RT8 VS RTiA7

Are the RTiA7 better built than the RT8? I can buy the RT8's for 125.00 a pair or the RTiA7's for 300.00 a pair. That is a big price difference and I do not know if my ears would know the difference. Aesthetically, I really love the look of the RTiA7's over the RT8's. Any feedback on how these two speakers perform would be greately appreciated. I am new to the line of Polk (I am a Klipsh user) and would appreciate any help. Thank you!!

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    Yes
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,055
    The RTIA7's are much better then the RT8's. They where a good speaker back in the 90's and sounded pretty good. For that kind of money both pairs are well worth the asking price if they are in good condition.
    The RTIA7's are a very nice sounding speaker.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    I definitely would spend the extra cash and get the A7's.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited December 2019
    I think the ‘A7s MAY be less bright. I pray someone chimes in to agree or correct my estimate.

Felice Natale!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Thanks everyone! Looks like the general consensus is to go for the A7's. Thanks again!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,966
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    I think the ‘A7s MAY be less bright. I pray someone chimes in to agree or correct my estimate.

Felice Natale!

Oh no, the A7s will definitely be brighter than the RT8s which had the black silk dome tweeter, but the A7s are superior in every other way, including treble air and extension. I had the RT5s and RT7s years ago; the RT7s were really nice with the tri-lam dome tweeter and the 7 inch woofer and large cabinet. They could put out pretty solid bass and the tweeter was nicely balanced. The RT5s had the silk dome tweeter and smaller woofer and cabinet and I found them dull and boring all around fwiw...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer