Is this a really dangerous AND dumb law, or am I misguided?

Options
The other day, I’m sitting in traffic at a red light. I’m about 12 cars back on a 6 lane (3 in each direction) artery in SLC. That’s when I hear what sounds like a gunshot right outside my drivers side window, and see a motorcycle ripping between the rows of cars waiting at the red light. Something on the rider or his motorcycle hit my side mirror and tore it off my truck. Just as he got to the front of the line of cars (by riding between them), the light turns green and he’s gone.

So I hop out quickly (in traffic) and grab one of the trim pieces to my mirror (most of it was still dangling by the wiring harness) and get back in my truck. I rolled the window down and brought the rest of the still-attached mirror into the cab, so as to keep it from scratching the **** out of the door. I called the sheriff’s department to report the accident (not that I had much info to give, as it happened so fast and motorcycle plates are so small). As I’m relaying the incident to the dispatcher, she asked me something that literally stunned me - “were you crowding the white line?” Excuse me?? “Well if you were, this incident may have been at least partially your fault.” WHAT? Apparently there was a new law passed last spring called “filtering”, and you guessed it, this new gem of a law allows motorcycles to “filter” between rows of stopped cars at traffic lights, and roll right up to the light.

Is it just me, or does this law seem completely asinine? Luckily, most of the damage to my truck was easily fixed, but it could have been much worse.
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited December 2019
    Options
    What state are you in? Lane splitting is legal in CA. I suppose the mirror incident is mostly the bikers fault, assuming you weren’t moving into the bike’s path.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    What state are you in? Lane splitting is legal in CA. I suppose the mirror incident is mostly the bikers fault, assuming you weren’t moving into the bike’s path.
    Yup, it was when we lived out there, too (late 80s/early 90s) -- always bugged the snot outta me, too.
    Folks in MA and sometimes even NH will do it, too -- it is in no way legal here, but motorcyclists are a headstrong lot.

Probably a good thing, too ('head strength'), as NH doesn't actually even require motorcyclists to wear helmets -- but that, predictably, doesn't always end well. :(

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Wow!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,329
    Options

I’m in UT. I called a cousin who is a State Trooper and asked him about it. He explained that it’s to protect motorcycle riders, as they are “sitting ducks” when stopped behind a car at a red light, especially with the explosion of distracted driving accidents. I can understand that reasoning, but I still think it’s a bad idea.

As for crowding the white line, he said that is not a “thing” - drivers are under no obligation to be any distance from the white line(s), so long as they are between them. I honestly don’t remember how close I was to the white line, but I do remember that a semi was next to me. I initially thought the semi had blown a tire, as that’s what it sounded like. I’m sure the motorcycle rider was crowding towards me, to distance himself from the semi... I think he should have at least stopped, but oh well.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited December 2019
    Options
    What a stupid idea.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    edited December 2019
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I think he should have at least stopped

100% Not enough people are honest and willing to accept responsibility when given a good enough chance of not being caught.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Dangerous. I see it often in other parts of the world, but even here in Michigan IIRC is still illegal.

If that guy popped off your mirror, he must've surely hurt himself. Surprised he didn't crash.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options
    Stupidity at it's finest.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    I'm a rider,and even if that was legal in NY,I still wouldn't attempt lane splitting. As far as the mirror,ya,that will leave mark!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    edited December 2019
    Options
    They do it Atlanta all the time, although Im unsure if its legal in GA or not. My other pet peeve about driving on I 85 here....cars weaving in and out of different lanes while speeding on top of it to save 5 minutes on their commute. Next thing you know theres a big **** accident and the whole interstate is shut down. WORST PART OF ALL....YOU HARDLY SEE ANY GA STATE PATROL CARS ANYWHERE to either clock speeders or pull these mothers over. End of rant....drive safely this holiday season!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Stop complaining we pay a lot of money for these clowns to come up with really dangerous AND dumb laws!
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Being a Motorcyclist for many years, I'll be the first to say that I don't care for Lane Splitting. It's dangerous and I think it pi$$es a lot of people off.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Makes you wonder who would be at fault if a door suddenly opened because somebody wanted to pick something up that fell on the floorboard?
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Yes. You are supposed to look before you do anything when driving.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    Options
    The moving vehicle is responsible for being in control at all times, so it would the one at fault.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    Options
    Wrong. You can’t jump in front of a moving vehicle, which is what opening a car door is.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb
    edited December 2019
    Options
    To me, driving in between lanes, even when traffic is stopped, flies in the face of every aspect of motorcycle safety.

When I got my motorcycle certification, they teach you to drive defensively, but also ride as though the drivers in the other vehicles cannot see you. This applies to vehicles driving along side you, on a side street waiting to get in, opposite direction waiting to turn, we're taught to expect that we are blind to those vehicles.

In between lanes just seems like the worst blind spot a motorcycle can be in.

To me, allowing that type of motorcycle driving, is just reckless.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Wrong. You can’t jump in front of a moving vehicle, which is what opening a car door is.

No, you're wrong. In your example one is a pedestrian, the other is still a vehicle.

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    Options
    Sorry Jesse. You are still wrong. You can’t open a car door in front of a moving vehicle. Doesn’t matter if that vehicle is a car or a motorcycle. If someone opens the door and cause an accident then that person is at fault. Especially if they open the door while on the road, and not parked on the side of the road.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    It’s just the law. Lane splitting is legal in CA, and if you open your door and cause an accident then you are at fault.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    The Utah law seems to have reasonable rules if they are followed such as go no faster than 15 mph when lane splitting between stopped traffic on a road with a speed limit no higher than 45 mph. The main problem seems to be the motorcyclist violated the cardinal rule to do it only when safe which means there has to be room to pass. It is not an absolute right of way.

Makes me think the broken mirror was done on purpose. Who hits a truck mirror hard enough to break it on a bike and doesn’t notice or stop?

And that dispatcher was flat wrong about lane crowding. Seems like the State needs to do a better job of explaining its rules to drivers.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,329
    Options
    The issue I see, is that when I’m driving in a lane, that is my lane, from white line, to white line. If I swerve in my lane, and don’t cross the white line, then how can I be penalized? Further, if I opened my door in my lane, how can I be penalized? In my case, my mirror was in my lane, so the problem becomes where does the motorcycle’s space come from? It’s dangerous to tell two different people (let alone vehicles) that they are entitled to the same space...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Nightfall
    Options
    Communists-Bumper-Sticker-URL-clear.png

• F1nut
    Options
    Sorry Jesse. You are still wrong. You can’t open a car door in front of a moving vehicle. Doesn’t matter if that vehicle is a car or a motorcycle. If someone opens the door and cause an accident then that person is at fault. Especially if they open the door while on the road, and not parked on the side of the road.

It's no different than if you stop for whatever reason and the vehicle behind you doesn't, it is their fault. The only time you would be at fault for a car door opening is if it was no longer secured to the vehicle in which case it is considered an unsecured load.

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    edited December 2019
    Options
    LOL. Okay you win. LOL

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options
    Well, you are "technically" both right. It completely depends on what state you are in. If you are in California, Bud is correct....as F'd up as that sounds. That's the law. With that said, you try that on the East Coast and yo' butt be shot at.....and Jesse would be correct.

It's a different world out there man. Common sense laws are something they lost many decades ago. It's like they try to outdo each other on idiotic laws.

With that said, I think I'll slide out now. I really don't give a damn because I don't live there. By choice. I thank the freedoms of America for the liberty to do just that. Stay away from stupidity.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • verb
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Even if it was legal here in Michigan, for many reasons, I wouldn't even think about squeezing this beast (03 Heritage) in between the lanes! :smile:
    0nbcnd2e16o8.png
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Even if was legal here in Michigan, for many reasons, I wouldn't even think about squeezing this beast (03 Heritage) in between the lanes! :smile:
    You would pull some Evel Knievel $hit and jump the whole dang intersection. (While wearing one of those Fonzie shirts that says "Aaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy" on it.)
  • verb
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Too close for comfort, IMO. Looks like he's 12-18 inches away from steel. Anything can happen. And that Dodge RAM right behind him is gonna get it's mirror busted off! :smile:

Short sleeve shirt, oh dear. Gotta wear a jacket!

I tend to avoid high traffic areas and times of the day. For me, it's all about safety.