New McIntosh Monoblock Amp

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    It's not like 300 watts or nothing. There's plenty of high powered amps driving the tweeters in speakers without issue.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited December 2019
    ... and there are tweeters* that can absorb that kind of wallop.
    Maybe not tweeters you or I would want in our domiciles... but they do exist.

* plus, of course, depending on the XO, I would presume that the midrange might also be handled by this Mac's 'treble amplifier' section. There are some pretty insensitive midrange drivers/configurations out there. Pretty much every Magnepan (Magneplanar) product ever made, e.g. :#

• miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    DSkip wrote: »
    miner wrote: »
    mpitogo wrote: »
    2 issues

1) fugly
    2) I don’t do tubes

Tunes RULE... if you don’t have tubes in your rig somewhere, you don’t know what you’re missing.

If you do have tubes in your rig, you probably haven’t heard world class solid state.

I had a world class SS amp - I came back to tubes.

Which one was it?

McIntosh MC452
    [
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623

McIntosh MC452

Fantastic amp.

My father has one running his Totem Element Fire speakers. I keep trying to convince him that he hates it and that He should just hand it over to me.

So far I’ve failed...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Upstatemax wrote: »

McIntosh MC452

Fantastic amp.

My father has one running his Totem Element Fire speakers. I keep trying to convince him that he hates it and that He should just hand it over to me.

So far I’ve failed...

That is not a world class amp considering Skip doesn't care for Mcintosh….

Personally, love it.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192

McIntosh MC452

Fantastic amp.

So far I’ve failed...

Personally, love it.

What, exactly, IS your problem?
    In my head, that sounded exactly like Chandler!

os27u4mp47ou.jpg
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Like all things audio, for those in the know... it comes down to synergy.

Yes, Mastersound are nice. When it matches well with other items. I believe @Skip has pointed this out in the past. I loved the Mastersound and my Rosso pairing. But I did not like it on my Ushers as much as an amp that cost much less.

As for McIntosh. I have experienced it setup on dozens of setups throughout the past 25 years. The only time I liked it was around 25 years ago, when I did not know much about audio.

I have nothing against McIntosh. I am sure it sounds great to many on whatever setups they may have.

As for world class... I do not even have to think about this because it is not. World class audio anything does not exist. It is the snobbery of believing it that compels one to make such snide comments. It is the evolution of experience and time spent not read about.

We all love our own audio in our own personal ways. Some of us have much more experience with so many different setups, I am no where near the vicinity of that level.... reading some of the comments here... sigh... this narcissistic behavior needs some controlling.

halen

• halen
    edited December 2019
    And... Fake news.

Don’t know if you know, but Skip had McIntosh of varying levels come through his abode.

McIntosh MC452

Fantastic amp.

So far I’ve failed...

Personally, love it.

• nooshinjohn
    edited December 2019

McIntosh MC452

Fantastic amp.

So far I’ve failed...

Personally, love it.

I don't have a problem. Did you not say this?...
    I'm really not a fan of the direction McIntosh is going.

I simply stated you appear to not really care too much for Mcintosh. If you don't like the brand, it is doubtful you would see them as being a world class amp. I don't like or consider as great, more than a few things others consider "world class"... BMW for one.

If I am wrong , my apologies.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    SHOTS FIRED!!!!!!

ms76hzrkvlkk.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    Stop trying to stir the pot Viking.... nobody cares about your silly little pugs either.

• Goosefraba peoples Goosefraba.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Viking64
    Stop trying to stir the pot Viking.... nobody cares about your silly little pugs either.

I'm not stirring the pot. I am watching you stir the pot with Skip, like you did over and over about the Legend speakers at his event.
  • nooshinjohn
    Yeah... keep telling yourself that.

• Viking64
    Yeah... keep telling yourself that.

• nooshinjohn
    edited December 2019
    As I said... no problem, but you are determined to make one, aren't you? Time for you to argue with yourself for a while. It's what crazy people do.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    What say both of y'all take a breath and step back......
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I like Mcintosh gear, but, having owned some in the past I can say that I don't like it enough to own it today. I think the older tube stuff paired well with heritage Klipsch, and, for certain kinds of music. I don't want to own gear just for certain kinds of music with a couple kinds of speakers. I love the looks of their gear, but, I don't listen to looks. It does hold it's value well.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I like Mcintosh gear, but, having owned some in the past I can say that I don't like it enough to own it today. I think the older tube stuff paired well with heritage Klipsch, and, for certain kinds of music. I don't want to own gear just for certain kinds of music with a couple kinds of speakers. I love the looks of their gear, but, I don't listen to looks. It does hold it's value well.

Many people do love the looks, but I personally cannot stand the looks. It strikes me a gaudy and overkill. LOL. Variety is the spice of life. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2019
    All gear goes through their highs and lows, from McIntosh to Pass Labs and Pioneer to Marantz. They all tend to rise and fall. Even Fisher had their glory days. What separated McIntosh from the rest is that they tend to never abandon their heritage, and this improves the perceived value of the brand.
    The have had some spectacular products and some real dogs...(MS-750 comes to mind, which is nothing more than a brick because they sold the code for operating the web based side of the device and can no longer support it.)

Some like the new stuff, some don't, and that is ok. After all, this hobby is all about finding your personal path to audio bliss, and no two paths are exactly the same.

• halen
    Hermitism wrote: »

McIntosh MC452

Fantastic amp.

So far I’ve failed...

Personally, love it.

In my head, that sounded exactly like Chandler!

os27u4mp47ou.jpg

Hahaha. You can’t say that alone. You gotta say.

Chandler Bing!
  • halen
    Viking64 wrote: »

I'm not stirring the pot. I am watching you stir the pot with Skip, like you did over and over about the Legend speakers at his event.

Gospel truth.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    mpitogo wrote: »
    2 issues

1) fugly
    2) I don’t do tubes

Tunes RULE... if you don’t have tubes in your rig somewhere, you don’t know what you’re missing.

If you do have tubes in your rig, you probably haven’t heard world class solid state.

I had a world class SS amp - I came back to tubes.

Which one was it?

McIntosh MC452

Currently my room size does not allow for a large floor stander. My monitors are not that power hungry and a MC452 was too much of an amp for those speakers. Prior to the Mk VI version of the MC275 bass would get a bit loose at higher volumes and was corrected in the latest version. I have felt I have reached my end-all setup for my vinyl system. With the tubes I am getting a bit more warmth without the sizzle on the top end. My amp switchout was based solely on my speakers currently being used, plus my dealer offered me a very attractive trade-in since he had a buyer looking for a used MC452. Win-win for both parties.
    [
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I figured this amp would be big, but seeing it with people for scale makes me realize how massive it really is.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mhardy6647
    The ladies in blue could be dwarfs...

:|

In all seriousness, the perspective of the photo may be skewed (e.g., if it is a wide angle lens) -- but, presumably, the dimensions of the amp are published (nope, I haven't looked 'em up...).

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Another view of the monster amp
    0y50c22v187b.png
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Dang, I've seen car engines smaller than that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    0y50c22v187b.png

Yup.
    Definitely a Little Person.

B)
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »
    0y50c22v187b.png

Yup.
    Definitely a Little Person.

B)

Just about everybody would seem little when photographed next to that amp. Its dimensions are 17-1/2" (44.45cm) x 13-1/4" (33.7cm) (including feet) x 29-1/2" (74.9m). And it weighs 180 lbs.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Featherweight...the 900wpc Boulder 3060 is 450# and uses a car engine stand on the assembly line to move it around.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip