Pellet Grill

As mentioned in another thread I decided to pull the trigger on a Traeger pellet grill... Anybody using a Traeger (or like product) and what are your experiences... I am going to start off with 3 different woods...apple, hickory and pecan pellets. I like apple for chicken, pecan for almost anything and hickory is to me traditional for beef, chicken or pork.... I have seen and tasted some interesting blends too....

Probably going to do a small turkey or a big chicken this weekend for starters...

Mouth is watering :)
My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Thinking of a rib roast for Christmas....

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Have fun with your Traeger. Friends of mine love their pellet grills. I agree with your choice of woods. Apple is great with poultry. A pellet grill might be my next one.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited December 2019
    Try some cherry wood. I personally will be looking next spring for one that does not use pellets. I like the option of charcoal and or chunk wood. All of the pellet grills in my area didn't seem to be able to use charcoal or chunk wood from what I seen.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited December 2019
    I have a RecTec and love it. Pic borrowed from net:
    gwl5erzzsatl.png
    Son has a Traeger. My pellet preferences are Red (not white) Oak, Pecan and Hickory. I buy the 3 and blend 50% Oak, 25% ea Pecan and Hickory. I found there was a bit of a learning curve for small cuts of meat. First time out of the gate I did pork chops and they came out like ham. Fail. Not bad, mind you, but not what I expected.

Recently been doing Tri-Tip to great results. Simple Kosher salt, garlic powder and pepper. Santa Maria style I was raised on and must be 100% Red Oak to be authentic. Smoke @ 210F until 120-125 internal temp and then pull and tent with foil. Stoke grill to 375 or higher and reverse sear using the flat side of Grill Grates to render the fat and produce a nice crust. https://www.grillgrate.com/shop-grillgrates/standard-grillgrates/pellet-grills/btwgxjmaedkr.png
    Continue to watch the internal temp and not shoot past your preferred target (mooing/rare/med rare, etc).

I spatchcock poultry and start at the lowest temp setting (max smoke) for 20-30 min's, or more, depending on desired smoke taste. Wife and I prefer light to medium vs. heavy smoke. Raise temp to 350-375 and cook until done. One thing w/smokers is you won't get crispy skin unless you use high temp. I like the skin but don't indulge to save calories. Also, very low temps on chicken and the meat tends to come out rubbery.

Lean meats can dry out so buy a small spray bottle and spritz w/your choice of juice or other liquid every 1/2 or on the hour. I use 100% apple for taste and bit of sweetness. Usually do this on pork cuts and ribs. Pic of my recent sauced and rubbed babyback's mid-smoke...xfccm4scmgo5.jpg

Papa Murphy's pizza, low setting to smoke, and then in the oven to finish off. Yummm!

Son follows the Traeger recipes and claims to have good results. He's in another state, so haven't had the opportunity to try it, but trust his raised on Q by me judgement.

Get a Bucket Head to clean out the ash from your smoker. Cheap, $24.97 @ Home Depot (+bucket), and will make quick work of it plus save your nice shop vac from getting trashed. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head-5-Gal-1-75-Peak-HP-Wet-Dry-Vac-BH0100/202017218bea6aoql2vxb.png
    Haven't done any large cuts/really long smokes, yet, but have my sights on doing a whole suckling pig when I do. For Christmas, thinking about doing goose.

Still getting my learn on. Congrats and happy smoking!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Mikey081057
    Good stuff.... Thanks!

• soupbone
    soupbone Posts: 104
    I just purchased a pellet grill in early fall. A Pit Boss Tailgater. Pellet grills are as stated "Pellet Grills"

I like smoked ribs. Couldn't wait to taste the ribs and enjoy the ease of use that pellet grills have to offer. It sure is easier but doesn't even come close to the results that I get from offset smoking using charcoal and wood chuncks on my Weber kettle grill...not even close!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Please no pecan on beef
    For beef, your oaks as a base and add flavor with your mesquite, hickory etc at the end
    Just my HO
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Mikey081057
    I am not a big mesquite fan but would probably go with hickory or a blend of hickory/oak. I got tired of mesquite back in the day when they did mesquite everything.

• JayCee
    edited December 2019
    Not a big mesquite fan, either. Personal preference.

Lived in north Texas for a few years and we had pecan orchards nearby. Hills and hills of shells given away by the gunny sack. Never used it until I was on a Dallas area Q pilgrimage. "D" (for Dallas) magazine did a top 10 or 12 bbq joint list and my goal was to try all their pics. Hit about 7 of them and "Off the Bone" on Mansfield Hwy, Forest Hill, was my favorite. First time I went there they were completely sold out for the day. Anyway, spoke with the owner, very nice guy, and his woods of choice were a mix of oak and pecan. Took me around back and pulled off several ribs that were smoking for the next day. Gracious guy and gave them to me for free.

@txcoastal1, just curious, what's the "beef" with pecan on beef?
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • maxward
    @JayCee How do you like the Rec Tec grill? Is that the 590 model? Any other pellet grill owners here who are happy with their brand of grill please share. Meathead at AmazingRibs likes Mak grills, but even their small model is too much for my budget at $1800.
  • JayCee
    maxward wrote: »
    @JayCee How do you like the Rec Tec grill? Is that the 590 model?
    Yes, it's the RT-590 "Stampede". Sits in the middle of their 3 standard smokers. No disrespect to Traeger or anyone that owns one, but I attended a Costco/Traeger roadshow and was disappointed in the sheet metal gauge. Kind of like a basic speaker cabinet, tap on it and you get an indication of how substantial (or not) it might be.

Got my read on and liked the fact that RecTec is stainless steel and solidly built, to include the smoke pot. Also liked that it wasn't painted and prone to peeling. The door is coated w/black enamel but all indications were that it's durable. RecTec owners are very brand loyal and tout the customer service if problems occur...even if out of warranty. Kind of like longtime Polk owners.

Bottom line is I'm a*n*a*l in that I like to take care of things and make them last. My previous grill was a charbroil that I picked up on sale from Walmart 17 years ago. I babied it and rebuilt the guts every 2-3 years.

RecTec isn't the cheapest (or most expensive) smoker on the market but my experience, after 1 1/2 years, is that it is a good long term investment. A few other's that I compared were Grilla, Green Mountain and Camp Chef. Ultimately, they all accomplish the same goal...smoke meat to good results, but it was build longevity and potential customer support that sold me.
  • maxward
    Thanks. Both Traeger and Mak Grills are local to me (western Oregon). When Traeger got popular, they moved production overseas. Two friends love their Traegers, but both have have a few problems. Another has a Green Mountain and so far has been pleased. I’m looking for the long term. Glad to hear about your experience.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Outdoor cooking is one of my favorite hobbies currently. I've gotten pretty wrapped up in it, and have a variety of grills, including a Traeger Timberline 1300. Despite currently being my most expensive cooker, I have to say it is also my least favorite. IMO pellet grills are kind of the all-season tire of grills. They do most everything ok, but nothing truly great. That being said, they totally have their place. For those that don't want all the work of cooking over charcoal or wood, but still want more flavor than a gas cooker, they're virtually impossible to beat. Also Traeger has a huge catalog of pretty tried and true recipes, that are pretty hard to screw up. They're also a great starting point for those interested in smoking, and grilling as they're easy to use, and if you decide it's not for you, they hold their value quite well on the used market. Anyway...Enjoy!

Oh also try some beef jerky on it. That's probably my favorite thing to cook on the Traeger, as it's mindless to hold 160-170 for 4hrs, and it doesn't produce so much smoke that it makes the meat bitter.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Mikey081057
    So my Traeger got delivered by ACE today... They assembled it at their shop and we wheeled it on to the Lanai this afternoon. I seasoned it as per instructions and have a big 5lb chicken on it now. I am using the Traeger app and the cooking probe to get it to 165* internal temp. It's at 140 now and seems to be doing well with a grill temp of 225. The lid is shut and we'll see in a little while.

Seems to be pretty simple and the temp controls are pretty accurate.

I chose the smaller/compact model thinking that I don't cool for 12 people and that it would conserve pellets a bit.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Hope it is okay since this was your 6,666 post. :)

yr0flkh7icfd.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Mikey081057
    edited December 2019
    The chicken is having a bad day in smokey hell >:)

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Good friend has a Treager Smoker and loves it, set it and go. I still use a Webber Bullet Smoker with a different variety of Kingsford Flavored Charcoal.

v65q7gg8mr94.png

yz8cdicnluca.jpg

Webber also has a new Pellet Smoker coming out in Jan. 2020

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/wood-pellet-grills/smokefire-series/

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Oh yea. One quick tip. Wait until you've done at least a few (preferably a half dozen) cooks of either pork, beef, or poultry before doing any fish. For some reason a fish cook too early on has a tendency to linger, and slightly taint following cooks.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    here's one from a big name manufacturer.
    http://www.texasbbqforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=302999#p302999
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I have been lazy and have only used my electric Master Built for the longest. I am curious to try some pellets for the smoke since there are a wide variety but I don't need a dog food sizes sack of pellets. Hell, I don't even know how pellets would work in that thing. I use cherry for almost everything but oak for the rare times I cook beef.
  • Mikey081057
    Got it goin on today....

Ribs

Plenty of smoke.... means we are going to have some good ribs or a new pope!

w1d2bzqppvmj.jpg

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Got it goin on today....

Ribs

Plenty of smoke.... means we are going to have some good ribs or a new pope!

w1d2bzqppvmj.jpg

Smells Good :D

• halen
    halen Posts: 675
    I looked into pellet grills for over a year now. Back then I wanted to get the Green Mountain over Traeger.

Pellet smokers smoke at lower temps only. Higher temps you get heat. So all pellet smokers come with an accessory..... a smoke tube with real wood chips.

Who would have known? A pellet smoker that must use smoke tubes to have the smoke taste. Don’t get me wrong I still want to try pellet smokers. Such is a mid life crisis.

By the way. That Marvin fella.. he could seriously smoke meats.

Halen
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    halen wrote: »
    I looked into pellet grills for over a year now. Back then I wanted to get the Green Mountain over Traeger.

Pellet smokers smoke at lower temps only. Higher temps you get heat. So all pellet smokers come with an accessory..... a smoke tube with real wood chips.

Who would have known? A pellet smoker that must use smoke tubes to have the smoke taste. Don’t get me wrong I still want to try pellet smokers. Such is a mid life crisis.

By the way. That Marvin fella.. he could seriously smoke meats.

Halen

I sort of disagree that I need a smoke tube with my pellet grill (a cheapo Walmart Pit Boss) I paid $380 for this pit boss and have not use my Weber Smokey mountain for over 2 years now because it so simple to use. gives plenty of smoke on the upper rack (which heat rises and everything cooks faster up there!

Pork Tenderloins (not pork loins) on the top rack at 250 degrees gets done in like 1 1/2 hour so I don't use a rub and prefer only salt & pepper on it! has a nice smoke ring and is super juicy B)

For ribs I do 3 hours naked then wrap tightly in foil and in about 45 minutes you can pull the bones out :)

for "Boston buts/Pork Shoulder/picnic's give it 6 hours naked and 2 hours in foil and I bet it should read 210 and fall apart with a simple fork. B)

for my Yoder (amish) meat market steaks I cook indirectly at about 350 degrees until it hits 90 degrees then I flip them and when it hits 115 I open the sear window and crank it to 450 degrees and give it about 1/2 a minute per side till it hit 128 and then wrap/rest in foil for 5 minutes and you have a teak almost pink form edge to edge and the best steak you ever ate!

P.s> the Rib's i cooked on my old Weber smokey Mountain were always a touch better the then the pellet grill..but not enough better to make me go back to the Weber.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • soupbone
    soupbone Posts: 104
    I also own a Pit Boss like voltz. He is correct: ease of use, convenient, fall off the bone tender, super juicy, smoke ring, etc. BUT really lacking in that great smoke flavor that can be achieved when I offset smoke on my Weber kettle...It's not even close!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I like my GF' s Traeger for some things but we get tired of everything being smoked and the increased cooking times but if you have access to both that and a regular grill you get the best of both worlds.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus