Cherry LSiM 705’s for $399 each on Adorama

Options

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Don't forget they will need a considerable period of break-in.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,520
    Options
    back broken in no time. :#
    c4zvunv9k8k4.jpg
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Cyclesberuff
    Options
    It's been a week for me, 705's sound great.
    Very much an up grade from the 703's
    Better balance and distribution of bass.
    Same can be said for the mid range and tweeter, coming off less harsh and better separated
    Sounds like the mid range and tweeter are better balanced so the " s and t's " are not as pronounced
    I first heard brightness from the tweeters but that went away after 10 hours of listening and after about two days the bass really kicked in
    That's my 2 cents worth
    Love to hear and compare all the new reviews
    Primaluna Dialogue Premium Tube Amp
    Polk Audio LSiM705
    Marantz 6006 cdp... 500gb flash drive
    Audiolab m-dac
    Analysis Plus Oval 9 Speaker Cable
    Analysis Plus Oval One I/C's
  • CottageChz
    Options
    Got my mahogany 705s off Craigslist a year ago for the same price. Thought that was a great deal. Great speakers, though, very happy with them. Now I just wish I could have waited and gotten the cherry like I really wanted, new, for the same price. Haha
  • genjivn
    genjivn Posts: 101
    Options
    https://www.soriaudio.com/index.php?mid=sori_10&document_srl=40661821

They did a great job capturing the beauty of the cherry color. I just purchased a pair before they are gone. I was debating the 705 and 707 for a while but given my experience with the LSi25, I think I will like the 705 better. Too much bass can drown out the mid and high. If I need more bass, I will just add a Rel sub.

• genjivn2
    Options
    My old account (genjivn) banned for no reason☹️. Anyway, just want to share my horrible experience with UPS shipping. Both of the boxes were damaged. One was affected so that has to go back. The other seems fine but the bass driver is crooked to the left and that drives me nuts 😫. Send both of them back tomorrow 880t1jeipo88.jpeg
    a6vtpoblq9hl.jpeg
    attfiyhsoyej.jpeg
    5f8tskwr3wul.jpeg
  • genjivn2
    genjivn2 Posts: 3
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Look like they had a rough drive because the one that looks ok has all the screws loosen at the foot and one of the cone popped out. The rubber surround of the bottom driver was popped out as well. I did not bother to unpack the other damaged speaker.

I really want them because they look and sound really nice but with the way Adorama/UPS handle shipping, I just ask for a refund☹️
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    edited November 2019
    Options
    My 705’s were double boxed from Adorama? There was not a mark on ether box? Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • genjivn2
    Options
    Mine are also double boxed but were severely damaged. Probably due to long trip from NJ to TX. I may give it another chance and re-oder another pairs. Let’s see what happens. Taking them back to UPS is not fun at all
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,909
    Options
    My 705’s were also double boxed from Adorama and arrived in very good condition, no marks on box. I also live in Texas. I would give them another chance.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    Options
    My center came damaged like yours but mine was from Polk which was NOT double boxed but Polk immediately resolved it by sending me a new one right away. My 707's however came from Adorama which were double boxed. The boxes were beat all to hell but the speakers came out unharmed.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • Cyclesberuff
    Options
    Wow, that's too bad I wanted to hear your impression of the 705's
    Polk Audio LSiM705
    Audiolab m-dac
  • SIHAB
    Options
    My impression of the 705's is I'm glad I got them :D
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mak99
    mak99 Posts: 362
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I'm about to pull the trigger on some 705s for a two-channel system upgrade. I already have the cherry 707s for the media room which arrived two months ago via the big sale, and my black 703s just arrived this week for the "everyday" tv system (currently RTi28s/CSi40).

Sometimes being a bargain shopper has it's drawbacks...especially when the credit card bill comes due!

yl7b1smfrm44.jpg
    ^^ 703s breaking in via the mostly-Rega two-ch system as of yesterday. Inner towers are my old RTiA7s (media room upgraded to 707s) and the outer towers are my old, trusty, laid-back Wharfedale EM99s.

que9jfwz2bbq.jpg
    ^^ solid construction, beautiful finish...
    Main HT:JVC DLA-RS45135" Elite Screens fixed frame, 1.1 gainMarantz SR7007 (operating as pre-pro)Emotiva XPA-1 x3 (L+C+R), UPA-7 (surrounds)Oppo BDP-103D/BDP-83Toshiba HD-XA2Panamax M5410 Pro x3Polk LSiM707s, LSiC706, 80 F/X-LS, 65-RTSeaton Sound/MCCA MFW "Turbo" + custom Dayton SA1000 sub amp (orig. AV123 MFW-15)Velodyne SMS-1I/Cs: MP 12ga/4-cond (fronts); MP 12ga (surrounds), MP HDMI (all sources), some BJC sprinkled thruoutHarmony EliteSalamander Triple 40 C/B* still need to sell older but mint gear!!
  • SIHAB
    Options
    No money left for artwork. Just sayin' :#
  • mak99
    Options
    SIHAB wrote: »
    No money left for artwork. Just sayin' :#

What can I say? I'm a minimalist... :)

This is the last big room in the house that I've yet to fully redo - all I've done is repaint it a few years ago. That pesky day job and various activities just take up too much valuable time! As soon as I decide on new lighting (my weak excuse for being an accomplished procrastinator) the rest will happen quickly - yes, including artwork and some sound treatments. :p

It's a long skinny-ish room, about 30'x12.5'x8'. This end is for the gear, the remaining area is planned for comfy seating for playing board/card games, serious music listening, cocktails, etc. It could actually be a good room to host a local GTG for people to bring over gear for demo, shootouts, etc.

Re: artwork, I've had my eye on this picture for a while, to put on the wall above the gear - though buying the biggest size and getting it framed will cost quite a few coins...but it's such a fantastic photograph capturing the different reactions of the kids.

6m6n6yl9lzf3.jpg

^^ https://time.com/3879428/children-at-a-puppet-show-paris-1963/

Main HT:JVC DLA-RS45135" Elite Screens fixed frame, 1.1 gainMarantz SR7007 (operating as pre-pro)Emotiva XPA-1 x3 (L+C+R), UPA-7 (surrounds)Oppo BDP-103D/BDP-83Toshiba HD-XA2Panamax M5410 Pro x3Polk LSiM707s, LSiC706, 80 F/X-LS, 65-RTSeaton Sound/MCCA MFW "Turbo" + custom Dayton SA1000 sub amp (orig. AV123 MFW-15)Velodyne SMS-1I/Cs: MP 12ga/4-cond (fronts); MP 12ga (surrounds), MP HDMI (all sources), some BJC sprinkled thruoutHarmony EliteSalamander Triple 40 C/B* still need to sell older but mint gear!!
  • SIHAB
    Options
    ^^^ I would have guessed a Quarrymen show. :p
  • Cyclesberuff
    Options
    If I were a critic I would say my 705's are more like towerism and not cubism
    Polk Audio LSiM705
    Audiolab m-dac
  • SIHAB
    Options
    Loving my 705's after getting enough hours into them.
    I'm going to try some transparent speaker cables soon...
  • mak99
    Options
    Pulled the 705 trigger on Tuesday and they arrived today. Outer boxes had a few scrapes but nothing like my 707s experienced (luckily all speakers arrived intact).

Though I did discover that one of the 705s had one of the Powerport flares missing. How the hell could someone not notice that when being assembled at the factory?? Jeez! I'll call Polk in the morning to see if they can ship one out...

pepnrgt80qrj.jpg
    ^^ two port flares present! (left speaker; rear is facing right)

mk26hick0qh9.jpg
    ^^ rear one is missing... (right speaker, rear is facing left)

yy8d0gakrsnw.jpg
    ^^ I gotta sell the old towers!!
  • cnhang78
    Options
    It is weird that my account (genjivn/genjivn2) keeps getting banned. Common, I run out of email addresses to register new account already :-)

@mak99 one of mine came with the port flare popped out, but it was still trapped inside the base. I just have to re-attach it. Yours looks like someone at the factory forgot to put it in there.

I decided to purchase a second set after returning the damaged set. This time the boxes came intact, a little bit rough but no damage. They are beautiful speakers. I am happy now
    i4ql28h8thc3.jpg
  • cnhang78
    Options
    One of my boxes looks like it is under severe stress so the middle foam broken into pieces. As a result the speaker grill is bent, but that was an easy fix. I think if Polk puts one more middle foam, it would secure the speaker better and increase rigidity of the box. But as this speaker reaches its end of cycle, oh well, let hope that no one has to receive damage speakers anymore.
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    Options
    mak99 wrote: »
    Pulled the 705 trigger on Tuesday and they arrived today. Outer boxes had a few scrapes but nothing like my 707s experienced (luckily all speakers arrived intact).

Though I did discover that one of the 705s had one of the Powerport flares missing. How the hell could someone not notice that when being assembled at the factory?? Jeez! I'll call Polk in the morning to see if they can ship one out...

pepnrgt80qrj.jpg
    ^^ two port flares present! (left speaker; rear is facing right)

mk26hick0qh9.jpg
    ^^ rear one is missing... (right speaker, rear is facing left)

yy8d0gakrsnw.jpg
    ^^ I gotta sell the old towers!!

One of mine got knocked loose in shipping. It was bouncing around under the speaker along with the feet that had to be tightened because the speaker was rattling during heavy bass. I used some craft glue and it is nice and snug.
  • cnhang78
    Options
    @mak99 looking at it close up, I can see there is a hole where a peg is supposed to be, that is where the port flare can be snapped back in. You will need to ask Polk for the peg as well
  • mak99
    Options
    cnhang78 wrote: »
    @mak99 looking at it close up, I can see there is a hole where a peg is supposed to be, that is where the port flare can be snapped back in. You will need to ask Polk for the peg as well

^^ Good to know - thanks!

Yes, I noticed the one drilled hole and initially thought it was just an "oops", so I was going to ask Polk to send a replacement plinth. It's when I unboxed the second speaker that I realized it was meant to be there for the second flare. Oops, indeed!

And I just checked the 707s in the media room - all ports accounted for!
    cnhang78 wrote: »
    ...They are beautiful speakers. I am happy now
    i4ql28h8thc3.jpg

@cnhang78 - that picture of your 705 is about the best color/finish representation I think I've seen on the forum so far (at least the threads I've read). I thought the RTi/CSi cherry finish was nice but these LSiM's are in another league altogether. I especially like the LSiM's slightly rounded corners along the front/sides/rear, compared to the "hard" angles of the RTi/CSi.

Fun fact: The boxed 705s are considerably easier to haul downstairs than the 707s were. Even the unboxing/setting them into position was much easier. As a matter of fact, since living with the 707s for a couple months now the 705s seems a bit small to me for a beefy tower!

I actually would have preferred to buy a second pair of 707s for the 2-channel system but Adorama was already sold out...snooze you lose. :p
  • bms
    bms Posts: 182
    Options
    Does anyone know if that will be the last we see of the 707/705 Adorama blowout deals?
    bms
    Family Room:
    Onkyo TX-RZ920
    Outlaw 2200 monoblock amps x 3
    Sony UBP-X700
    Sony A80J 77” OLED
    Polk LSiM 705’s
    Polk LSiM 706
    Polk LSiM 703’s
    Polk RTi4's
    Dual SVS PB13-Ultra’s
    PC13-Ultra

Bonus Room:
    Onkyo TX-SR806
    PS3
    Panasonic TC-P42G10
    Polk RTi10's
    Polk CSi5
    Polk R50's
    SVS PB10-ISD

For sale:
    Onkyo TX-SR603X
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Who knows?
    Remember the ol saying.
    Study long, study wrong.
    Or the other famous one.
    Ya snooze ,ya loose.
    Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Or, he who hesitates mastur...... B)
  • bms
    Options
    Double touché...and well-deserved.👏
    bms
    Family Room:
    Onkyo TX-RZ920
    Sony UBP-X700
    Sony A80J 77” OLED
    Polk LSiM 705’s
    Polk LSiM 706
    Polk LSiM 703’s
    Polk RTi4's
    Dual SVS PB13-Ultra’s
    PC13-Ultra

Bonus Room:
    Onkyo TX-SR806
    PS3
    Panasonic TC-P42G10
    Polk RTi10's
    Polk CSi5
    Polk R50's
    SVS PB10-ISD

For sale:
    Onkyo TX-SR603X
  • bms
    Options
    Just ordered 703's. No more "mastur..." here lol.
    bms
    Family Room:
    Onkyo TX-RZ920
    Sony UBP-X700
    Sony A80J 77” OLED
    Polk LSiM 705’s
    Polk LSiM 706
    Polk LSiM 703’s
    Polk RTi4's
    Dual SVS PB13-Ultra’s
    PC13-Ultra