Options
2»

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    If it wasn't for people like you there would be no creamed corn. :|

Or candy corn. Is there even an expiration date for that?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Expiration dates are for chumps.
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    If it wasn't for people like you there would be no creamed corn. :|

Or candy corn. Is there even an expiration date for that?

Candy corn is not corn nor candy it's an abomination like creamed corn.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Ah in that case I feel great. I bought 14 bags of these the day after halloween & 20 bags of other goodies :blush:z65tt3unlehy.jpg
    Randy/Maine
  • afterburnt
    Options
    “When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing — they believe in creamed corn.” G. K. Chesterton
  • afterburnt
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Ah in that case I feel great. I bought 14 bags of these the day after halloween & 20 bags of other goodies :blush:z65tt3unlehy.jpg

https://youtu.be/7JW133F0AK4

1:31
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Close enough, give or take a week/month or so.
    Best damn cornbread you ever had has creamed corn in it, but this is the ONLY form I will eat canned creamed corn in:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24209/absolute-mexican-cornbread/

Now, homemade creamed corn is effing amazing!

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/homemade-creamed-corn/

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Spatz1946
    Options
    I try to use commonsense. For example:

Anything that is a three months or more past the expiration date or "Best By" date gets the heave ho.

Liquids that have to be refrigerated don't get opened beyond the expiration or best-buy date, and those that have been opened get the heave ho after a week, regardless of the dates.

Some dry stuff -- e.g., wheat germ, whole grain flour -- get rancid. Use them in time or lose them. Some others -- e.g., sugar -- don't expire. I confess to being a bit lax on spices. Of course, it doesn't make sense to risk a failure by using "aged" baking powder or baking soda.

Canned good, generally, I don't trust if they have expired, and I don't risk consuming them. For example: In my youth, I had a few bouts of food poisoning from jarred tomato sauce that had been around too long. Now, I know I'm older, and I think I'm wiser.

Meats get cooked and consumed within three days of purchase or they are history. I don't trust butcher operations, and I don't trust processed meats.

Fish: Smell fresh fish when you buy it. If it smells like fish, then don't buy it. Fish that I buy gets cooked and eaten ASAP. If I can't cook it immediately, I store it in the coldest part of the fridge on ice for up to a day. Then, I smell it before cooking, and if it smells like fish, sayonara.

This is just a list of a few of my "rules of thumb" off the top of my head.
    AKA "Moose68Bash" before Vanilla involuntarily decommissioned my original handle.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I had some 08 Hamburger Helper and it was just as good as ever.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    Options
    I have a neat can of cream of mushroom soup from 1987...but its almost the shape of a basketball and I cant use my can opener on it..
  • NotaSuv
    Options
    since we dry age our own meat it best to get that nice "it's time to throw it away" look before consuming....
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    "sell by" date which is not an expiration date. The expiration as told to me by the dairy delivery guys was 7 days after the sell by date.
    That's basically our mentality. Unless it smells or taste funny.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    Ah in that case I feel great. I bought 14 bags of these the day after halloween & 20 bags of other goodies :blush:
    03bpb2owrjkj.png
    Looks like a bag of teeth!
    I disabled signatures.
  • NotaSuv
    Options
    The death clock is quite useful in finding out our own expiration date....
  • NotaSuv
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Ah in that case I feel great. I bought 14 bags of these the day after halloween & 20 bags of other goodies :blush:
    03bpb2owrjkj.png
    Looks like a bag of teeth!

from the WV mountains is my guess
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Expiration dates? It's like the Pirates' code in Pirates of the Caribbean -- they're guidelines. B)

Except for really perishable stuff (milk, meat), they're usually "Best By" dates, and they are often more geared to sell more product than to serve any health and safety related purpose. :|

In terms of using out-of-date stuff --I could tell you stories. One of our standing jokes with old food in the house (e.g., in the freezer): "Who was President?"

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    My wife threw out my bottle of tabasco sauce.
    Really? it's aged for years in a barrel.
    According to the web site, it will lose flavor if left
    too long in the cupboard. But it never expires!
    I did buy a new one. what other product do you use a couple of
    drips at a time?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    When my father was in Europe during the winter of 1944/45, my grandmother sent him some "maple cakes" from Vermont. I think they might have been like the maple candy we have today. For some reason, he never ate them and brought them back home, perhaps as some sort of memento of his time in the war. :#

He saved them and oddly enough, I remember there being a little clear plastic thing (plastic bag/Tupperware) with something brown in it in our refrigerator (or maybe freezer) all through the 1970s that I never asked about. :o

Finally, in the mid-80s, my parents had a power outage when they were away for a few days, and the contents of that bag/Tupperware ended up as just brown liquid, so they finally tossed it out. About 40 years and no one ever got to taste them. :'(:p
  • afterburnt
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    My wife threw out my bottle of tabasco sauce.
    Really? it's aged for years in a barrel.
    According to the web site, it will lose flavor if left
    too long in the cupboard. But it never expires!
    I did buy a new one. what other product do you use a couple of
    drips at a time?

Couple of drips? I beat that bottle like it owes me money!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    Everyone in my house freaks out because I don't pay attention to expiration dates. Hell some of the best oxycodone I've ever had was like 8 years old. Shouldn't be any different with food right? I mean I just picked a couple of mushrooms from my yard and made some steak and mushroom fajita's. Not sure what they were but they were delicious!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Opioids improve with age, like Bordeaux.