to remove the meat.

Recently found my Dads homemade fudge recipe, never made it myself but will try and add some of the walnuts to it.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,001
    My father used to put them on a piece of cardboard,and set them on the heat ducts in the basement for a while to let them cure. Years later,he stopped doing that,and started shooting the squirrels with his pellet gun.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    msg wrote: »

Hey, check this out - freeze your nuts to keep them fresh and tasting good.
    They have an ointment for that Scott.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

TMI Ivan...TMI

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Dang Ivan I had to look up the word Uvula. Mental image of Ivan with a swollen Uvula, yuk. Thanks for that. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • oldrocker
    Puttering in the garage this morning, I found one walnut from 2020 sitting on a shelf.

Yep, cracked it and ate it. :o

Excellent flavor, not that harsh overpowering taste they usually have.