New McIntosh Monoblock Amp

Options
I found this very interesting.

McIntosh new MC901 Dual Mono Amplifier.

The MC901 is a monoblock amplifier that drives a single speaker. But it is unlike any other monoblock amplifier. What makes the MC901 so unique is that it's two amplifiers combined into one. Adding to the uniqueness is that each amplifier is of differing design philosophies: the MC901 consists of a 300 Watt vacuum tube amplifier attached to a 600 Watt solid state amplifier on one unified chassis.

eqvrj0rab3vn.jpg

dictviusn1o6.jpg

evku9gdsdggh.jpg

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    Well that is interesting! So is it 900wpc? 8ohm specs at 4ohm?
    She is a looker
  • pitdogg2
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Well maybe the SS for low end and tubes for highs.
  • codycatalist
    Options
    I see taps for SS and taps for Tube... Weird.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Glass must be getting expensive as they only use it for the meter face...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I have a feeling a pair of those would cost as much as my house.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    must be class d on the solid state end as it may not have enough heat sink area.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Well maybe the SS for low end and tubes for highs.

I'll bet 10.00 that there is it's purpose. ;)

I'm not into tubes yet but from what I've read, this design makes sense to me.

Now..., do they have a mixed Pre-AMP too?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    Glass must be getting expensive as they only use it for the meter face...

I think there's a little bit in the tubes, too... but, of course, Mac doesn't make the tubes.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Appears to be a MC2301 and MC601 rolled into one chassis. Wonder how the power supply is split up, or if it is.

Where did you see this?

EDIT: I found it on the www. Interesting product. It is built for bi-amping and contains a cross-over. $17.5K each and 29.5" deep.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    Here's a bit more info on them.....I say kudos to Mac's engineering dept. for coming up with a statement piece like this

Announcing the McIntosh

MC901 Dual Mono Amplifier

McIntosh is proud to announce the new MC901 Dual Mono Amplifier.

Legendary home audio company McIntosh has been perfecting vacuum tube amplifiers since the 1940s and solid state amplifiers since the 1960s. Their amplifiers have been used at many historic events including presidential inaugurations and Woodstock, as well as in landmark sound systems like the Grateful Dead's Wall of Sound and Despacio. From that heritage comes a truly one-of-a-kind home audio amplifier only they could dream of, design and build as the ultimate solution for bi-amping loudspeakers: the new McIntosh MC901 Dual Mono Amplifier.

The MC901 is a monoblock amplifier that drives a single speaker. But it is unlike any other monoblock amplifier. What makes the MC901 so unique is that it's two amplifiers combined into one. Adding to the uniqueness is that each amplifier is of differing design philosophies: the MC901 consists of a 300 Watt vacuum tube amplifier attached to a 600 Watt solid state amplifier on one unified chassis.

The 300 Watt vacuum tube portion powers the speaker's mid and upper drivers via eight KT88 output tubes, plus four 12AT7 and two 12AX7A signal tubes; the solid state section delivers 600 Watts of dedicated power to the power hungry woofers. The 300 Watt vacuum tube amp in the MC901 uses McIntosh's patented Unity Coupled Circuit output transformer – the same technology McIntosh was founded on in 1949 – to deliver its full 300 Watts into almost any speaker regardless if it has 2, 4 or 8 Ohm impedance. Similarly, the 600 Watt solid state amp delivers its full 600 Watts into a 2, 4 or 8 Ohm impedance speaker via McIntosh's Autoformer™ technology.

Vacuum tubes do not perform at their best when they are amplifying lower frequencies that are not being used by the loudspeaker. With the MC901, the vacuum tube amp will not be burdened with low end reproduction as the solid state section will drive these frequencies. The two amplifier sections of the MC901 are designed to work together in a synergistic relationship and are specifically engineered to assure that each section only amplifies its intended frequencies. Each amplifier section has its own discrete power supply so neither siphons power or performance away from the other. All of this results in easy bi-amping with unparalleled performance and sound reproduction from the speakers.

Prior to the MC901, bi-amping a speaker required two separate amplifiers. It also required an external crossover, along with a lot of trial and error, to properly configure the two detached amplifiers so they worked together as best as possible. The MC901 solves this issue thanks to its internal, adjustable crossover with the controls easily accessible on the top of the unit. These adjustable crossover filters allow the user to optimize the performance of both amplifier sections to their listening preferences. Relative gain levels for each amplifier section can be adjusted from -6dB to + 3dB. A direct feed can also be connected to each amplifier section, thus bypassing the filters.

Like virtually all McIntosh amplifiers, the MC901 features an iconic "McIntosh Blue" Watt meter, which has come to be recognized around the world as a symbol of quality audio. And just like the MC901 itself is a new design, so too is its meter with the introduction of McIntosh's new DualView™ Power Output Meter. The DualView meter features two of McIntosh's traditional, fast responding mechanical meters stacked above and below each other in a single meter window; one meter is dedicated to the 300 Watt vacuum tube amp and the other to the 600 Watt solid state amp. Each meter operates independently of the other and displays the real time power reading of each amplifier section.

While an entirely new design, the MC901 comes with the technology one would expect from a McIntosh amplifier: Power Guard® in the 600 Watt solid state amplifier section, Sentry Monitor™, Quad Balanced design, Power Control, Solid Cinch™ speaker binding posts, McIntosh Monogrammed Heatsinks™, and McIntosh's eco-friendly Power Management System.

A brand new technology in the 300 Watt vacuum tube amplifier section of the MC901 is Power Guard Screen Grid Sensor™ (SGS). Power Guard SGS™ helps prevent premature vacuum tube failure by monitoring the screen grid current in the KT88 output vacuum tubes. If the current becomes too high, a circuit in Power Guard SGS is activated which then dynamically attenuates the input signal in real time to keep the vacuum tubes operating at safe levels.

Although the MC901 may look different than any McIntosh product before it, a quick glance reveals signature McIntosh design cues. The top is highlighted by a series of diagrams printed on glass that outline the basic circuitry and specifications of the unit, along with a glass nameplate trimmed with a circular aluminum ring that's finished to match the front panel endcaps. The sides are adorned with vintage McIntosh-styled die cast aluminum name badges. Two classic McIntosh knobs are located on the front of the polished stainless steel chassis, and direct LED backlighting illuminates the DualView meter, McIntosh logo and the lettering on the black glass front panel. The uncompromising level of fit and finish that is expected of a McIntosh product completes the MC901.

Unit Dimensions (W x H x D):
    17-1/2" (44.5cm) x 13-1/4" (33.7cm) x 29-1/2" (74.9cm)

Shipping Dimensions (W x H x D):
    24-13/16" (63cm) x 18-3/8" (46.7cm) x 36-1/4" (92.1cm)

Unit Weight:
    170 lbs (77.1 kg)

Shipping Weight:
    190 lbs (86.2 kg)

Expected to begin shipping December 2019

• US MSRP: $17,500 each Mono Amplifier

A one-of-a-kind, ultimate solution for bi-amping loudspeakers with dual inputs
    Wow! That's all I got. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,168
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Damn, it looks like I won't be able to get one. 29" deep. There is no way that will fit in my Salamander cabinet. Oh yeah, there is also one other little thing that prevents me from acquiring it: $17,500.

Bus, as Verb so elonquently stated, Wow!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    170 lbs each. That's some weight! Interesting design. I would give it a listen.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    out of the box thinking. Lets see how many other manufacturers follow suit. An interesting design.
    [
  • marvda1
    Options
    are there that many manufacturers that do both solid state and tubes ?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    No doubt this will trickle down somewhat.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • marvda1
    Options
    if I were playing in this price arena, don't think I would be looking at McIntosh.
    Puritan PSM156
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    if I were playing in this price arena, don't think I would be looking at McIntosh.

I agree Marv. The McIntosh rooms are beautiful but I've never walked away with the goosebumps from the intoxicating sound.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @motorstereo,

I encourage you to buy a pair of these so that I can drop by on my next trip to NJ from NH. I'd love to hear how they drive your pair 1.2tls.

:)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Phil and honestly I'd love to hear them on a pair of 1.2tls........just not mine :)
    Perhaps you could be the first one in CP to land a pair?? It would be my pleasure to head to NH to help you wrestle those beasts in
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I think @Mpitogo needs these

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Phil and honestly I'd love to hear them on a pair of 1.2tls........just not mine :)
    Perhaps you could be the first one in CP to land a pair?? It would be my pleasure to head to NH to help you wrestle those beasts in

Brian,

If I thought I could persuade my wife that for some reason I [we] really NEED a pair of these monoblocks, I would be tempted to try.

But, I am pretty sure I wouldn't have the proverbial prayer to succeed in that endeavor!

Happy holidays, @motorstereo.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    I don't get how their internal crossover works if you biamp these to a speaker. When you biwire with a regular amp you send the signal to the tweeter for the highs and the same signal to the mid /bass woofers. Its the speakers crossover that determines the crossover point to give a flat response.

With an additional crossover in the amp how do you get it exactly match with the speakers crossover points and give a flat overall response? You would need to have it at the exact crossover point as the speakers and hope both crossover curves have the same "order". A first, second, and third order crossover can have the same cutoff point but they all have a different slopes. I will bet that if you measure the speakers response with this kind of setup there will always be some kind of blip at the crossover point.

What am I missing?
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 477
    Options
    2 issues

1) fugly
    2) I don’t do tubes
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    mpitogo wrote: »
    2 issues

1) fugly
    2) I don’t do tubes

Tunes RULE... if you don’t have tubes in your rig somewhere, you don’t know what you’re missing.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    delkal wrote: »
    I don't get how their internal crossover works if you biamp these to a speaker. When you biwire with a regular amp you send the signal to the tweeter for the highs and the same signal to the mid /bass woofers. Its the speakers crossover that determines the crossover point to give a flat response.

With an additional crossover in the amp how do you get it exactly match with the speakers crossover points and give a flat overall response? You would need to have it at the exact crossover point as the speakers and hope both crossover curves have the same "order". A first, second, and third order crossover can have the same cutoff point but they all have a different slopes. I will bet that if you measure the speakers response with this kind of setup there will always be some kind of blip at the crossover point.

What am I missing?

When using an active crossover you take the passive crossover in the speaker out of the signal path.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    delkal wrote: »

What am I missing?

When using an active crossover you take the passive crossover in the speaker out of the signal path.

That would make more sense but I wonder how many people will rip the guts out of their ultra high end (and extremely expensive) speakers?

One more question. The tubed part puts out 300 watts. Can you even put that much power to one tweeter?
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Understand this completely, but.....

If someone did go nuts and pair these with a nice set of 1.2tl's, would that not kill the entire concept of SDA? Without a focused engineering effort, there would be no way to reap the full "benefits" of the investment with any SDA speaker.

Am I missing something?
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    mpitogo wrote: »
    2 issues

1) fugly
    2) I don’t do tubes

Tunes RULE... if you don’t have tubes in your rig somewhere, you don’t know what you’re missing.

If you do have tubes in your rig, you probably haven’t heard world class solid state.

I had a world class SS amp - I came back to tubes.
    [
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I thought MasterSound was the best ever...