Velodyne Acoustics News

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,711
Audio Reference of Germany has purchased Velodyne Acoustics, makers of the finest subwoofers for the last 25 years, lock, stock and barrel. This is very good news.

https://www.velodyneacoustics.com/
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    You know back in the day Velodyne was the go to Subwoofer. They made the very best sounding subs for whatever you wanted to do with it.
    Then REL hit the market and some system designs Velodyne took a back seat to the new Kid on the block. REL made a pretty big splash and in some ways out performed Velodyne dollar for dollar.
    Then JL decided that cars was not enough and started to make home Sub's and again Velodyne took another step backwards. The JL subs made a huge case to buy them over the long loved Velodyne models.
    The Internet blew up and out came SVS which offered performance for way less than everyone being factory direct and some felt they where actually better than everyone else especially for the money. I never felt that way but I didn't have a deep understanding and experience with the SVS brand. I set up a few of them and didn't care for the performance back in the day.
    Today Velodyne is not a top brand anymore and don't really even get considered for system design. I also feel the company for whatever reason allowed themselves to get behind not stand proud and make a case for a reason to go back to them. They also started releasing cheaper models I assume to try and bring in some business to fund new projects but in the industry they just kept taking back seats to all others.

This news I'm hoping will kick start the brand. I was always proud of my Velodyne systems and really was internally sad when they just faded away.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • I think this is great news. Competition is good for everyone. I have only heard Velodyne a couple times in the past,and I was impressed with what I heard. I was a little standoffish on their products recently because of the change in their business plan. Like I said,great news,hopefully this will put them back in the saddle.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    This is great news. Hope they move in the right direction to get back on top.

I have had velodyne in the past. In fact I have a va-1012 that I have had since 1993’ish and it will still rock like the day I got it.

Earlier in the year I was researching to purchase a pair of subs and went with REL Carbons. I wanted to evaluate the velodynes but lack of dealer network kept me looking at the others.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    F1nut wrote: »
    <snip> Velodyne Acoustics, makers of the finest subwoofers for the last 25 years, lock, stock and barrel.<snip>

Eh, that's debatable. "One of" perhaps.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I still use my velodyne spl1200 all the time. ( original ) outside of a recap, its been a solid sub for close to 20 years. I hope Audio Reference can put them back on the map.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    erniejade wrote: »
    I still use my velodyne spl1200 all the time. ( original ) outside of a recap, its been a solid sub for close to 20 years. I hope Audio Reference can put them back on the map.

I spoke with the new owner via email, that is his plan and is already under way.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk