info on restoring 1972 BMW 2002

Options
pglbook
pglbook Posts: 2,174
edited December 2019 in The Clubhouse
My mother and father passed out 3 years ago and my siblings and I (there are 7 of us) are now in the process of settling their estate. My father had a 1972 BMW 2002 (bought new that year) which he loved and which I have very fond memories of riding in while growing up. My siblings agree that I should have the car. The problem is that it has sat in the garage at my parent's house for the past 15 or 20 years and has not been started in all of that time. My father suffered from dementia the last 10 years of his life and did not drive. iirc, he had put in a new engine in at some point prior to his becoming sick, but the car has not been started in 15 or 20 years. I believe the body and interior are all in pretty decent condition (at least they were the last time I saw the car a few years ago).

I would love to restore the car and preserve that memory of my father but my concern is if it will turn into a money pit for me. I know nothing about cars and have no mechanical ability (my wife says I cannot even change a light bulb...but that is not true...I can change a light bulb as long as it is not a complicated one, ha). I do not even know what will be required (the car is a few hours away and my sisters are not sure). My sister who lives near where the car is located says that the battery is dead so she cannot even start it now (I know...she should buy a new battery and try that...but too complicated for her).

What might be needed? Complete engine rebuild? other work? cost?

I am just trying to figure out how much it may cost to restore and if I'd have the money to do so (and, if cost is too high, I think we'd have to sell it as is as part of the estate).

I know this is not a lot of info (and it is all I have myself at present) but I'd appreciate any info others may have on things I need to consider such as possible cost, resources that may help me research the issue, where to look for a good restorer of these cars, etc.

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I don't know a TON about cars but if it is sitting that long then work WILL need to be done. What work depends on a couple of things. Rust, if any fluids were in the engine or if there was gas sitting in the tank before it sat are the first things that come to mind.

I personally wouldn't start it until you change out the fluids and siphon out the gas tank and put new fuel in there. If gas sat in there it will pull that into the engine and that is no good, if there WAS oil that sat it most likely is gunked up now and will cause damage when starting as well. So I would start with a complete fluid change and possibly a compression test. After that you are looking at spark plugs, filters, brakes, suspension, tires and that whole nine. It could be a money pit but how much I am not sure.

I know @Jstas knows a bit about cars and hopefully he can give more insight.

Also tell your sister to NOT start the car, not even turn it over until you change the fluids.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Dude...that's a bad little car. I hope you get it running.

jz6f7amyp7sg.png

This might help!

https://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?make=BMW&model=2002&year=1972

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • pglbook
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I don't know a TON about cars but if it is sitting that long then work WILL need to be done. What work depends on a couple of things. Rust, if any fluids were in the engine or if there was gas sitting in the tank before it sat are the first things that come to mind.

I personally wouldn't start it until you change out the fluids and siphon out the gas tank and put new fuel in there. If gas sat in there it will pull that into the engine and that is no good, if there WAS oil that sat it most likely is gunked up now and will cause damage when starting as well. So I would start with a complete fluid change and possibly a compression test. After that you are looking at spark plugs, filters, brakes, suspension, tires and that whole nine. It could be a money pit but how much I am not sure.

Also tell your sister to NOT start the car, not even turn it over until you change the fluids.

Much thanks. Great info to start with and I just e-mailed my sisters and told them NOT to start the car. Oil and gas and other fluids have definitely been sitting around in car for the last 15 or 20 years,.

I can see this will be a big project. It will of course be a project of love but unfortunately I cannot put $10k into a restore and am hoping somehow I can make it work and we do not need to sell it as part of the estate. Fingers crossed.

• codycatalist
    Options
    pglbook wrote: »

Much thanks. Great info to start with and I just e-mailed my sisters and told them NOT to start the car. Oil and gas and other fluids have definitely been sitting around in car for the last 15 or 20 years,

Anytime brother! Best of luck getting it back to it's former glory, it is a beautiful car.

• pglbook
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Dude...that's a bad little car. I hope you get it running.

jz6f7amyp7sg.png

This might help!

https://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?make=BMW&model=2002&year=1972

It is an awesome looking (and driving) car. A classic. It is the car that created the BMW name.

My father's car is a tan color, with manual sunroof, and Blaupunkt radio (totl for that time).

My father, after parking the car at the train station all day, would at times come back in the evening after work and see a note stuck to the windshield, with people telling him how much they liked the car and asking him if he ever sold it to keep their name/phone # on file.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Best advice is to sell it at auction. Plenty of buyers out there who may want to do a restore and have the skills and time to do it. Restoration could take a couple years and thousands of dollars.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    I'd drop the gas tank and empty for sure. It might be rusted bad on the iside from condensation. Agree with changing all fluids. Just sitting is horrible on all belts, rubber bushings etc. Brake lines and the flexible ends are likely toast. Rusted frozen calipers can be possible. Seats are most likely shot. That old seat cushion polyurethane goes to dust, the cover material rots.

Nice car could be a long road ahead.
  • pglbook
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'd drop the gas tank and empty for sure. It might be rusted bad on the iside from condensation. Agree with changing all fluids. Just sitting is horrible on all belts, rubber bushings etc. Brake lines and the flexible ends are likely toast. Rusted frozen calipers can be possible. Seats are most likely shot. That old seat cushion polyurethane goes to dust, the cover material rots.

Nice car could be a long road ahead.

Thanks. Seats are nice durable leather and iirc are in nice shape. But perhaps you are referring to seat filler material?

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Yes, he was. It is a project car which will be very $$$ to put it in the kind of condition a collector would want.

If you know nothing about cars and how to work on them I would sell it. It will naturally bring a lot more if it is in running condition. I would contact a local independent BMW shop and see if you can have them give you an estimate of how much it would cost to get it running.

Good luck, and post what you find out about the car.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    I've restored a few in my day. Like others have said, it IS a money pit that you would never get your money back out of if needed. You can hook up an electric fuel pump to the fuel line near the mechanical fuel pump to pump out all the old stale fuel out of the tank and lines. If it's nearly empty then simply top off with fresh non-ethanol fuel and some Startron Fuel treatment, pump out the old fuel from the lines. Brake fluids will need flushed, caliper / wheel cylinders and master cylinder replaced as the rubber inside them will deteriorate with lack of use. Tires probably should be replaced especially if you see any microcracks anywhere. Battery will likely be no good and check belts for cracks too. The cylinder walls will most likely be quite dry so if spark plugs are accessible you can remove them and using a oil squirt can, put at most a half pump of fresh motor oil on top of the pistons. This isn't required but good insurance you won't score the cylinder walls. Not sure but if BMW used chrome rings from the factory this step is not necessary at all. Also if you do this and try to start it make sure it is outside because it will smoke like a banshee as it burns off the excess oil.

Doing the fuel, battery and making sure it has antifreeze should get it to start right up as the Bosch fuel injection system in them are quite simple and reliable. May run rough for a little bit but should smooth out. I've done this with vehicles that have sat more than 20 years and drove them home (not long distances).

Good luck!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,554
    Options
    Sorry for your loss.
    Awesome car there. I've always wanted to fix up a 1968 Datsun Roadster 2000.

Good luck and be sure to keep us up to date with pics!
  • Emlyn
    Options
    Someone on the BMW CCA forum may be able to point you to a good local independent shop to the get the 2002 back on the road. May be worth the cost of a flat bed to get it there.

https://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.php
  • pglbook
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Someone on the BMW CCA forum may be able to point you to a good local independent shop to the get the 2002 back on the road. May be worth the cost of a flat bed to get it there.

https://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.php

Thank you. Good info. I will have to join this group asap.
    edit: I just went on the site and noticed an annual $48 fee to join the group. Looks like this will be the fisrt $$ spent on "Dad's BMW Restoration Project."

btw, what would best way to have car moved aprox. 300 miles? car moving company?

• pglbook
    edited December 2019
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I've restored a few in my day. Like others have said, it IS a money pit that you would never get your money back out of if needed. You can hook up an electric fuel pump to the fuel line near the mechanical fuel pump to pump out all the old stale fuel out of the tank and lines. If it's nearly empty then simply top off with fresh non-ethanol fuel and some Startron Fuel treatment, pump out the old fuel from the lines. Brake fluids will need flushed, caliper / wheel cylinders and master cylinder replaced as the rubber inside them will deteriorate with lack of use. Tires probably should be replaced especially if you see any microcracks anywhere. Battery will likely be no good and check belts for cracks too. The cylinder walls will most likely be quite dry so if spark plugs are accessible you can remove them and using a oil squirt can, put at most a half pump of fresh motor oil on top of the pistons. This isn't required but good insurance you won't score the cylinder walls. Not sure but if BMW used chrome rings from the factory this step is not necessary at all. Also if you do this and try to start it make sure it is outside because it will smoke like a banshee as it burns off the excess oil.

Doing the fuel, battery and making sure it has antifreeze should get it to start right up as the Bosch fuel injection system in them are quite simple and reliable. May run rough for a little bit but should smooth out. I've done this with vehicles that have sat more than 20 years and drove them home (not long distances).

Good luck!

Thanks. Good info. Of course, I can do none of that myself but it is good info to know if/when the time comes to start "Dad's BMW Restoration Project.".

• pglbook
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    Yes, he was. It is a project car which will be very $$$ to put it in the kind of condition a collector would want.

If you know nothing about cars and how to work on them I would sell it. It will naturally bring a lot more if it is in running condition. I would contact a local independent BMW shop and see if you can have them give you an estimate of how much it would cost to get it running.

Good luck, and post what you find out about the car.

Thanks. The idea is to restore the car to nice mechanical condition so I can drive it (I think cosmetics are already pretty good and won't need much done) and keep the car as a memory of my father. I do not need it to be in collector condition because I will not be selling it if I restore it. The question is how much of a money pit it will be and if I can afford (or would want) to pump a lot of money into it. I think $10k would be more than I could afford to put into it, for example, even though the sentimental value would make it priceless.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    The 2002 is one sweet little car, especially the turbo model.

Here's a bit of info

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/07/31/your-definitive-1968-76-bmw-2002-buyers-guide
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pglbook
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    The 2002 is one sweet little car, especially the turbo model.

Here's a bit of info

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2019/07/31/your-definitive-1968-76-bmw-2002-buyers-guide

Thanks.I appreciate it. I had actually found that same site earlier today while doing some research. Love the info and pics on all the different models. I had no idea that BMW produced that model for so many years with each year varying slightly from the previous year. I am curious which year(s) is/are the most collectible. I would assume earlier models but am only guessing and will have to research it.

I do not believe my father had the turbo model but will need to confirm that.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    I don't think the turbo model was even sold in the US. They're pretty rare and sell for $150k+ in great condition. If he imported it or something, highly unlikely, but get ready to crap bricks. They have a unique paint job, you'd know.

bmw-2002-S3619565-1.jpg

• pglbook
    Options
    I don't think the turbo model was even sold in the US. They're pretty rare and sell for $150k+ in great condition. If he imported it or something, highly unlikely, but get ready to crap bricks. They have a unique paint job, you'd know.

bmw-2002-S3619565-1.jpg

You are right. I just read article again and he definitely did not have that rare turbo model. He bought the car in NY.

• Nightfall
    Options
    It's not going to be cheap to restore, especially if you're paying for labor, but you can't put a price on what the car means to you. If you have a garage maybe just keep it in there and chip away at it as you can afford to.

• pglbook
    Options
    It's not going to be cheap to restore, especially if you're paying for labor, but you can't put a price on what the car means to you. If you have a garage maybe just keep it in there and chip away at it as you can afford to.

You described my current thoughts exactly! Thanks again.

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    I've owned 10 Volvo's & there are Volvo garages that charge way less than dealerships. Look around online OR word of mouth by garages in your/that area the car will be at. Do NOT bring it to a regular off the wall service station. I bet you will find BMW garages OR Foreign Auto mechanics that can be very helpful to you. It may be worth the forum also just for info. Dont get discouraged. I am on Volvo forum, but i rarely to visit. I would love to have that project. Good luck to you
    Randy/Maine
  • Emlyn
    Options
    This video has some pretty good basic stuff regarding what to check and how to get it moved to a mechanic. Definitely don't try to start it. And don't pay attention to prices until you get it assessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP7QoailZXQ

Unfortunately, if the car was driven in New York winters and picked up body rust during that time the best bits may be eaten away by now. Not trying to discourage. Just being realistic about the prospects. Hope it turns out to be able to be brought back to life!
  • Emlyn
    Options
    And the results...of spending $21K on the rebuild...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7EYq5S9Cs4
  • charley96
    Options
    Also, do some interweb research on that model. You may not want to sell to the first guy that comes along. Get an idea what it is worth in the current condition. It would be better if ya had some mechanical experience to cut costs. No offense to ya but, I see a lot of cash going out just to make the car roadworthy.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Don't sell the car! Once you get it running, every time you cruise around Mom and Dad will be along side you, taking you back to all those memories. Those are priceless, IMO.

My first car that I can remember Dad having was a 59 Bel-Air. Sure I love the style, but for me the greatest thing about it, is that I think of all those times I went along for a ride with Mom and Dad, and my brothers and sisters!

I found another 59 a while ago that needed a lot of work. I bought it. It ran, while the kids were growing up we had a lot of fun with it. After all the kids finished college, that's when the big project started. Finally got the thing finished (complete restoration) a few years ago (long process, takes time and money) and love it. I just wish Mom and Dad were alive when I got the thing finished.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    It is, as many have mentioned, an iconic, beautiful vehicle.
    And it's well worth restoring. Properly

And that will cost a lot of money.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    The car my dad had when I was a kid that he loved was a Mercury Montego. No clue on the year. One of my early vivid memories was sitting in it in my grandma's driveway which wasn't perfectly flat and putting the transmission in neutral. The car rolled out into the street with me in it, nothing bad happened though. We're talking real young, I had no clue what the shifter even did I was just playing around. After that he owned nothing but boring daily drivers.

fz1d4uaiidkp.jpg

• verb
    Options
    Nice! That's what I'm talking about! Thank goodness it wasn't much worse! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Options
    Finished. A bit more embellished than the original, but I think of Mom and Dad every time.
    lvdqvqf3555l.png