Polk Audio AB800 In-wall restoration...

nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
edited December 2019 in Vintage Speakers
As most of you know, I have spent the better part of this decade trying to find a pair of these unicorns, as most of them are either still in use, or are tossed in a construction dumpster when the homes they were a part of get remodeled. Recently I purchased these from a seller on EBay, only to have them shipped without proper packing. They arrived smashed on both ends and with one frozen driver in each speaker frame.

kgok0vpkzt2u.jpeg
tprjbuj962ps.jpeg
uf1keu6gcdx7.jpeg
ijdndxxwapjx.jpeg
5e2is6607pex.jpeg

I have taken one of them apart to test the viability of saving them from being scrapped, even though I am going back and forth with the seller in search of a remedy from him. The results are looking spectacular....

qli0uc5sd7l1.jpg
07iiwiddd2ls.jpg
z7g3mmwj95ia.jpg

The closeup of the frame is where a big chunk was broken off, while the grill was dented and missing paint all across the face of it. Once I get the replacement driver from Dane, I will test them in the old enclosures to see that the work and then get new RDO’s for all 4 of them.

The seller has insisted on going through FedEx to get them to pay for damages and insists his packing was flawlessly executed. Of course, we know better. I asked him for 60.00 back and if he refuses to make a decent offer, I will just leave bad feedback after alerting EBay first so that I can protect my good name from any feedback he may leave. Hopefully it gets resolved, but at least these rare speakers will live on.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    John:

Have you been after them solely because they use the same surrounds/tweeters as SDA's?

If so, you now should be good to go as you can basically rebuild your own using older SDA drivers/tweeters, and you now have a crossover to use as a guide to build from, same with the speaker baffle.

Congrats on the work, they do look quite flawless.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Found these at GW, AB705's & AB805's.

A few days left, 1 bid at about 5 bucks so far.

Maybe some parts might work????

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/81444901
  • nooshinjohn
    Thanks for finding those, but the tweeter cutouts are not the same on them.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    As a seller on ebay you can NOT leave negative feedback. Sucks for the seller when buyers are d!cks, but its designed for cases such as this: the seller cannot retaliate.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    Today I soaked the grill cloth in a light solution of laundry detergent and bleach to remove the dirt and staining that has occurred over the past 25 years, and it worked quite well. I should have the first speaker finished later today, ready to swap out with one of the existing ones.
    I will take more pictures of the process on the next one.

• nooshinjohn
    The first speaker is ready for duty....
    timkxlei1ykh.jpg

kt2pppklqklz.jpg

8knfapdu9t5q.jpg

yc6a5bl3z5gx.jpg

• nooshinjohn
    Breaking down the other broken frame...
    u97kzcgpkhn0.jpg
    32k6ut3tlts6.jpg
    i9q0bpc13v0g.jpg

I decided to attach the broken pieces first before going to the trouble of taking them apart, and then only doing one at a time so I had a template to make for easy reassembly. The repairs are just as strong as the original and should stand up well for years to come.

• nooshinjohn
    The frame repaired... the pieces fit so well on this that I should be able to prim and paint with no filler.

9pwh3rqqais3.jpg
    axo7jr4295ge.jpg
    egtexvstkeox.jpg

I may do a bit of modeling putty on the center of this frame, as the bottom picture shows a slight depression I did not see with the naked eye...

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nice work John!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Looking good
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    purdy purdy
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    Thanks for the kind words guys. Jesse may be The Godfather of wood, but I am the master of plastic. I have been repairing broken plastic pieces for a long time now, going back to my days of installing cell phones in people’s cars. Occasionally a piece would break and I could repair this stuff, right down to the grain pattern and have it be better than new. It was a handy skill to have for the 15 years I did that kind of work, as I never had to pay for any damage done to a vehicle.

I was a legend, at least in my own mind. :p;)

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116

I was a legend, at least in my own mind. :p;)

Another “Legend” huh?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    Those repairs look great, John, very nice work.
    Can you briefly detail your process, i.e., what materials you used, etc.?

I like fixing stuff like this. Gives me more enjoyment than buying something new.
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    Installed the first one today...

ye1wqwjn5vhr.jpg
    oijep7jcod9d.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Very nice repair B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
  • nooshinjohn
    And the second frame repaired and installed.... cover your eyes if you are offended by gratuitous nudity...

hr63dvo450uh.jpg
    gr4o7g8fh1rg.jpg

The bad news is that with the new finish on these, my original set of AB800’s look like crap and will need a bit of cosmetic refurbishment before I put them where the 700’s were.

bcxu7p9ar6ur.jpg
    These little guys will get cleaned up and go in the ceiling for ATMOS when I get a chance to do it. I will have the only ATMOS rig on the planet that is voice matched vintage Polk!

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Very nice restoration.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • nooshinjohn
    Have them all redone and installed. They made a big difference in the sound quality of the HT setup. Much more impact and clarity to the sound field. The Pioneer sees them as being large speakers, and I have left it that way.