DIY Audio Rack

hochpt21
hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
edited December 2019 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I am far from an experienced craftsman, but I’ve really wanted to try my hand at one of these flexible racks for quite some time.

I used 3/4” white pine plywood, 3/4” black oxide threaded rod, and spray painted the rest of the hardware black. Ended up using a stain/poly combo. Probably spent about 13 hours all said.

I know there are many experienced folks on here who do amazing work on projects like this, but I’m actually really happy with how it turned out!

Thanks for listening,
Paul

*****Edit...the photo uploader scrambled the order of the photos, but you get the idea.

b3031toc5imy.jpeg
2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A

Comments

• hochpt21
    p5826ebodlkc.jpeg
    8ry5lcwgero1.jpeg
    osu187xvww1v.jpeg
    s6u67asng2bl.jpeg
    pqowz89m73k5.jpeg
    gh4uppecg93g.jpeg
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    dqcho86k7p05.jpeg
    kcnivd6gstq1.jpeg
    dweqdp76jwhr.jpeg
    nbtsquq6ccsf.jpeg
    tqrbrhhwu3cp.jpeg
    rpiij4jdgsjk.jpeg
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Dag, Paul, that turned out great!
    I've been wanting to build one of these for a while, too.

Where did you source the hardware and wood? Big box store?

Where did you use the filler?

What grade ply is that? Was it just the nicer sheet stuff, or a woodworking grade of some sort? I haven't done any sort of woodwork before, so I don't know where one gets material and what is appropriate to use.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited December 2019
    The best part of a Flexi style Rack is the you can design and build about any configuration you want/need.

Nice Work!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Where’d you get the black paint? >:) Really nice. 33 1/3.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I like it!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Very nice job. Well done.
    Now where do I place my order?
  • hochpt21
    msg wrote: »
    Dag, Paul, that turned out great!
    I've been wanting to build one of these for a while, too.

Where did you source the hardware and wood? Big box store?

Where did you use the filler?

What grade ply is that? Was it just the nicer sheet stuff, or a woodworking grade of some sort? I haven't done any sort of woodwork before, so I don't know where one gets material and what is appropriate to use.

The plywood is from Home Depot. I went with the $35 sheet white pine. Looking back maybe opted for the $55 sheet oak.

The hardware from Amazon was FAR less expensive than HD. The threaded rod I actually found on Amazon as well. I didn’t care for the regular steel finish from HD, so I found this black oxide finish, which is actually like a dark gray/silver. I like the contrast with the black hardware and the stain.

The filler was for the nail holes that were counter sunk. And I used a little bit for the edge of a couple boards. HD ripped the boards at 19” for me, and he was a little rough with the first cut.

It was my first time doing most of this kind of stuff.
  • hochpt21
    dromunds wrote: »
    Where’d you get the black paint? >:) Really nice. 33 1/3.

I had the can of spray paint, but I don’t remember buying it. Maybe it’s magic after all?

Thanks, I replaced this with a VPI Scout in the main system, but I could happily live with the Pro-Ject. It was my first “real” turntable.
  • hochpt21
    The best part of a Flexi style Rack is the you can design and build about any configuration you want/need.

Nice Work!

Agree, I wanted something that sat low enough where I could see the table spinning. It was a fun project.

I may attempt another one for the main system which would be more of a vertical build.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Nice! Good info. I'm going to try to get one of these underway this Winter. I was thinking about a 3-bay version at one point, for use in the combo space to consolidate 2ch gear and at TV system. Not sure yet. It has to accommodate a 706 center and that speaker not be too high up, which is why I was thinking about the wider build. Need to do some maff.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Well done! It's always cool to complete a project like this and hear people say... You did that yourself?!?! Enjoy! :)
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Very nice work. I really like the whole concept of the shelving. Pretty much make it almost any size to fit your needs.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Very nice job. Looks great. Bet its heavy!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Looks great! Love the black adonized rod.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Great work! Clean (non-cluttered) setup. Very nice looking room!
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Thanks for the inspiration. I've go to do something different because my power amp is 78lbs and I don't trust it on my glass shelves.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Very nice build!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    7zjf13bqf2t3.jpeg

When I had my Cronus powering the SDA's, it was a wonderful match up. I'm positive this setup sounds very good!

• CH46E
    edited January 2020
    Is it just me or can no one click on the pictures to enlarge them? I used to be able to. Really annoying when trying to get a closer look at this awesome DIY!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Hover over photo. Right click on mouse, hit "View Image".

Continuously pressing control, and scroll in and out as desired if you want even further close ups.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    Thanks, but I'm usually on my phone rather than my PC.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    CH46E wrote: »
    Thanks, but I'm usually on my phone rather than my PC.

Android? Tap and hold the picture, open in new tab.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • CH46E
    Bingo! Thanks man!
  • CH46E
    @hochpt21 how much would you say you spent on the parts alone?
  • hochpt21
    CH46E wrote: »
    @hochpt21 how much would you say you spent on the parts alone?

$50 - Threaded rod
    $35 - Hex nuts and washers
    $40 - Wood
    $25 - Trim

Then sandpaper, braid nails, wood glue.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711

The plywood is from Home Depot. I went with the $35 sheet white pine. Looking back maybe opted for the $55 sheet oak.

Go with the birch or maple. Oak is such an ugly wood. :s
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • hochpt21
    7zjf13bqf2t3.jpeg

When I had my Cronus powering the SDA's, it was a wonderful match up. I'm positive this setup sounds very good!

I’ve only recently moved it down here. It sounds REALLY good. I do think that I’ve lost a decent amount of bass since I had the Parasound powering them however. Not sure if that’s because of the tube amp? Or maybe the bass is just tighter? I’m thinking about picking up a sub.