info on restoring 1972 BMW 2002

Options

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    Options
    @verb That car is only truly beautiful when you are in it, behind the wheel (I’m thinking of that cruisin’ event you had recently). But just look at the other cars in that image: they are as boring as a **** on the sidewalk that got stepped in.
    Alea jacta est!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Hmm Looky here, at 4;50 they pulled the plugs and added a little motor oil. :

https://youtu.be/n7EYq5S9Cs4?t=291

Also, this doesn't have the Bosch fuel injection system I thought. This one has a fuel injection pump that has a timing belt. These work great until the belt breaks. Then they strand you till it's replaced. As old as this one is you could still probably find a handy person to put fresh fuel in it for you, pull the plugs, squirt oil in the back of the cylinders and fire it up to drive it on a trailer. You will definately need to replace the fuel injection pumps drive belt along with the other stuff I mentioned in my previous post before it's road worthy but putting $21,000 into it is NOT necessary to get it running.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    The car my dad had when I was a kid that he loved was a Mercury Montego.

That has the same grille as a '71-'72 Ford LTD, which I believe matched a few different Mercury models as well.

My mother had a '71 LTD like that, which suited her pretty well. Oddly enough, she also had a 1971 Plymouth Satellite which was SO out of character for her. It looked like a musclecar. :p

fl67n5ott8ae.jpg
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Ah memories! Why Jimmy, Mom was a bit of a rebel? Love it! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Kex
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    I've owned 10 Volvo's & there are Volvo garages that charge way less than dealerships. Look around online OR word of mouth by garages in your/that area the car will be at. Do NOT bring it to a regular off the wall service station. I bet you will find BMW garages OR Foreign Auto mechanics that can be very helpful to you. It may be worth the forum also just for info. Dont get discouraged. I am on Volvo forum, but i rarely to visit. I would love to have that project. Good luck to you

This would be my approach. I would find a mechanic who restores older BMW’s. My mechanic that services my 2007 & 2008 MY vehicles does exactly that. He frequently has 1970-80 era BMW and Mercedes-Benz in his shop for work. What I love is that he knows what parts are hard to find and what parts are not, what tends to fail over time and what lasts forever. He only works on BMW, Mercedes-Benz or Mini.

I would find the mechanic that fits the bill, and get the car delivered to him. A regular flat-bed should be fine (getting the vehicle onto the bed is unlikely to cause damage). Then he can assess the car and give you an idea of what you are looking at.

Incidentally, one of my first cars ever was a European that I picked up from a driveway, not even an enclosed garage. It was covered in green mold on the outside from years of neglect. I washed it off, got it spruced up inside and out, but without doing any bodywork. It cost me less than $1K, and it ran for years until I got rear-ended at a red light. That was the end of it (completely buckled). It was one of the least expensive, and most reliable vehicles I’ve ever owned. I drove thousands of miles in it, including several cross country trips. It was new enough to have electronic ignition of some description, but otherwise still had a distributor.

I would be prepared for some expense, just in case, but IMHO this is NOT necessarily a money pit (unless you decide to redo all the bodywork etc. for aesthetics, like verb’s car above).

I also agree with @verb: those memories are priceless, and well worth it in the end.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Viking64
    Options
    verb wrote: »

Noap, she is as sweet, mellow, and timid behind the wheel as a person could ever be. She's 87 and still drives to church almost every day, though. :p
  • verb
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »

Noap, she is as sweet, mellow, and timid behind the wheel as a person could ever be. She's 87 and still drives to church almost every day, though. :p

That is so cool! Love Mrs Viking! :smile: Mom, not wife, ex-wife, whatever.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Options
    That is so cool! Love Mrs Viking! :smile: Mom, not wife, ex-wife, whatever.

HAHAHA The ex-wife was never a "Mrs.". She was always "Doctor". :p
  • verb
    Options
    So @pglbook a bit of a derail, but look at all the quick examples of how a car, no matter what make/model, will bring back all those cherished memories!

I'm sure more will come!

Bottom line, don't ever sell it! :smile:
  • Kex
    Options
    ... She's 87 and still drives to church almost every day, though. :p
    Is she attempting to atone for your sins, you rascal?! :p

Alea jacta est!
  • verb
    Options
    Kex wrote: »

Lol! Exactly! My only question to her would be - what happened to Jimmy? :smile:
  • Viking64
    Options

I don't think any human could live that long. :p
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    The car my dad had when I was a kid that he loved was a Mercury Montego. No clue on the year. One of my early vivid memories was sitting in it in my grandma's driveway which wasn't perfectly flat and putting the transmission in neutral. The car rolled out into the street with me in it, nothing bad happened though. We're talking real young, I had no clue what the shifter even did I was just playing around. After that he owned nothing but boring daily drivers.

fz1d4uaiidkp.jpg

I loved that body style. Almost bought a dark green one. IIRC it had a 351 in it, tranny slipped during test drive. Gentleman wouldn't budge on the price so. Probably a good thing he didn't. Dang thing might have got my young butt in the hoosegow lol 😂
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,168
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Don't sell the car! Once you get it running, every time you cruise around Mom and Dad will be along side you, taking you back to all those memories. Those are priceless, IMO.

My first car that I can remember Dad having was a 59 Bel-Air. Sure I love the style, but for me the greatest thing about it, is that I think of all those times I went along for a ride with Mom and Dad, and my brothers and sisters!

I found another 59 a while ago that needed a lot of work. I bought it. It ran, while the kids were growing up we had a lot of fun with it. After all the kids finished college, that's when the big project started. Finally got the thing finished (complete restoration) a few years ago (long process, takes time and money) and love it. I just wish Mom and Dad were alive when I got the thing finished.

Thanks, Dave, and to everyone else who shared their thoughts, opinions, and memories.

This will definitely be a project of love. Can I afford to restore it? No. But this is an instance in which the emotional/spiritual side trumps everything else.

Short term plan, I think, will be to have it moved to where I am located in the next month or two, locate a good car restoration shop in my area, have it assessed, and then have it worked on little by little as my finances permit.

This is truly a great forum, with people of all backgrounds and expertise willing to share their knowledge of everything from audio (of course) to cameras to toaster ovens (!) to classic car restoration. Thanks again to all. I knew I'd get some good feedback from the Polk family!

• Kex
    Options
    I consider that a lot of the risk when restarting an old vehicle that’s been idle for a while comes from not knowing the history, how much neglect, lack of maintenance, or abuse it has suffered; any poor choices of parts or oil changes at Jiffy Lube etc. Your dad has owned this vehicle since new, so that is a huge factor in your favor, and it eliminates a lot of the risk IMO.

Did you ever mention how many miles are on the odometer?
    Alea jacta est!
  • verb
    Options
    Good plan @pglbook you will not regret it! Easy? Nope. But very rewarding.

Near me, I found a guy who actually worked on 59’s when they were plentiful! Great mechanic, paint and bodywork, electrical, you name it, he did it all.

He referred me to his buddy that does custom interiors too. All those guys in the business are well connected. Another buddy of his rebuilt my transmission.

He worked on it at his own pace, I helped where I could, wrote checks, and over the years developed a great friendship. We still go cruising together during the summer!
  • pglbook
    Options
    I consider that a lot of the risk when restarting an old vehicle that’s been idle for a while comes from not knowing the history, how much neglect, lack of maintenance, or abuse it has suffered; any poor choices of parts or oil changes at Jiffy Lube etc. Your dad has owned this vehicle since new, so that is a huge factor in your favor, and it eliminates a lot of the risk IMO.

Did you ever mention how many miles are on the odometer?

Thanks. Good question and something I need to look into as well.

I do not know how many miles are on the odometer and (perhaps silly question) but does an odometer get reset when a new or rebuilt engine is put in the car? The reason I ask is that my father had a new engine installed (or the old one rebuilt) shortly prior to becoming ill so the new (or rebuilt engine) would not have many miles on it at all (a few thousand miles, if that, I'd guess).

Would the odometer show total miles (original engine miles+ new/rebuilt engine miles) or would it have been reset at the time the new/rebuilt engine was done and now only show those miles on it?

My sister says she has some documents of my father's about the car and will send them to me soon. Hopefully, there are some maintenance records.

• pglbook
    Options
    Good plan @pglbook you will not regret it! Easy? Nope. But very rewarding.

Near me, I found a guy who actually worked on 59’s when they were plentiful! Great mechanic, paint and bodywork, electrical, you name it, he did it all.

He referred me to his buddy that does custom interiors too. All those guys in the business are well connected. Another buddy of his rebuilt my transmission.

He worked on it at his own pace, I helped where I could, wrote checks, and over the years developed a great friendship. We still go cruising together during the summer!

Thanks for the encouragement, Dave. I will need lots of it on this new journey!

• pitdogg2
    Options
    it is illegal to reset odometers and NO they are not when a new motor is installed because the rest of the car still has xxxxxxx number of miles. You can document the mileage when the new motor was installed to say at 75682.03 new/rebuilt motor was installed and now the it reads 85682.09 so you know the motor has XXXXXX number of miles on it.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Let's say, for instance, the speedometer in my car only works occasionally so it's not clocking the miles correctly. Is it illegal for me to replace the cluster with another working one that would obviously have different miles on it if I document and photograph the switch?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    I remember car odometers with only 5 digits before the decimal. When they turned 100,000 miles, BAM, new car!
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Let's say, for instance, the speedometer in my car only works occasionally so it's not clocking the miles correctly. Is it illegal for me to replace the cluster with another working one that would obviously have different miles on it if I document and photograph the switch?

when the ex wife had her cluster go bad on the 03 Chevy truck she had, the "NEW" one came with the exact mileage her old one had... plus if you bought the vehicle used it is ALREADY documented in the title transfer how many miles WAS on it. To try and sell it with a much different mileage would raise HUGE RED flags at the DMV.

On another note I had a friend who's speedo cable broke, bet he drove 5,000 miles not knowing how fast he was going and the mileage he drove.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    When you sell or trade a car in you have to state that the miles are correct by signing a mileage form. They have a box on the form that states the mileage is not correct and you check that if it isn't.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • pglbook
    Options
    Got it, thanks. It definitely makes sense about the odometer. I will call one of my sisters this weekend and ask her if she can let me know the # of miles on the odomoter. I need to go down (it is approx. 4 or 5 hour trip each way) and see the car again myself but it will be impossible for me to do so until February at the earliest (and, even then, I will be at the mercy of the NY winter weather). Thanks again.
  • pglbook
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I just learned something new...when I asked my sister about the title she said there is no title because, prior to 1973, NYS DMV did not issue titles for motor vehicles. Of course, like any good brother, I did not believe her so I googled it. She is right. No title. I will now have to figure out how the transfer and registration will work without a title.

Other cool thing...my sister found the original sales slip my father had. It lists that there were only 2 importers of BMWs in all of the U.S. at that time, in Los Angeles and NY. The car entered at the Elizabeth, NJ, port of entry, My father bought it in Northport, NY (town on Long Island I went to Catholic elementary school for 8 years), for approx. $4,200 (which included a few upgrades such as sunroof, etc).
  • verb
    Options
    pglbook wrote: »
    I just learned something new...when I asked my sister about the title she said there is no title because, prior to 1973, NYS DMV did not issue titles for motor vehicles. Of course, like any good brother, I did not believe her so I googled it. She is right. No title. I will now have to figure out how the transfer and registration will work without a title.

Other cool thing...my sister found the original sales slip my father had. It lists that there were only 2 importers of BMWs in all of the U.S. at that time, in Los Angeles and NY. The car entered at the Elizabeth, NJ, port of entry, My father bought it in Northport, NY (town on Long Island I went to Catholic elementary school for 8 years), for approx. $4,200 (which included a few upgrades such as sunroof, etc).

Very cool provenance on the car! Makes it even more meaningful.

Well since you have the original bill of sale, should not be an issue to get registration, I imagine. Sounds like you're having fun so far!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Got any pictures yet?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Kex
    Options
    Truly awesome! 😎
    Alea jacta est!
  • pglbook
    Options
    Got any pictures yet?

No pics unfortunately and I won't be able to get down to where the car is located for another two months at the earliest. I'll try and see if my sister can take a pic or two and send them to me.

But I will definitely upload pics in the (hopefully near) future.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Y’all are having a blast and the OP is MIA lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer