What happened to Derek (DSkip)?

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Many good people on this forum. Now there’s one less. Great comments Joe.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    "Curing dandruff by decapitation"
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Most forums are, ultimately, somebody else's sandbox. If we pee in their sandbox, we are likely to get booted...or disciplined in some way as in this case. We like to think free speech rules in these forums (vanilla speech, at least), but as we see, there are limits.

I'm sorry that Skip chose such an extreme option, especially if he was given alternatives. We lost a lot of archival knowledge and valued opinion.

"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    It won't be the same without him. I don't understand his reasons but I respect them.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I'm sorry to see Derek leave. I hope he will reconsider. My PM's with him still have his comments, so maybe there's hope all his valuable contributions to the forum are not lost forever.
  • This is another sizeable loss for this community. Sad.

CJ (Formerly)
  • Club Polk should have a sign over the entrance that says "Watch Your Back Bubba"
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • afterburnt
    "Aww, it's SQUIDGY. Christ, I'm gettin' all emotional from it, ya know?"
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I'm sorry to see Derek leave. I hope he will reconsider. My PM's with him still have his comments, so maybe there's hope all his valuable contributions to the forum are not lost forever.

Dave, you still have PMs you exchanged with him? Odd. I had a few PMs to him over the years, but ALL are gone now - which stinks because he had given me a lot of good information and it's now gone. I do have his contact info so I can reach out to him outside the forum again if need be. It just sucks that MY messages were deleted too!
  • afterburnt
    I can see a few PM's but most are gone. Too bad since they had good information regarding upgrading etc.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    edited December 2019
    I have a pm that I started with him that is still there. I bet it has to do with which person started the pm. Like when nbrowser had his posts deleted. Any threads started by him vanished, even when others participated in them. That's just a guess.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Maybe that's the difference. All the PM's were started by me.
  • jdjohn wrote: »
    Most forums are, ultimately, somebody else's sandbox. If we pee in their sandbox, we are likely to get booted...or disciplined in some way as in this case. We like to think free speech rules in these forums (vanilla speech, at least), but as we see, there are limits.

I'm sorry that Skip chose such an extreme option, especially if he was given alternatives. We lost a lot of archival knowledge and valued opinion.

Have any of you guys been on AH, or EMO forum? them dude’s will surely jump ya.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2019
    Sorry guys, been a busy morning. He reached out to us and asked that we delete his account along with all his posts. I asked if he was 100% sure, since we cannot recover his posts once we've deleted them, he replied with yes.

I can certainly unban him if he ever changes his mind but this was 100% his decision. Not sure why.
  • afterburnt
    Really, so Polk had no issue with him?
  • We politely asked him to not promote other speaker brands on the forum anymore. AVRs were fine.

Obviously we cannot show the full conversation since all of his posts were deleted but below is the email reply from him we can reference.

9y7nt3nw98gp.png
  • afterburnt
    That's odd, I wouldn't have quit just because of that, but then again I usually don't know when to quit. Thank you Cassidy for responding, most of these folks just ignore me.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thank you @CassidyStains for the clarification. It is a shame that all his posts are gone. Lots of good stuff in there.

Derek if you happen to read this I wish you well my friend. And hope you come back! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    So if I like a speaker besides polk I can't mention it here ?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    That’s not really the objection...
    Alea jacta est!
  • Upstatemax wrote: »
    marvda1 wrote: »
    So if I like a speaker besides polk I can't mention it here ?

Are you selling them as a dealer?

Totally different coming from a dealer with a monetary interest.

It’s too bad he chose to go this direction and blow what seems to be a simple and understandable request way out of proportion.

Well said, Lot’s of people use forum’s for personal gain. Not just Polk, go over on EMO or AH, or AVS most of the older members are dealers.

This discussion has been closed.