Fur collar for my whizzers !

I'd seen this mod done before in pictures and now that I'm snowed in for a day or so, I decided to try it out.
I laid both of my Tannoy/Dayton full rangers side by side and then treated one whizzer with a twisted up piece of dacron fiberfill, gently stuffed behind the whizzer's cone.
It's supposed to dampen the movement somewhat and diffuse the back waves off of the whizzer from bouncing off the speaker cone.
I ran the tip of my finger lightly across the edge of the treated whizzer, listening to to see how much it differed from the untreated speaker.
There was an audible, less tinny sound, so I did up the other speaker and gave them a listen.
All I can say is WOW !
I used to have to set my Marantz's mid tone control back a bit to tame the HONK, but now have the amp on Pure Direct mode.........and it sounds great !
The nice thing is that it's totally reversible, with no permant mods to the speaker.

5xu0bieamkdf.jpg

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    I need to give this a try. My whizzer has been a bit chilly of late.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    ahh, the ol' '98 cent Lowther tweak' :) from Mark Wauters.
    It can help a shouty driver (like a Lowther) -- better to go with a non-shouty driver in the first place, though, methinks.

• It really makes sense having something to break up the rear waves off of the whizzer, while slightly dampening excess vibrations.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I thought you found a girlfriend...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Polkaguy58
    Polkaguy58 Posts: 352
    edited January 2020
    Here's a new upgrade whizzer mute that I made from a foam port bung.
    I used an electric knife to slice a couple 1/4" thick circles and then poked a pair of Fiskars through the center and cut out a donut hole.
    Then I slipped them over the whizzers, like mounting a motorcycle tire, sliding one side under and working the rest around the rim.
    They work great !

4pr1yypj97hu.jpg
    63djvsefw1h2.jpg
    3h0gdcohcq3j.jpg
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    edited May 2020
    How's this mod holding up? I like your idea and want to try this on my phase-plug modded 6502's to cover up the voice coil leads and clean up the final looks.
    Is there an aftermarket item similar to what you did?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Polkaguy58
    Polkaguy58 Posts: 352
    It's held up just fine.
    All I did was use an electric knife to slice two pieces off of those cylinder foam bungs that come with some speakers to block the ports.
    After that, I poked a pair of scissors through the middle and cut out the center, leaving a ring.
    Stretch the ring over the whizzer cone and it seats itself.
    It makes a lot of sense, as the foam keeps sound from emitting from the back of the cone and bouncing off the speaker, while damping any excess vibration from the whizzer.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited July 2020
    @ anybody. Do you have another name or a better description for that foam? I want to put SOMETHING* around my tweets to control diffraction
    * no actual contact
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/editor/lj/u7sbh2yc8wl2.jpg

Thanks Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2020
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    @ anybody. Do you have another name or a better description for that foam? I want to put SOMETHING* around my tweets to control diffraction
    * no actual contact

Thanks Tony

"No actual contact" won't work for the whizzer mod described in this thread. The contact is mission critical, as the fur, cotton, wool, or foam is damping resonances (or something like that) in the parasitic cone.

For diffraction, you can cut a thin piece of foam to fit around the tweeter dome (if it's a dome tweeter) -- this was all the rage in the late '70s. The foam folks use to make replacement 'socks' for DCM timewindows would work well. It is a stock product available from McMaster-Carr (or at least it was).

As I recall, Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook describes making concentric circles of foam to improve (i.e., minimize) diffraction. That was popular in the old days for a while, too.

• gp4jesus
    edited July 2020
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    * no actual contact

Thanks Tony
    I forgot to mention I hope the foam will soften these tweets* tendency to squeak. Please click on the pic link** to see it’s a your typical Polk soft dome. I’ll checkout your advice/sources. Polk forum members are the best 😊
    *RTi/RTi A series
    ** if it works

Many thanks, Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    RtiA line is notoriously bright. Be interesting to see what you come up with to tame them.
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2020
    I mean, the brightness of the (in)famous Yamaha NS-10M studio monitors was famously often tamed with some tissue paper. B)

https://www.bobhodas.com/examining-the-yamaha-ns-10m.php

EDIT: Heh: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/acoustic-damping/dampers-felt-defraction-ring-for-tweeters/

• mhardy6647
    so, I am drawing a blank for the precise 'recipe' I am remebering :( so I will have to look at some actual, physical books. Pity me. ;)

meanwhile, this might be of interest, @gp4jesus
    https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=speakers&m=315155

lbacqz5tatzo.png
  • gp4jesus
    edited July 2020
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    SPOT ON Mr Hardy! While I’ll hafta cut out a crescent to clear the mid on my towers and two for my Center, YES that’s it.

Now where to buy?
    DaveHo wrote: »
    RtiA line is notoriously bright.
    I’ve “heard” the RTi line is brighter still!
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Be interesting to see [hear] what you come up with to tame them.
    YUP! Know that I firmly believe at least “half” of the “squeak” comes from the CHEAP Polk XO filtering. That said as, except for a ClarityCap PX blocking cap, my LCR* tweets have zero filtering and still need a little DSP to tame, though a lot less compared to my un-modded surrounds
    * tri-amped

We’ll see Thanks

Tony