Receiver Zone 2 function

How does a receiver with a "Zone 2" button work to power a third pair of speakers....if there are only binding posts for 2 pairs of speakers? I have a clunky speaker selector I would like to take out of the mix but cannot wrap my head around the zone 2 function in this case (?)

Comments

• monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    You'll need to specify the brand/model.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    Zone 2 is designed to power a single pair of speakers on any receiver. It's a pair of binding posts 2 channel usually only analog sources unless you have a newer model with built in DAC's to convert Digital signals to Analog.
    Zone 2 has it's own volume control and source select. You can select any source to listen to and any volume level you like.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited November 2019
    monepolk wrote: »
    +1

Usually you'll have to forgo powering a set of speakers in the main room(heights, wides, etc) in order to use the receiver's amp to power the zone 2 speakers. If you're using every channel of the receiver, then you'll need an external amp to power zone 2, provided the receiver has pre-outs for zone 2.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited November 2019
    DaveHo wrote: »
    monepolk wrote: »
    +1

Usually you'll have to forgo powering a set of speakers in the main room(heights, wides, etc) in order to use the receiver's amp to power the zone 2 speakers. If you're using every channel of the receiver, then you'll need an external amp to power zone 2, provided the receiver has pre-outs for zone 2.

Furthermore, if you have a zone 3 usually it’s preouts only, the receiver cannot power that third zone. I don’t really understand how you’re trying t power two sets of speakers with one zone two unless you get a multi room amp and use the zone two preouts. That’s what I did for years with my so acne sonamp 260x3.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • DaveHo
    After re-reading the OP, I think he may be using a 2 channel receiver with A & B speakers outs. In which case he'll definitely need a power amp for zone 2.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    DaveHo wrote: »
    After re-reading the OP, I think he may be using a 2 channel receiver with A & B speakers outs. In which case he'll definitely need a power amp for zone 2.

Hmm...I’ve never heard of a 2 channel receiver with a zone 2. Of course I have almost no experience with 2 channel receivers...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • DaveHo
    They're out there. Denon has a couple in their line or did at one time.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Its a Yamaha R-S500....and there are only 2 sets of binding posts. I think the zone 2 button is only for other sources and a separate volume control to zone 2. I think Im stuck w the speaker or a 2nd amplifier.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/2/330562/R-S700_S500_om_U-3.pdf

The manual there. Page 45 says zone 2 is to control other components, not drive speakers
  • DaveHo
    Back panel clearly shows a pair of RCA outs for zone 2. Connecting an amp to those gives you the ability to choose a different source and independently control the volume to that output.