Where to put surrounds?? - not an ideal room shape

stangman67
stangman67 Posts: 2,179
edited November 2019 in Speakers
Hey guys,

Thinking ahead a bit. I've got my media room/bar/hangout spot mostly setup but I cannot for my life of me figure out where the surrounds should go. The room is not ideal for a surround setup so I know there will be compromises to get any type of surrounds in.

I will start with the pics - these should give everyone an idea of whats going on. Constraints - speakers cannot be on the side walls because the wall not pictured has a bar installed on it and nothing on stands.

I am thinking either on the back wall (in wall RT65 or similar) or on the angled portion of the ceiling above the couch. (as far down in the wall as possible so the speakers are still aimed at the couch positions. Neither are ideal as the proper width is not there and listeners will be much closer laterally to the back left than the back right. Once again not ideal but its what I have to work with. Moving the tv towards the fall wall to improve this issue is not an option or I'd start cramping the LSIM707 in the corner on the right of the TV. The non angled part of the ceiling is too far forward and sound would be pointing down in front of the listener so not provided any kind of surround. I will eventually do atmos heights in the front in the ceiling but thats far down the road.

What think you? I'm leaning in the wall behind the couch for aesthetics and ease of install as I have access to the back of the wall in the storage cubby behind the couch.
Zach

pnsqx0vffyc3.jpeg
l4venlz3rmnz.jpg
icksbbputzwo.jpeg

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    In ceiling with a dual tweeter configuration
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Lostsoul123
    Lostsoul123 Posts: 28
    edited November 2019
    Get these and put them on each side of the sofa

bb6cfgla3oxn.jpg

All tube designed Hello Kitty boom box
    Invisible aluminum wireless Phazer speaker wire
    Free Spirit Teleport Preamp (Literally brings the artists into your living room)
    1.44 JW Flux Capacitor Mono Amps
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Stands are not happening, see original post. Where do you all suggest placing the I bceilijg speakers, on the slant or the flat ceiling in front of the couch? Seems in front of the couch would be a terrible spot for surround speakers
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Depends on the angle of the drivers within the speaker.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Can you take a picture from the TV location looking at the seating with a wider shot?
    From your pic's I strongly suggest going in ceiling one between the window and the slant of the roof line for the right surround speaker and the left channel surround placed equal distance away from the center of the seating .
    I'd also like to see a wider angle picture of the front of the room. It looks like you shifted everything over to the right , I'd like to see why you did that.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.