FLAC files I'm done with them

2»

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    I hear yeah on being done with Ripping storing managing etc. I got very tired of all the work myself.
    I got so much music it isn't even funny. I don't even listen to most of it.

I gotta comment on a few things about High Rez CD quality mastering Vinyl etc.
    First off no matter what the master needs to be of high quality or it doesn't matter how you play it back. If you got a crap Master then you have a crap sounding media.
    I don't care if it's streaming, High Rez or a CD it will sound awful. High Rez doesn't mean better sound quality what it does mean is you have more room for higher data rates of high quality music. If the master was originally 16 44.1 then putting into 24/96 or 24/192 will not make it sound any better. You just have more room to work with.
    Now if you have a 24/96 master and then replay it back at 24/96 well then you get to hear what is without anything missing. If you down convert it to 16/44.1 then you lose info.
    I know most people know all that but I'm sure a few people don't understand how high rez works. Years and year ago I was trained by Puremusic which is a Apple based high rez player that allows you to use a Mac and iTunes then and manage all you music in one place. It was a ad on to iTunes and allowed high rez files to play. There was some work involved but not much. The dude who designed that software is like a Emit Brown from back to the Future LOL or Bob Carver type dude. Very disconnected but very connected to what he does.
    He had a high rez workshop at Audiolab where I use to work years ago and I had to take over for him and teach the class with more down to earth language. He had everyone glazed over even people who are way into our hobby.

Anyway don't worry so much about how you play back your music over the quality of the music you have. Cd's can sound amazing and so can Vinyl and high rez but only if the master is a good cut.
    I really hate the music industry most of the time not just using the best quality delivery system and allow all music to live there. There is no reason for lower quality files as storage space is cheap now. You don't need to worry about that we walk around with 512g storage in our pockets on our cell phones or more.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited December 2019
    I want to add network storage for our home 'putes... but I am chicken.

Good thing I'm not pigeon, though, I suppose.

kni8svti4dwk.png

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/laurenstrapagiel/someone-has-attached-tiny-cowboy-hats-to-pigeons-in-las
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    @mantis and @jdjohn said everything I would have said on the subject.

My fav thing of the moment is simply using my iMac as a jukebox on
    random w/ a cheapo USB cable into a DAC. I'm not even using
    bit perfect. Sounds plenty good to me and adding and backing up is a no brainer.
    Get to hear a lot of "my" music I wouldn't listen to otherwise.

I haven't gone full @tophatjohnny yet and don't have to at the moment...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • SIHAB wrote: »
    @mantis and @jdjohn said everything I would have said on the subject.

My fav thing of the moment is simply using my iMac as a jukebox on
    random w/ a cheapo USB cable into a DAC. I'm not even using
    bit perfect. Sounds plenty good to me and adding and backing up is a no brainer.
    Get to hear a lot of "my" music I wouldn't listen to otherwise.

I haven't gone full @tophatjohnny yet and don't have to at the moment...

C'mon with it bro! 😂 my collection is so slamming Right now (& it's growing all the time) and yes it takes a lotta work time and money to do it right. If it wasn't fun for me I wouldn't do it. One thing for sure in my camp..no need or desire for any streaming service and doubt I ever will. ...I have sampled all available out there and close doesn't work for me😃🎩
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @gudnoyez I have all that he released when he was still alive but like you said the postmortem stuff never stops coming. I did find out that I don't have the first postmortem release Civilization Phaze III.

https://store.zappa.com/the-hot-rats-sessions-box-set-preorder.html
    Here is the latest let me know when you get it. You can spend big bucks staying on the Zappa Post mortem train Big Bucks, lots of dollars, mucho dinero.

Yeah too much for me, that one will have to wait but thanks for the heads up I will add it to my list.
  • afterburnt wrote: »
    @gudnoyez I have all that he released when he was still alive but like you said the postmortem stuff never stops coming. I did find out that I don't have the first postmortem release Civilization Phaze III.

Here is the latest let me know when you get it. You can spend big bucks staying on the Zappa Post mortem train Big Bucks, lots of dollars, mucho dinero.

Yeah too much for me, that one will have to wait but thanks for the heads up I will add it to my list.

I have or have had many single release CDs costing more than twice of that box set so it seems to me like a great value for someone that's way into Zappa. I haven't counted my FZ stuff but pretty sure it's more than 50 albums strong ...he is or was sure a trip. Like a 🐧 in bondage boy...oh yeah oh yeah oh......and never did box my doggie! How bout U??
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • afterburnt

I have or have had many single release CDs costing more than twice of that box set so it seems to me like a great value for someone that's way into Zappa. I haven't counted my FZ stuff but pretty sure it's more than 50 albums strong ...he is or was sure a trip. Like a 🐧 in bondage boy...oh yeah oh yeah oh......and never did box my doggie! How bout U??

I am working my way up the chain of Posthumus stuff usually 20 bucks for two CD sets. I got a ways to go to get to that one but it does sound like a good one.
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it's sort of related. This is to all the people that rip their own music to flac. Do you guys use a cd-rom cleaner (disc with brush)? I've read conflicting reports about this. some say the brush is putting faint scratches on the lens, some say you periodically need to clean the lens to remove dust, and some say the only way to do it properly is to take it apart and blow it out with air.

There should be no reason to use a lens cleaner (disc or otherwise); any problems you have are probably the result of some other issue. Ripping software (like EAC) will tell you if there are errors in your "rip". I have created thousands of FLAC files from a "cheap" CD burner; spend your $ on the playback equipment!

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited December 2019
    I agree on the no lens cleaning thing. But, a high quality disc drive can help a lot with the CD ripping process. I got an Asus Blu Ray drive and an external USB 3.0 enclosure a while back primarily for Blu Ray ripping but it sped up my CD rips by about 30 percent too. That’s compared to the six year old Blu Ray drive that came built into a PC. Errors have never been a problem with the old built in drive, but speed was with full error detection turned on. This one...

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Computer-International-Blu-Ray-BW-16D1HT/dp/B00DWFPDJI

And I have around 20 recent cd purchases to add to the collection on the network. The process does not end!
  • afterburnt

It's here! The new phonebook is here!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638

Jerk....
  • Rippers Lives Matter!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922

Jerk....

I'm somebody now!

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited April 2021
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Nope. I would rather have high-res rips versus low res streaming.

The Rips smash the Streaming ‘ I know mine do! 😉 have to add , if you are expecting magic with entry level gear it won’t happen! The Auralic Vega G2 is Magical ! My Cambridge 851N was and is NOT! !
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Interesting thread, seems to me everyone is just expressing how much time and money they are willing to throw at this to satisfy them. There is always better to be had in this hobby, at a cost. Bottom-line has always been, as long as you enjoy your music, playing on any gear in any format, who cares....rock on. It's always been about the music, not the gear.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    I don't know about that. I'm thinking of getting an Auralic Vega G2.1
    I'll be .1 better! :#
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Emlyn
    An improvement of .1 for a cost of 42 percent more is normal for a person diagnosed and living with a case of audiophilia nervosa. Rock on. :)
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited April 2021
    SIHAB wrote: »
    I don't know about that. I'm thinking of getting an Auralic Vega G2.1
    I'll be .1 better! :#

The .1 has only to deal with possible crosstalk type interference that happens more in other countries and in super busy areas that may suffer wi fi ups and downs! Nothing to do with the sound 😉

And Tony makes a valid point to the folks that aren’t able to make higher end gear happen! I spent most of my life with no stereo gear so this chapter in my life I am making sure I have decent gear that fits my budget ! The Vega G2 is a game changer and I’m sure that level of listening gear is not all that important to all! It is all about the music to me and I like mine served up as good as possible within my means, by all means, King of the Road🎶😊
  • Emlyn
    Well said. Truth is I was just as happy listening to some tunes on a cheap pair of Sansui speakers in 1986 with a cheap receiver and cassette deck as I am now. That's what I could afford at the time. Actually, it could be said that I was happier because I was discovering more that was new to me in music back then than I am now.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    It's not just the cost factor gents, not everyone is an audiophile wacko like most of us here. Some just don't see the value in dropping big coin for what they perceive as little differences in sound.

.....AND, so what. Enjoy what you have in the way you like. Rock out with your you know what out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable